U.S. supreme Court case - Big decision ahead

VikingsGuy

This was an awful ruling by "conservative" SCOTUS Gorsuch. The other SCOTUS justices you'd expect to rule this way.

As our Western Civilization falls further into Clown World, we will continue to see more of these issues come up & will continue to have to bear these burdens. It is unfortunate for Conservation in Western Civilization at large.
"Awful" because you don't think parties should honor contracts or treaties? It is easily fixed if the fate of western conservation is truly at risk - Congress and the Pres can write whatever new rules they will. That's how our constitutional government is designed to work.

Jed Smith

It is easily fixed if the fate of western conservation is truly at risk - Congress and the Pres can write whatever new rules they will. That's how our constitutional government is designed to work.
Ah, but is it? Once the judicial/legal system becomes terminally corrupted, our form of modern gubmint loses its critical 3rd leg. "Congress and the Pres" only 1 of 3 legs, no?

VikingsGuy

Ah, but is it? Once the judicial/legal system becomes terminally corrupted, our form of modern gubmint loses its critical 3rd leg. "Congress and the Pres" only 1 of 3 legs, no?
Our judicial system has become too complex, expensive and slow for my tastes but it is not corrupt. It is one of the most independent court systems the world has. But of course it has political influences, and always has.

Gila

I think the Tribes In NM are very different people from the Montana Tribes.
Actually, there are other matters in New Mexico beyond the reservations. The land grants issues are heating up again. The residents of these land grants believe that parts of the National Forests belong to them and the game is theirs for the taking. Just a month ago a local rancher told me that members of a land grant had ganged up on him and tried to remove him from his ranch. The local media doesn't like to report on these issues as they have been going on for a very long time.

The contract is between the states and the Federal Government. Treaties are not contracts. A treaty is a formally concluded and ratified agreement between countries. The Crow are a sovereign nation. The Crow treaties take on the characteristics of a conditional surrender based upon their right to exist. I am in no position to agree or disagree with the SCOTUS decision. I am of the opinion that we can come up with agreements that recognize the Tribes' needs to subsistence hunt and minimize the impact to Sport hunting. As Spock once said: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

Last edited: