Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Two Southern Boys Head North...WAYYY North!

Excellent story so far!

General question- I’m curious why people don’t shoot coyotes while hunt? I heard and read this all the time. I used to be this way also but now shoot them any chance I can. I’ve shot a coyote and walked 10-15 yards around the hill and deer are feeding there. I don’t think a distant gun shot scares away deer.
I go back and forth on this one. Sometimes I will and sometimes I won't. It's situation dependent, for me at least.
There are times I have shot them without hesitation, and like @TOGIE said, I may have scared off a buck in the process.
But there are times I have shot them and it seemingly had no impact on the deer hunting (I remember shooting one one time, and not 30 minutes later, killed one of my best whitetails to date).

We hunt them a lot on our place in Texas. If I've been killing them pretty consistently and I'm deer hunting (and know there's a good buck around), it's more likely they get a pass. If it's been a spell since I have killed one, it's more likely it's going to be a bad day for them.

Long story short, it just depends on how I'm feeling in the moment.

Top notch! Congrats on a great hunt and two beautiful bucks. Around here, we shoot every coyote we see and the deer, turkeys, etc are thankful.

I shot a doe during the December muzzle loader season a couple years ago. I reloaded and stayed where i was as I had another tag. Within 30 minutes, I watched a coyote approach my deer with hostile intentions… the coyote took the next shot.

No, unfortunately not.
Of course, once I said to T-Beau that no more coyotes are getting a pass, we didn't see another one that was within range or around long enough to get a shot off.

One of their southern kinfolk ate a bullet over Thanksgiving week though.

Good story! I do have to correct you on 1 thing though. If you can see a coyote it is IN range. Every coyote, within sight deserves to get a bullet lobbed in its direction. IMG_3838.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back