Turkeys - lets see em

Blackhills opening day, coldest turkey week ever! Birds were tough this year, i got mine but buddy didnt fill his tag which is crazy but birds didnt cooperate in the negative windchills and foot of snow. wonder why....lol

Attachments

• KIMG0776.JPG
    KIMG0776.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
I’m apparently unable to talk to turkeys still so I put the sneak on this one yesterday. He was grilled today on the Traeger and we had a lunch feast with immediate family (Who are also, coincidentally my coworkers). I hope everyone else is able to get out and enjoy spring during all of this. I miss my friends!
192F683B-5798-4D5E-9A71-5528F9928497.jpeg

Tough 1st week in North Carolina. On the land I hunt gobblers are covered up with hens and not very responsive to calling so far. Yesterday afternoon this gobbler and a hen were already in the isolated field where I was going to set up and I was able to get close enough for a shot.

IMG_1837.jpgIMG_1838.jpg

Tough 1st week in North Carolina. On the land I hunt gobblers are covered up with hens and not very responsive to calling so far. Yesterday afternoon this gobbler and a hen were already in the isolated field where I was going to set up and I was able to get close enough for a shot.

View attachment 137146View attachment 137147
That's a heck of a set of spurs! Limb hanger for sure!

2020 Idaho birds. Kind of amazed how much I love hunting them considering how much I used to hate it

Attachments

• E8FF5A4B-21DE-4F76-9A37-EB5E1965963D.jpeg
    E8FF5A4B-21DE-4F76-9A37-EB5E1965963D.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DEF20103-FBE0-4BC1-85F5-37FAFFA0FB13.jpeg
    DEF20103-FBE0-4BC1-85F5-37FAFFA0FB13.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 18
I was able to finish up my spring season on Tuesday. Since the start of the season I’ve been messing with a bunch with multiple gobblers and hens that make their way to a 50 acre field not long after flying down. They would occasionally gobble at my calls but I couldn’t get them to commit. Tuesday they made it by me again and were strutting with hens out in the field again. Not having a better idea I decided to go after them and see if I could get in front of them. After about 1.5 hours of covering a lot of ground and a bit of sneeking I worked my way through the surrounding woods and thicket to other side of the field and was able to position myself within 35 yards of 6 hens and 2 gobblers. When one of the gobblers strutted through a small opening in the underbrush at the field edge I was able to make a shot and fill my last tag. He had pretty good spurs of about 1.5 inches. 06768469-9890-4E15-B307-8AD28E848311.jpeg1F3BBA9A-4924-4A4A-AE25-BA998CBC9A16.jpeg

Last edited:
Had an awesome hunt with my 18 year old daughter and 7 year old son in home state of Oklahoma. We walked in to the property about 10:30 am. We left our ground blind at a different place so we cut some cedar branches and brushed in some mesquite type brush and maked a natural blind. My daughter took my 7 year old son behind some bushes to go #2 while I was finishing up the blind. A siren in the distance caused a turkey to schock gobble 3 or 4 times behind us roughly 100-150 yards. My daughter was about 30 yards away and looked over at me almost panicked when she heard the gobbles. I motioned for her to hurry up and get over to me. We got in the cedars we just cut and set up. I called a few times with no response. About 10 minutes later a Tom, hen, and Jake showed themselves about 100 yards away. Slowly they worked themselves our way. The Tom couldn't take it anymore. He came in to fight the decoy. I'm a taxidermist so I mount my own, they work. It was my turn to shoot so I decided I wanted to kill a turkey with a .410. Killed him at less than 20 yards. Had no idea he had multiple beards.
10.5"
7 5/8"
7.5"
4"
1" Spurs but only weighed 17 pounds. I couldn't believe it. I've killed close to 50 toms but never one with multiple beards. We spent more time making the blind than it took to kill the bird. Awesome memories.
Nevermind, types all of this up and can't figure out how to post pics.

Back