Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Turkey scouting

I wonder how much of this is influenced by people being out of work/school this year. I heard last Friday opening day of 2nd season was packed on public.
There were 5 trucks in my area from as far away as Decatur county. That’s 5 hours away. Not 1 of the 5 was from Allamakee county where I hunt and live.

Guys! I got a gobbler to come within 50 yards. But he came in silent, and I only saw a red head for a split second, then he disappeared. It was great though! Had to get to work, so I abandoned him and tried to sneak out quietly. Found a hen on private on the way out in the area he seemed to be headed to, so I'm going to try to set up between there and his roost this evening!

As always, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Guys! I got a gobbler to come within 50 yards. But he came in silent, and I only saw a red head for a split second, then he disappeared. It was great though! Had to get to work, so I abandoned him and tried to sneak out quietly. Found a hen on private on the way out in the area he seemed to be headed to, so I'm going to try to set up between there and his roost this evening!

As always, thanks for all the advice everyone.
Good luck. Sounds like you are on the right path

The turkeys were gobbling like mad today from 12:30-1. I was outside doing yard work and couldn’t do anything about it as my next season starts later next week. The morels should be starting to pop and the turkeys are fired up!!

They just don't seem too interested in me for some reason or get close and then spooked by something.
I have had that problem. If I think I know where the Tom is at I like to set my decoy 25 or 30 yards on my backside so if he hangs up 50 yards from my decoy he is in range of me! I also like to set up with a hill between us if possible so when he crests the hill, Boom!

Saw one hen on public last Saturday morning, no toms nearby. Probably could have hunted the area longer. Had some gobbling at a different spot, and once we got closer figured out they were on the opposite side of a creek/wetland on private land, hiked out and drove around to a different 400 acre chunk of state land that was closer. A couple vehicles already parked at turnouts, saw a couple hens on the private land where the gobbling was happening.
Was thinking about going back to that area this weekend, but then I managed to get permission to walk through a small chunk of private to hunt some landlocked land closer to home. Limited access since any other hunters would be private landowners bordering it. Nice ridge with openings with fields and pastures nearby that I have seen turkeys on, so should be a prime spot. I just asked for access for spring hunting. May need to inquire about deer hunting for the fall if all goes well.

The property is awesome, but not the best for turkeys. They are sticking to the lower edges and going into different private land after coming off roost. The ridgetop has some big meadows that I thought would be good but no turkey sign up there. Might be worth it to sit and wait for daytime movement. More deer and elk than I have ever seen in such a small semi-public land spot. 20+ of each the last two mornings. One spike elk still holding both antlers.

So I called in a wolf today...I dont think I'm doing this turkey hunting thing right.
I’ve never done it but it is common for guys to call in coyotes around here when they are turkey hunting. All predators are opportunists. If they think there is an easy meal they will give it a try! If you can fool a wolf I’d say your calling is pretty good and your camouflage is even better!

Had Wolves howling around my tent in New Mexico 10 days ago. 4-6 of them . The next day 4 Jakes come thru the same park and a guy shot one. I don't do Jakes ,passsed up 3 o 4 opportunities over there . They are for kids or first timers. sorry , no offense to those that shoot spikes. I only spent 3- 4 days in the woods. Went over way to early. got Burn't out and at 64 its a bitch climbing hills at 8-9k ft. One of the few Turkey tags i have ever ate. But I have killed My share. I volunteered to take a first Timer in Az. Friday in My fav. Unit. Had a Bird roosted in one of My honey holes Thursday night waiting for us and the hunter was an older guy ,68 and he couldn't get out of bed. If I had an AZ. tag I would of been done. Keep at it Guys.,,,,,,,,,,BOB!

So I called in a wolf today...I dont think I'm doing this turkey hunting thing right.

I called in a cougar once. I was hunting in a state when the season ended at 4:00 pm. I was looking for a roost tree and didn't have (couldn't) a firearm. Dang thing followed me back to the truck. Those mountain critters are dialed in to get a turkey dinner.

I have called in 4 bobcats over the years. One in AZ., One in Oklahoma , and 2 in New Mexico in 4 years of turkey hunting there. ...............BOB!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back