Turkey scouting

All I'm seeing are lone hens on public. I'm not really sure what that means?
I'm hoping the toms start roaming more later in the season but I also dont really know what to expect as this is my second year. Right now I'm just hiking around with a bow it feels like. I haven't heard any gobbling on public. I can see them on private on the way in but today they weren't talking much.
If there are hens there will be toms. Hens are patternable. Try to learn about their pattern and you will soon find Tom. Good luck!

If there are hens there will be toms. Hens are patternable. Try to learn about their pattern and you will soon find Tom. Good luck!
Awesome, thanks! The same thing happened last year, I saw a hen in the same spot for weeks but couldn't find the Tom around but maybe I wasnt around when he was. Fingers crossed!

Awesome. That is a gobbler. According to Dr Turkey (recent Meateater podcast) all Jake's should have a full fan by summer. So he would have been a sometime last summer if he is a 2 year old.

Spurs don't indicate age, so I wouldnt get hung up on that.

I wonder he may just have a funky fan.
I have killed many Merriams and mature ones . Most don't have big Spurs like back in the Mid West or the East, cause of the Rocky terrain wears them down. The Goulds here in Southern Arizona at maturity might have half " Spurs.I killed a old Goulds here 3 years ago and the game warden checked it and said they were bigger than average. they were only 3/4 of an inch and a 10 inch beard. I am allmost 64 and killed a lot of birds and my biggest spurs were on my Rio, that lived in fields..................BOB!

My son and I went out saturday morning for our first hunt, it was a great time--still kicking myself for not taking any pics :(-- heard 2-3 different gobblers, a couple were far away, one was responding, unfortunatley he was across the stream so that was cool. My 5 year was getting antsy about 1.5 hours into it so after a break of no gobbles, we packed up and walked back. Getting close to the truck we turn the corner on the trail and theres a Tom with 3 hens, unfortunatley it was too late and they spotted us, so there was no chance at him.

Did not go sunday, it was cold, went out this morning and I didnt hear a single bird (barometric pressure was dropping 29)? last day is tomorrow but not sure I want to burn my son out, he was tough to get out of bed today
so I may just head out myself; we also have the last weekend in May to go which I would have more confidence then vs flocked up birds

I have killed many Merriams and mature ones . Most don't have big Spurs like back in the Mid West or the East, cause of the Rocky terrain wears them down. The Goulds here in Southern Arizona at maturity might have half " Spurs.I killed a old Goulds here 3 years ago and the game warden checked it and said they were bigger than average. they were only 3/4 of an inch and a 10 inch beard. I am allmost 64 and killed a lot of birds and my biggest spurs were on my Rio, that lived in fields..................BOB!

You need to tall to Mike Chamberlain, the Wild Turkey Biologist. In his studies spur length seems to have everything to do with the characteristics of the sub species and not the terrain in which they inhabit.

Look into the recent Meateater podcast in which he talked about lots of turkey bio stuff. A must listen for a dedicated turkey hunter.

Saw one hen on public last Saturday morning, no toms nearby. Probably could have hunted the area longer. Had some gobbling at a different spot, and once we got closer figured out they were on the opposite side of a creek/wetland on private land, hiked out and drove around to a different 400 acre chunk of state land that was closer. A couple vehicles already parked at turnouts, saw a couple hens on the private land where the gobbling was happening.
Was thinking about going back to that area this weekend, but then I managed to get permission to walk through a small chunk of private to hunt some landlocked land closer to home. Limited access since any other hunters would be private landowners bordering it. Nice ridge with openings with fields and pastures nearby that I have seen turkeys on, so should be a prime spot. I just asked for access for spring hunting. May need to inquire about deer hunting for the fall if all goes well.

I’m pretty confident my first bird this year was one I got gobbling two weeks before season at 330 in the afternoon. I killed him shortly after sunrise the first day I hunted within a hundred yards of where I heard him earlier.

I’m pretty fortunate to have turkeys really widely distributed where I’m at, so almost anywhere has potential it seems. Most of my scouting is just a result of going out hiking and shed hunting in the spring and doing some calling while out to locate birds

The last two nights there have been storms roll through that last about 20-30 minutes. The birds have been flocking to fields immediately after the rain quits. I have been being lazy and not getting up early enough to listen. I can hunt again next week. I should probably figure out where the birds are roosting. If you look closely you can see a few turkeys to the left of the rainbow in the grass. Unfortunately this is not on public ground. 1587647215544.jpeg

4th season opener on 4/29 is forecast to be windy and wet. I’m thinking I might skip it, then take the morning off on the 30th and 1st to beat weekend warriors and hordes of mushroom hunters on public.

Ok, can somebody help out a poor rube? I've been using "henned up" incorrectly. Flocked up means the birds are grouped together, henned up means they've paired off?

Ok, can somebody help out a poor rube? I've been using "henned up" incorrectly. Flocked up means the birds are grouped together, henned up means they've paired off?
Paired...not exactly. There are more hens than toms/jakes out there. After the fly down the toms like to hang with the ladies. Not usually in large flocks like you see in the winter. A couple hours after sunrise the ladies are done feeding, and go sit on their eggs for the day. The toms leave them at this point (no longer “henned up”) and might be on the move looking for a hen that is not sitting on eggs and could be bred, even if there are none in the area.

Last year I killed one tom on the move looking for a hen, but the last two toms I killed were paired with a hen, but abandoned her for (fake) competition.

Paired...not exactly. There are more hens than toms/jakes out there. After the fly down the toms like to hang with the ladies. Not usually in large flocks like you see in the winter. A couple hours after sunrise the ladies are done feeding, and go sit on their eggs for the day. The toms leave them at this point (no longer “henned up”) and might be on the move looking for a hen that is not sitting on eggs and could be bred, even if there are none in the area.

Last year I killed one tom on the move looking for a hen, but the last two toms I killed were paired with a hen, but abandoned her for (fake) competition.
Thank you sir. That makes sense.

4th season opener on 4/29 is forecast to be windy and wet. I’m thinking I might skip it, then take the morning off on the 30th and 1st to beat weekend warriors and hordes of mushroom hunters on public.
Lately there hasn’t been such a thing as a weekend warrior, everyday has been busy. I am glad I went first season.

It's legal here, but is some times hard to get myself back out in the evening after doing a couple days waking up at four

Lately there hasn’t been such a thing as a weekend warrior, everyday has been busy. I am glad I went first season.
I wonder how much of this is influenced by people being out of work/school this year. I heard last Friday opening day of 2nd season was packed on public.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back