Turkey Hunts

Panda Bear

I have only hunted them in B.C. and wanted to hunt a different turkey breed. I asked April, and she said that the Ocellated was the prettiest breed of turkey that she hunted. But she said she did so in Mexico and was not sure how safe Mexico is today and that they could now be hunted in Belize. She likes Belize but did not hunt there. She suggested I ask the fellows here

1. Is it safe to hunt in Mexico today ?
2. Has anyone here hunted in Belize ?
3. Where in the States do they offer good Turkey hunting ( Not Merriami, as that is what is in B.C. and I would want to do something different )
4. B.C., is Bow, Shotgun or Rim Fire Rifle. What is predominately used in the States ? Rifle or Shotgun ?

thanks

Can't answer the first two but if I were to take a trip for turkey it would be Osceola in Florida. Laws vary as to whether rimfire is allowed. Everyone I've ever met uses shotguns.

Good turkey hunting in most corners of the US, but I think Nebraska and Kansas are pretty hard to beat. Both have a lot of hybrid subspecies, but I bet you won't mind what color they are when they're strutting into shotgun range.

I have only ever hunted turkey with bow and shotgun (Illinois and Tennessee). I've never heard of rifle hunting turkey in the states, but there are a lot of states I haven't hunted in.
If you are interested in Osceola you have to go to Florida.
North of there from the Mississippi River and East you will only find Easterns. West of the Mississippi you can find some Easterns but more Rios and Merriams, but you would need to check on specifics by state.
I live in Illinois and it is not a great place to hunt turkey if you are not a resident. There are very few public land tags available in the spring.
I took a trip to Tennessee last year and while I was unsuccessful in my limited time, there was a lot of public hunting area and the season is long. If I had more time I am sure I could have brought a couple home with me.
Good luck with your hunt and please share the story if you get out.
PM me if you would like more info about my Tennessee trip last year. I could potentially save you some time by sharing what I learned.

Good turkey hunting in most corners of the US, but I think Nebraska and Kansas are pretty hard to beat. Both have a lot of hybrid subspecies, but I bet you won't mind what color they are when they're strutting into shotgun range.
+1
g.png

We cougar hunted in Mexico with no problem, but have not Turkey hunted there
Have not been to Belize
Shotgun ( but some use a Bow )
The Rio Grande is not as pretty, but Texas has plenty of them. If Texas rocks your boat, shoot me a PM

To the 5 turkey hunters who responded, thank you. I am off to work now but wanted to thank those who offered help before I left. It is appreciated.

Randi, maybe Texas. Could one hunt Whitetail during Turkey season ?

TheGreyRider, That is one beautiful bird. April was correct, they are beautiful, thank you I have sent off a couple of emails and am also looking at the ruins around Cancun. Do they have shotguns for their clients ?

TheBenholye. Excellent information, Thank you. Florida would be another interesting place to visit, in addition to the Turkey hunt. TheBenHoyle, do you know if you can hunt alligators year round or are there "seasons" ?

RWC101 and Madtom, thank you. I was hoping to combine the trip with other hunting if possible, as well as things like , in Texas, the Alamo and Whitetails-- in Florida, maybe Disneyworld and Alligators, In Mexico, the Aztec ruins interest me----But all three places have WARM weather :love: Also, April said the Hill Country in Texas is pretty and down south of, I think she said Houston, is some places that have HUGE Whitetail Deer ( but I may have the location wrong )

Tho I have not hunted the occelated bird, I know many that have and they say it plenty safe. You have options within driving distance for several other sub species. WA for Rios and Easterns, MN/WI for Easterns, SW Idaho (draw hunt) for Rios.
Take a scattergun or stick and sting, rifles for spring birds sends chills down my spine!

Glass Eye, beautiful. We are going to do this. What a beautiful turkey.

Why dont more turkey hunters hunt them. Seems to be so many turkey hunters but so few that hunt the ocellated ? My husband has started the ball rolling .

Thanks Glass Eye and Greyrider

@Panda Bear if you want to get two different sub species of turkeys Kansas is a good choice. OTC tags, and depending on the zones you hunt in, two spring birds are possible. We also have some of the longest seasons to hunt. A full two months to hunt if you are a youth, or disabled, and at least seven weeks for archers and six for shotguns.

Easterns live in the first three counties west of Missouri, and Rio Grandes in the NW and North Central zones. There is a fair amount of public lands attached to water impoundments throughout the state, and a decent WIHA ( walk in hunting area) program as well.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back