Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Turkey Hunting Rookie

Don’t discount blinds. Turkeys can be very easy to pattern. In farm country don’t discount some long distance scouting and a nicely hidden pop-up blind. Calls and decoys not necessary. Not as fun as runnin and gunnin, but it’s often more effective.

Find some high points on your maps close to the bottom land you are hunting and go out and listen for gobbles at dusk and early morning..

I'm of the opinion that the right decoys and the right configuration are helpful in the springtime. I like the Flextone turkey decoys, they have several different options, all with pretty good detail at a good price.

Easy answer is find turkeys first, then make friends. If you have turkeys to hunt, you will be able to network to find an experienced turkey killer to call for you.

Also, dekes are lame. Just don't. You'll learn faster and be better off in the long run. Also, dekes are lame.

When I was getting into turkey hunting I felt I learned a lot from watching the old Primos, "The Truth About Turkey Hunting" videos. One episode they joke about "calling too much and calling too loud", where they were cutting, cackling and getting tough birds excited. That one's paid off for me on several occasions. I have decoys but never use them. I like to be mobile and move into position quickly. My brother is much more methodical and uses decoys. He shoots more turkey but he's non-stop from dawn till dusk and regardless of weather. I'm a daylight till 10am fair weather turkey hunter.

You have a lot of good advice but here is my two cents

1) Decoys can be useful with birds that aren't hunted hard, usually a hen decoy works best for me. Also, be cautious if you use a jake or tom decoy in crowded areas. It is sad to say but there are some reckless people out there.

2) Only use your crow call to locate birds, you will only get a shock gobble out of this. Some of the most fun hunts are when you set up and call that old tom in to you. Get comfortable with at least a slate or box call with clucks and purs.

3) I tend to look for large cottonwood trees in creek bottoms. They will use these as roost trees and its generally a good place to start. However, we have merriams where I hunt in a pinyon, juniper, and sage brush dominated landscape so that is probably not relevant to your situation.

4) My extra full choke on my 12 gauge shooting 3" 5 shot has yet to fail me!

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, the greatest learning tool is to get out and experiencing things for yourself. Good luck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back