Yeti GOBOX Collection

Turkey Hunting Rookie

SRW

I've declared 2021 the year of the gobbler. I've never hunted turkeys -- seen many while deer hunting, but I don't suppose that counts. I realize these are tough birds to kill and that my odds of success may be rather low. But, I am trying to learn everything I can before the season comes in.

Any seasoned vets out there that are willing to offer some advice to a rookie?

I've got a few specific questions, but any other advice is most welcome. If it matters, I'll be hunting Easterns in the Southeast on public land -- primarily in river bottoms and hardwood type areas, with some pretty rugged topography in places.

1. How necessary do you consider a decoy? I like to be fast and light as much as possible but will tote a decoy if it is mission critical.

2. I seem to hear varying opinions on the importance of calling. I am obviously not an experienced caller, so plan to carry a crow/owl call and either a box or slate call. Given my ignorance, I don't want to overdo it with subpar calling. Is this the best approach, or would you advise spending a lot of time getting good with various types of calls before I hit the woods?

3. I'm using OnX to do some e-scouting before going boots on the ground to look for sign. Any tips on what to look for on OnX that could indicate promising turkey areas?

4. Perhaps less important than the other questions, but do you have a preferred shotgun load and/or choke tube for turkeys?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!!!

I always have a decoy with me. Many styles will pack down so they aren't a big deal to haul.

Being able to do purrs and yelps are the two most important calls you can make, at least for a beginner. Practice those and you'll be off to a good start, but you don't need to be perfect. Some of the worst sounding turkey calls I've ever heard have come from hen turkeys themselves.

A slate works well, a box is easy to use. Once you're confident on those you can start looking at using diaphragm calls and expand the vocalizations you make like cuts and kee kee runs. Crow or owl call works fine for a locator.

Creek bottoms, edges of clearings, ag fields and other food sources are what I focus on. Spend some time scouting, pre-dawn and dusk are good times to be around as you'll hear them sounding off on the roost trees they choose.

Most any brand designated as a turkey load with 4-6 shot generally works fine. Primos sells some good choke tubes for turkey hunting, but shoot some patterns and see what combos work well for your shotgun. You may fine that your OEM full choke patterns great.

Like Jeff said, even real turkeys can sound terrible. Don't stress to much on how you sound as much as what you're saying. Do some research and figure out what sounds to (attempt to) make and when.
Decoys are great at times. However, don't get too obsessed with them. Often if you are using a single hen decoy, dominant Toms will see the decoy and hang up out of range expecting the hen to come to them. Not using a decoy can often create some curiosity and bring those Toms in. I've killed numerous Toms without decoys.
Myself and others I hunt with really like the combo of Winchester Long Beard XR shells with a Carlson extra full choke. If your gun takes 3-1/2" shells I'd say go with those, but definitely not necessary. 5s or 6s will do just fine. But yes, pattern your gun and see what it likes best. I would say there is absolutely no point to dish out the money for the TSS shells. Like 3-1/2" shells, yes they work but definitely not necessary and they are incredibly expensive.

My best advice to you would be to find someone down there willing to take you out and mentor you. Its not overly difficult, but nuances seem to be the key in killing toms. I would also tell you to not be afraid to knock on doors and ask for access.

1. I'm not a fan of using decoys on public land. Especially if you get into some thicker stuff. There's a risk associated with it and they really aren't going to do much unless they can be seen from a longer ways off. Most of the places I hunt (also Southeast public land) the bird would be in range before he could see a decoy. There's plenty of places on public that they could be used though if you really want to. In those cases, a lone hen would be my choice. One of the cheap ones that's light and folds up compactly.

2. Owl and crow calls are fine for locating birds. I just natural voice owl call or coyote howl. For turkey calls, you can definitely kill birds without being an expert caller. A slate that you just cluck and purr on is perfect. That's how I killed my first turkey. A push call is also a good option because you can have your gun up and still run the call. I would also go ahead and just get a couple mouth calls and start figuring them out. By next season, if you practice enough to aggravate your wife, you'll have a good repertoire of calls figured out. Calling isn't essential to killing birds, but to me its one of the most enjoyable parts of turkey hunting. One of my most memorable moments was when I was scouting before the season and had a hen answer my yelps. She and I then got into shouting match which got two other hens fired up and she brought them all following her (plus a gobbler being drug in by his collar) to whoop my tail. Such a great experience. And I never even had a gun in my hand.

3. I don't escout for turkeys nearly as much as I do for deer. You can generally ID their needs on the map, but you're really going to have to figure out where they are in the season. They often transition between winter and spring, so scouting right before the season is huge.

4. I killed my first two birds using 2 3/4" Winchester shells in a 12 gauge with a factory full choke. Since then I switched over to a 20 gauge 11-87 with a 20" barrel and I'm shooting TSS. All that to say, it's really up to you. If you've got a 12 gauge, tss isn't really necessary. What is necessary is patterning your gun. Make absolutely sure you know the pattern and effective ranges of the load you're using. If you've got a 20 gauge, I would definitely go TSS.

Good luck. I love turkey hunting the most of all the hunting I've done. I absolutely can't wait to be out this spring.

1. Take a jake decoy along, works better than a hen. It can definitively help to close the distance since any gobbler that sees it will most definitively want to kick it's ass.
2. Calling is essential, especially while running and gunning to locate birds. Just don't over do it. Get a slate call and a diaphragm call. The latter is better, but takes a little practice.
3. Don't really use OnX for turkey scouting, just boots on ground looking for fresh scratch, etc. If I go to a new area though, I will at least use OnX to try and locate transition areas as those tend to hold turkeys just like they hold deer.
4. Go with a super full choke. I use Remington premier high velocity turkey loads in no. 4, 12 ga. with good success, but there are lots of other good turkey loads out there too. I just never had the need to switch.

Good luck and have fun. Turkey hunting is just about the most fun hunting there is IMO.

1. Never used a decoy. I'm sure they have their place but I have killed dozens of turkeys in MO and WY over the years and never used one. Not a make or break thing.
2. What's the point of turkey hunting if not to call one in? To me its 95% of it. It would be like hunting elk in Sept, leaving your calls at home and sitting over a waterhole. Sure it will work but you are leaving out the best part.
3. Never E-scouted a turkey. Spend lots of time well before shooting light listening. Spent lots of time driving roads or walking ridges in the afternoons and evenings looking for birds out in the open. Then going back in the morning.
4. Rem 870 express, 12 gauge, (the uglier the better) 3" #4 with an Extra full turkey choke. Pattern, if you dont like it buy another box. Repeat until you find one that patterns well. Then use that box for your next 9 turkeys.

Best of luck to you.

Turkey hunting is by far my favorite type of hunting. It's a very cerebral endeavor.

Shotgun is easy: full choke (I think xtremes are too tight for closer shots) 12 Gauge, 3" 4-6# (I lean to the 4 side of that).

I almost always use a decoy, but I am often on private land (turkey access is way easier to get for some reason). A hen and a jake is a pretty good way of getting a grizzled tom's attention. A hen alone works, but you will get jakes and hens interested in that as well.

Don't over-call (too loud and too often), and don't leave your stand early. Birds take their sweet time coming to you, so bring a way of making yourself comfy against your chosen tree. Comfy keeps you still, and keeping still helps you kill.

Enjoy.

Thanks, all for the input! This is super helpful and I appreciate the advice. I wish the season was opening tomorrow :)

A decoy helps a lot i personally wouldnt leave with out one. There light weight will tuck right in the back of your vest and wouldn't slow you down at all only help you out.

Don't worry to much about calling poor calling if your thinking about going now just start practicing now and you'll be fine.

The big thing about calling is don't over call. Trust me it very easy to do its till hard for me to not over call love hearing that bird but you got to make them come to you.

One thing I would look in to a lot and spend some money on is a good vest that your comfortable in. The more comfortable you are the more time you'll spend in the woods the better chance you'll have to get one

Don't over-call (too loud and too often), and don't leave your stand early. Birds take their sweet time coming to you, so bring a way of making yourself comfy against your chosen tree. Comfy keeps you still, and keeping still helps you kill.

Enjoy.
RG makes a couple good points on this. Most of the longbeards I've killed have been close to 10 A.M. after some of the hens go back to nest, and early afternoon. It's awesome to sneak in early by the roost tree and be in the middle of all the calling, but I rarely get lucky and sit in the spot they fly down to.

Getting a feel for when not to call is just as important as being able to call, the more you hunt them you will learn when not to. If you've got one coming in, slow down the calls and go softer when you do. That's what has always worked for me.

@SRW a ton of good stuff already thrown at you.

I will add that hiding well is helpful. I have killed birds when I wasn’t ideally concealed by tall grass, trees, shrubs, logs, etc, but that increases your requirement to remain motionless.

A turkeys main defense is their eyes. Fast sharp movements will get you busted sooooo fast. And I’m talking about 100+ yards away in dense woods if you aren’t hidden.

I like to use a monopod shooting stick to allow me to at least partially mount my gun to my shoulder as soon as I sit down. I also never leave home without a camo stadium seat to increase my ability to take sitting motionless and not get a wet hind end. It also helps support my back which also lets me be still longer.

Have I mentioned yet how important it is to “be as still as a statue”?

A turkeys second line of defense is hearing. When I set up, I make sure that I can swing my muzzle without hitting tall grass or overhanging branches that will make a noise, or move the grass/limbs unnaturally.

It goes without saying that breezy days are helpful concerning hunter made noises (at least for upwind birds). Birds tend to get more skittish and seek more open areas when winds pick up, diminishing their defense. Rain will often do the same thing, as they tend not to mind the wetness, but want more protection when their sense of hearing is reduced.

My Kansas birds also head out into open areas after the rain is over, to dry out and not re-wet themselves on vegetation.

Kansas birds have to endure a two month long spring season (youth/disabled, archery and then regular shotgun seasons). My birds on public land are generally no longer/barely responsive to calling in the second half of the season, and those survivors (both hens and jakes/hens) aren’t nearly as vocal at all. Sometimes I will watch a flock of birds call on the limb, cackle at fly down and shut up for the rest of the day. I’ve even witnessed a wise three year old tom a quarter mile away across the sprouting corn field, upon hearing one faint perfectly formed “cluck”, spin his head towards me, zero in on my exact location, spin 180 degrees away, and sprint as hard as he could.

Perhaps one last thought: think safety! I‘ve been told by landowners that I would be the only one hunting, to find others sneaking into the property. On public land if I ever dare to put out a jake or tom decoy, I make absolutely certain that no sneaky ninja hunter could sneak in and shoot at the decoy and get me as well.

The addiction is real, and worth every early morning alarm clock. Saying that, I’ve rarely been successful sneaking in close to a roost and getting a bird on initial fly down. It’s a chess match that all too often the bird brain beats the hunter, but when it all comes together the rush is worth the work.

I've declared 2021 the year of the gobbler. I've never hunted turkeys -- seen many while deer hunting, but I don't suppose that counts. I realize these are tough birds to kill and that my odds of success may be rather low. But, I am trying to learn everything I can before the season comes in.

Any seasoned vets out there that are willing to offer some advice to a rookie?

I've got a few specific questions, but any other advice is most welcome. If it matters, I'll be hunting Easterns in the Southeast on public land -- primarily in river bottoms and hardwood type areas, with some pretty rugged topography in places.

1. How necessary do you consider a decoy? I like to be fast and light as much as possible but will tote a decoy if it is mission critical.

2. I seem to hear varying opinions on the importance of calling. I am obviously not an experienced caller, so plan to carry a crow/owl call and either a box or slate call. Given my ignorance, I don't want to overdo it with subpar calling. Is this the best approach, or would you advise spending a lot of time getting good with various types of calls before I hit the woods?

3. I'm using OnX to do some e-scouting before going boots on the ground to look for sign. Any tips on what to look for on OnX that could indicate promising turkey areas?

4. Perhaps less important than the other questions, but do you have a preferred shotgun load and/or choke tube for turkeys?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!!!
I spent post deer hunting chasing turkeys for the first time this year. It was super fun. I spent a ton of time researching and learning to call with a crow call, box call, and one of those sex toy gobbler call things. I wanted calls that were useful and easier to master. I liked it because it felt low pressure, and it helped me work on my growth mindset.

Calling is vital. The question is which calls and how much. I won’t act like an expert. Watch loads of YouTube and practice.

1. Not necessary
2. Calling gives you a big leg up. A slate call is somewhat advanced. Learn a basic cluck on a diaphragm call with an instructional video and you have a powerful tool in your belt, plus it’s hands-free. Listening to hen recordings on YouTube and copying them can also help. Even easier is a push button call. Box calls are fairly easy to learn, but nearly all rookies yelp too loud and too frequently. Don’t worry about sounding like the best hen - actual real-live hens can sound like dying cats. A locator call is handy to - I use a barred owl.
3. Skip e-scouting and walk around a lot 1-2 weeks prior to season opener to find fresh sign. Hunt there.
4. Doesn’t matter

1.decoy is a great added weapon and can seal the deal in some cases, just use with discretion on public...safety first!
2. Call less and say more.... there’s a learning curve and you’ll just have to feel it out
3. Hardwoods with proximity to swamp bottom and/or agriculture. Pines can be productive and good roost habitat but tend to be thicker
4. Try a few and see what your gun likes

HAVE FUN!.... if deer hunting is checkers, turkey hunting is chess. Lots of decision making in real time, it’s an awesome thing when it comes together!

So much good advice here. I will add that I have had gobblers coming in on a string to a call and then they saw my Jake decoy and they turned and ran away. It is all about what part of the season you are hunting.

During winter, all of the jakes and toms form a flock and hang out, but then at the beginning of the spring they start fighting and the flock splinters. You will get small groups of jakes who will beat up on individuals and if you are trying to lure in an individual who has been beaten up that Jake decoy might be a deal breaker.

Later in the season any Jake or tom will be interested in a hen and they will be somewhat mindless in their pursuit. Think rutting bucks.

Near the end of the season you will find that turkeys are less interested in hens and possibly just shy of decoys due to all the pressure they have seen from hunters.

this timetable is different from place to place, but if you can figure out what is going on at the time you are hunting you can dial in the decoy/call strategy that will work best for you.

Also, keep in mind that turkeys are on the move all day. You can just as easily (and by that I mean not easily at all) get one at 11:30 as you can at sunrise.

Back