Turkey handguns

ccc23454

Any of you guys hunt spring gobblers with hunting handguns? I am planning on challenging myself on my 3 turkey hunts this year to only using my trusty 44 super blackhawk, curious about bullet choice. I have a heavy and hot 300 xtp load for big game hunting but think its a little overkill for turkeys. I loaded up some nosler 240 JHPs and am thinking a softer and moderate speed bullet may work more efficently on body shots at hunting ranges. Nosler load data calls a starting load of h110 as most accurate for load at 1400ish fps and probably just roll with that if my gun likes it and probably will(shots everything good) but to cold to verify now. What bullets do you bird busters use? Can you tell its the slow season...
imageedit_0_5107477175.jpg

I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve been thinking of using my M1 carbine on a turkey hunt. The .30 carbine cartridge is similar to a .357 magnum, so I’d guess the .357 would work on turkeys too.

Also, Ruger makes a .30 carbine revolver. Next time I win the lottery I’ll get one so I can have a rifle-sidearm matching duo.

I wonder if the TSS 410 shotshells could be shot in a T/C Contender 45/410 pistol, and if they could, how they would pattern?

It’s disrespectful to shoot a turkey with anything other than a shotgun in my weird opinion.
Fill his head with tss from a 12 or 20 gauge.

Not to hijack but I remember reading an article when I was a kid a guy in Texas hunted turkeys with a 17hmr believe it was Texas. Many other places you can do that?

Thankfully you cannot use handgun or rifle on turkeys in ID. I don't get the appeal. Try a .410 or archery tackle perhaps?

People shoot turkeys with arrows all the time, often through the body. I don't see why a .44 shouldn't work. To me, the tricky part would be shot placement that doesn't damage the breast.

'Round here, they're still tough enough to hunt that I'll stick with a shotgun, though.

Handgun hunting is all I do. Even for turkeys. Either of your loads will work great - most of my handgun turkey kills are with a .41 magnum. My hand-load is either a 210 grain Hornady XTP or 210 grain Speer Deep Curl, both over H110.

And it's no more of a stunt than archery hunting for any animal. Any commentary to the contrary is purely from an uneducated standpoint. My favorite shot is when the bird is going directly away from you - aim right up the woohoo. Zero meat wasted. Head shots are effective as well but require extreme practice/confidence and shot distance discipline.

Handgun hunting is all I do. Even for turkeys. Either of your loads will work great - most of my handgun turkey kills are with a .41 magnum. My hand-load is either a 210 grain Hornady XTP or 210 grain Speer Deep Curl, both over H110.

And it's no more of a stunt than archery hunting for any animal. Any commentary to the contrary is purely from an uneducated standpoint. My favorite shot is when the bird is going directly away from you - aim right up the woohoo. Zero meat wasted. Head shots are effective as well but require extreme practice/confidence and shot distance discipline.
Yep Texas heart shot, or right above the beard with anything bigger than a 22mag

Kansas allows for handgun hunting for turkeys but requires a choked barrel, length of 10” or more, using shot size #2-9. In other words, no single bullet options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back