Tunes you have heard live. (Friday tunes)

This was my favorite piece to play when I was in Orchestra, and hearing it from the Houston Symphony Orchestra made it that much better:

Your point being? BTW, Joe Cocker prepared for his final tour with a live show in Hotchkiss @ the fairgrounds. You'll recall he lived near Crawford then, @ Mad Dog Ranch. Tomorrow I'll introduce you to the local band that played his housewarming when Cocker moved to Mad Dog Ranch. They graduated from the 1st Telluride music festival to host their own festival, which has now morphed into the Olathe Sweet Corn Festival. Lot of hints there.
In 1977 I saw Black Canyon Gang @ WSC/Gunnison. I got to know frontman Russ Austin, who along w brother Bill were the core of the band. They were out of Olathe CO, played regionally, and had released this record in about '74.
1655471690648.png
Russ befriended me and I spent time w the rest of the band. The Gang had played @ the first Telluride music festival, and began their own music festival west of Olathe @ the 'Villa,' the ranch house where they worked as cowboys during and after high school, and where their jamming formed the band. They invited me to work as stage hand for the Black Canyon Music Festival, and I didn't hesitate.
1655472315649.png

High tech stage
1655472495087.png

The festival gathered interest over the years, and began attracting bigger acts.

I unwound after the shows w diverse bands, who wondered how they got to this pastoral setting, and who enjoyed the hospitality of the funky Villa.

Russ Austin and his musical cronies eventually morphed their festival into the Olathe Sweet Corn Festival, which you can attend annually. His band Ghost River was hired to play for Joe Cocker's housewarming @ Mad Dog Ranch.

Youtube has gradually assembled a fair # of Gang videos. A tune from their album was used in a recent soundtrack.

The road goes on forever. . .

Back