Tundra transmission flush?

Sagebrush1

I have a 2014 tundra. These trucks have a sealed trans and no way to check / fill the fluid.

I was told it was “service free” when I bought it.

I’m closing in on 85K and am wondering if anyone has any advice going forward. It just feels strange to ignore it like this. I’ve never had any issues or anything just wondering what everyone else does service wise.

I have similar thoughts about the timing chain on my corolla...Toyota says its good for the life of the vehicle, I'm at 250k heading to 300 and I'm starting to wonder what "life of the car" really means.

I have a 2014 tundra. These trucks have a sealed trans and no way to check / fill the fluid.

I was told it was “service free” when I bought it.

I’m closing in on 85K and am wondering if anyone has any advice going forward. It just feels strange to ignore it like this. I’ve never had any issues or anything just wondering what everyone else does service wise.

I am going to change mine next week at 85k. There is a good tutorial video on the Tundra forum. I did a similar method with my Dodge and it was easy peasy. It's only about 75 bucks for enough fluid to drain and fill the entire transmission, and I have to think that will help it last longer.

You can either 1) drain the pan and refill what you drained (fill plug is on the side of the tranny housing) and do this another time or two if the fluid is really gross, or 2) drain the pan and refill what you drained, then disconnect the return line to the tranny and run out the remaining fluid a few quarts at a time, refilling as you go. I did option 2 on my Ram. It's something you can do by yourself and doesn't really take that long. You'll see the difference in color of the fluid as you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have similar thoughts about the timing chain on my corolla...Toyota says its good for the life of the vehicle, I'm at 250k heading to 300 and I'm starting to wonder what "life of the car" really means.

My parents had a Toyota sienna minivan that hit 450, I don’t think they ever did anything but oil changes and brakes. We’re looking at a $1000 repair and decided it was time to sell it. So I would say drive it till it doesn’t drive anymore.

My parents had a Toyota sienna minivan that hit 450, I don’t think they ever did anything but oil changes and brakes. We’re looking at a $1000 repair and decided it was time to sell it. So I would say drive it till it doesn’t drive anymore.
Lol I still have our families 2000 sienna, 240k runs great... great hunting rig lol

I had Toyota flush the tranny on my tundra when I bought it at 135k miles. Figured it was cheap insurance.

According to Toyota unless you do lots of heavy towing you really are good to go. Mine has 160K and i let a little drip out and gave it the sniff test. Not burnt, so I will sniff it again at 250k

I have a '14 Tundra as well. I stick to the service intervals as recommended, 90K is coming up. I've had no concerns with the transmission.

Save yourself a headache and service it every 60,000. DON’T let anyone but Toyota do it. They are touchy trans. Some shops will ruin them, because there is a certain way that it has to be done. A local shop ruined a couple.

as a mechanic for almost 40 yrs,,these sealed trannys are b s.!!i would do trans fluids every 60k at least,,you could get 10 times the life out them,,,drain and refill is the cheapest,but most cost efficient way to make it live a long time,,look into the tech books for procedures.

as a mechanic for almost 40 yrs,,these sealed trannys are b s.!!i would do trans fluids every 60k at least,,you could get 10 times the life out them,,,drain and refill is the cheapest,but most cost efficient way to make it live a long time,,look into the tech books for procedures.
How about changing transfer case and differential fluids? Every 70 - 100k?

of course yes,, fluids are the cheapest thing you can do to keep your rig to run longer,,,t-case and diffs are good idea every 60 k too..remember,,,these" sealed for life " never change oil intervals are made by the dealer,,,if your "life" of your rig is say 150k,,they are hoping to sell ya a whole tranny for thousands of dollars,,or trade in on a new one..new fluid changes are the way to go,,i myself wouldnt even think of some of these 10 k oil intervals either,,i do mine every 4 k no matter what on motor oil intervals too.

ive got a 2000 tacoma with 253k and its still going great,,one of my most reliable rigs ive ever had with good maintenence,,doesnt use a drop of oil,no smoke,,i think toyota makes a heck of a rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back