Truth about Chiggers

mdcrossbow

I copyed this from a post on MDwhitetale;

Another bow season has arrived and another few weeks of intense ankle itching from chigger bites. Actually, these last few years haven�t been bad for me since I started using permethrin-based repellents on my hunting clothes. So many people avoid the woods, and miss some great bowhunting opportunities due to the fear of being bit by chiggers. This is why so many wait until the first frost to hunt. But what are Chiggers, and how do we prevent them from biting?

To find out more about these annoying little parasites, I did some research on the Internet. Chiggers or Jiggers as some refer to them, only bite when they are in their larval or juvenile stage. Adult chiggers are harmless; they are the ones you see sometimes on your clothes when you walk through tall grass. They look like tiny red spiders, and usually are in a large group. In the spring the adult mites lay eggs in the soil, then they hatch into a larval stage. The larval stage chigger that we have to be concerned with is 1/150 of an inch. This is why you don�t know if you have any that are getting ready to bite you. The larger adult chigger mite is 1/20 of an inch. The areas that are more inclined to be infested with chiggers are high grass and thick vegetation. An area with a certain amount of dampness will hold chiggers more than a dry open area. The chigger will bite and feed on many animals including rodents, birds, rabbits, livestock and snakes. Soon after the eggs hatch, the chigger larvae will climb onto vegetation and catch a ride onto a passing host. Once the chigger is on board the host, it will route around for a short period before settling down to feed.

Common misconceptions

In the past you�ve heard that chiggers would burrow under the skin and lays eggs and die. Not true! Chiggers are unable to bury under the skin due to sensitive mouthparts. This is why they bite the skin in thin places, or where skin folds and wrinkles such as around ankles, creases of knees and elbows, armpits and waistlines. Once finding a suitable area to feed, the mite will pierce the skin at a hair follicle, inject an enzyme that breaks down the skin cells. They will then feed on the partially digested skin cells for up to three days if not washed off. After it is fully fed it will drop off the host and develop into an adult chigger. The itching will begin in 3 to 6 hours after being bit. Besides the itching a red welt will appear that last for up to 2 weeks. A secondary infection can occur if the welt is scratched excessively with dirty fingernails.

Skin care

The number one misconceptions about chigger bites are the beliefs that fingernail polish will suffocate them. Once the itch develops to the annoying level, the chigger has dropped off, washed off or been scratched off. I've always used an antihistamine gel that is sold over the counter to keep the itching down. Experts in Entomology agree that for temporary relief use ointments that contain benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion or antihistamine creams. As with any medicine, consult your pharmacist or doctor on proper usage�s and potentials for side effects or possible allergic reactions. The only real danger from chiggers is secondary infection caused by scratching with dirty fingers. Chiggers in North America aren�t known to carry any infectious diseases.

Prevention is the key

Long sleeve tightly woven shirts and long pants will help deter them. I know a deer hunter who wraps duct tape around the cuffs of his pants and shirt to keep them out. Just when you thought they had run out of uses for duct tape. You can even buy camo duct tape at some hunting pro shops. Add this to the 101 uses for duct tape, because it really works. It�s also helpful to tuck your pant legs into your boots. Most outdoor insect repellants such as the deet based products will work when sprayed to shoes, cuffs, and pant legs. Deet based products have to applied every few hours to be effective on not only chiggers but also mosquito�s and ticks. Another repellent that is useful is the permethrin based such as permenone and duranon. The permethrin based repellents are to be applied directly to the clothes only. It is important not to apply or have any contact with skin. Hang your favorite camo clothes on the clothesline and spray with the repellent; let the substance dry good in the fabric. It will repel tick and chiggers for days, unless washed out. Follow directions on the label of these products prior to use and don�t use indiscriminately due to the possibility of allergic reactions in some people.

When you arrive home from the woods, shower or bath as soon as possible. Place your hunting clothes in an area away from other clothes or people. Bathing with hot soapy water is enough to get rid of chiggers before they bite. Washing your hunting clothes in warm/soapy water will destroy the remaining mites. Experts agree that chiggers are on the decline for the season when the average daily temp doesn�t exceed 60 degrees.

If you are in a situation that prevents you from bathing soon after a possible infestation, such as being away from home or whatever. A simple change of clothes and a rub down with a towel is enough to rub the chiggers off your skin.

The precautions mentioned aren�t very troublesome, to me they are all part of the preparation for deer hunting, Have fun and don�t let the bug�s ruin the opportunity of early season action. See you at the check in station!

Do you all have chiggers out their ?

I got 2 bites this weekend working a walk behind bush hog is the thickets, one on each forarm. I've been covered in them and they are 2nd to none in pain caused by bugs.

md, having lived in both places... I've picked more ticks off me after one morning turkey hunting in MD than I've ever had on me in from any western outing put together.

Never had chiggers in the west either.

I got chiggers years ago when taking walks in the woods in SC, they weren't fun

To answer your question...

NO... :)

Back