Truly 1 skillet Meals

2rocky

I made a recipe for Sausage and Penne last night and I was a bit irritated that it was not truly a one skillet meal. (You had to boil the pasta first and not all of it fit in the skillet). Something where you add dry pasta or rice to the skillet and it absorbs the moisture is good.

I'm looking for something from scratch I only have to wash a skillet, cutting board, utensils and measuring equip.
An Example would be this skillet pasta :

Ingredients​

• 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions​

• In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  • Add the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms, brown sugar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  • Add pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender, 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer.

Love to see what the HT chefs have, as well as what variations from that theme.

I made a recipe for Sausage and Penne last night and I was a bit irritated that it was not truly a one skillet meal. (You had to boil the pasta first and not all of it fit in the skillet). Something where you add dry pasta or rice to the skillet and it absorbs the moisture is good.

I'm looking for something from scratch I only have to wash a skillet, cutting board, utensils and measuring equip.
An Example would be this skillet pasta :

Ingredients​

• 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions​

• In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  • Add the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms, brown sugar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  • Add pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender, 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer.

Love to see what the HT chefs have, as well as what variations from that theme.

This is a house favorite around here, requires a small bowl or plate on the side (or your cutting board), but otherwise is what you're looking for...

I like to make hash browns, with sausage, green beans, corn, maybe some brussel sprouts, all in the same pan. Then I dump a whole bunch of curry powder over it (along with salt and pepper). It's awesome and truly one pan (though you have to think carefully about the order and timing of adding each ingredient to avoid other pans).

I call this quick chili beans. Brown some ground game meat in a skillet dump in a can of chili beans , i use (Bush’s Chili Beans as they are available here), a can of green chili’s or some Rotel and some hot sauce. Heat up and chow down. This isnt my best chili or bean recipe but it is quick and easy And all in one skillet or pot.

Patty out some bacon deer burgers fry in CI with some olive oil and butter till almost done throw in some onions let cook down heat up pour in 2 cans cream mushroom soup stir and walla quick and easy with some mashedor fried taters and a veggie enjoy

Hamburger helper was a mainstay in college. With ground venison. Then I learned to cook!
We always ate hamburger helper after hunting if I was cooking or uncle bens rice if my roommate was in college. Now I make homemade hamburger helper and one of my kids stopped asking for my ribs on birthday and requested this recipe from the salty marshmellow. I put a little more liquid in with 2 1/4 cups of Macaroni.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-212949_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-212949_Chrome.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 10
Fried cabbage and conecuh smoked sausage. Don't have pics....might do it this weekend and add photos.

Pretty simple. Shred up cabbage, add to skillet, prefer cast iron. Add about a cup of water. Cover, heat until cabbage gets tender. Add salt, pepper and about a stick of butter or to your preference. Cut sausage into coins and add to cabbage. Cook down until cabbage starts to carmelized and sausage has been seared by the skillet.

Can be done with kraut too. I use homemade but store bought works, just not as good IMO. You can also add peppers, garlic, other herbs if you prefer. It is a flexible dish.

Skillet lasagna is easy cook 1 to 1.5 lb ground meat. I used elk in pics. Family likes ground sausage. Drain put 1 tbs olive oil in with diced onion. Cook for 2 min add 3 garlic cloves. Add 12-14 noodles broken into small pieces Add 1 large or two cans diced tomatoes and enough water to make 4.5 cups combined. 8oz tomato sauce can on top of that and don't stir. Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil and some dried garlic. Cover and simmer. Stir evert few min. After 20 min see if noodles are cooked. Add more water if soaks up to much and starts to stick on bottom. Put 3 oz parmesan cheese grated or green stuff in mix and 1/2 container of Ricotta in little dollops on top and close lid and take off heat. Wait 5 min. Fresh basil chopped on top is really good. Sometimes I throw a can of kidney beans in and a little taco seasoning. 20210306_190001.jpg20210306_201050.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back