Truck Topper: Leer vs A.R.E.

I have a Leer 100xr and am happy with it. It's been for 2-1/2 years and no leaks anywhere. I check the clamps once in awhile to make sure they're tight. The vibrate loose after awhile, especially if you're traveling bumpy routes.

I have the ARE mid rise on my Ram and overall I've been disappointed. Didn't fit well from the start, leaks every time it rains, both side crank out windows have broken, and now the rear window is falling out, and it's only 3 years old. I'm taking it to the dealer after the first of the year to see what they can do.

I’ve had an ARE CX series on my Tacoma for four years and it’s been great. Haven’t had any issues and mine came with the carpeted inside. Also have had two of the same toppers on work trucks and never had an issue. I will buy ARE again when the time comes.

I got a Leer secondhand for around $300, was $2500 new. It's a straight back, no rise and no rack on top. Would have liked to have the rack. I've had no issues with it. I will say I broke the window and it took three weeks to get a new one in. That was pretty lame and I had to have a dealer install it. But for the utility of it, it is simply indispensable.

Looking at getting one this spring. Never thought i would have one. Always seemed like a old guy thing. But traveling so much now shooting competitively and traveling hunting a lot it sure would be handy to have everything sealed up in the back and not worry about someone stealing something as easy.

I don't think you will go wrong with either brand, I have owned both over the years. One thing I would look for is one where the side windows fold open like the rear. Makes it easier to get to some gear without moving a bunch.
\

I don't think you will go wrong with either brand, I have owned both over the years. One thing I would look for is one where the side windows fold open like the rear. Makes it easier to get to some gear without moving a bunch.

I too have had several different brands. Each have their quirks.

I would absolutely second the side windows. Having seen these in action, I will absolutely be adding these in the very near future.

I'm not sure if you bought one yet or not. But I've always had Leer. All good quality wise. But, on my last one (2015) the paint was chipping off on the back corners of the topper near the tailgate. The price was getting out of hand IMO so I would look at different options if I was looking today. That said, it was the only issue I've had with them in 20 years of owning them.

I currently have a Leer. I wouldn’t buy one again. I’ve had a lot of issues with it. I could just have a lemon, but purchased brand new you would think I wouldn’t have any problems. Only had it about a year and a half.

I've always had toppers on my pickups, last couple have been ARE. When I bought the last one, told the salesman to just give me one with a broken lock because I know it will be screwed up eventually anyway. Don't know what it is about those cheezy topper locks but the road dirt eventually screws them up and makes them inoperable.

I've always had toppers on my pickups, last couple have been ARE. When I bought the last one, told the salesman to just give me one with a broken lock because I know it will be screwed up eventually anyway. Don't know what it is about those cheezy topper locks but the road dirt eventually screws them up and makes them inoperable.
Have them wire it into the lock on your truck so you don't have to use the key to lock/unlock it, I haven't had one go bad yet... but maybe I've just been lucky.

I'd probably go mid rise if I were buying today. Cab height is ok, but more room would be better. View attachment 123622
+1 on this. I had a cab height on my last truck for 17 years and constantly wished I had a mid rise. It feels like you have a ton of room, but many items don’t fit in that narrow space. That, and you’re constantly hitting your head on the ceiling when you’re in the bed. I now have a mid rise and love it.

Put all the extras you can on it and you won’t regret it. I put the access windows on both sides, got the taller cap so you have plenty of room to move around and you can sleep in it comfortably if you go on short hunting trips. I also drilled and bolted the topper on when it was first installed so you can bolt it back in the exact spot if you take the topper on and off for various reasons.

It was also mentioned about the locks getting dirty, you can get rubber covers that will keep the dirt out of the latches and they can still be locked without the road dirt that will collect in the latches…

7A09DE42-2580-4721-AE94-18324167F6B3.jpeg4A44C893-5432-4730-9A96-7B9CA3C69211.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing but good things to say about ARE toppers. Their MX topper had all the features I was looking for, including a coat-rack insert. Because as a Montana attorney who drives across the State, it is imperative to be able to strip out of your monkey suit and into some adventure apparel on your way home during rifle season.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 5.20.36 PM.png

Put an ARE V-series on. The body guy that did my hail repair has a CX series. How the side window recess on the topper is the only difference we can see.

I put a tonneau cover on the 2023. I’ll get a slip in camper for that purpose. Everything I put in the back has been covered in dust from not a lot of gravel roads.

The seal around the tailgate simply sucks.

Don’t get it without the windoors if you get one. SOOOO much nicer to get stuff in and out of the front of the box.

70A9DD53-D3D3-46E3-9748-C1C83A787438.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back