Truck Topper: Leer vs A.R.E.

Put an ARE V-series on. The body guy that did my hail repair has a CX series. How the side window recess on the topper is the only difference we can see.

I put a tonneau cover on the 2023. I’ll get a slip in camper for that purpose. Everything I put in the back has been covered in dust from not a lot of gravel roads.

The seal around the tailgate simply sucks.

Don’t get it without the windoors if you get one. SOOOO much nicer to get stuff in and out of the front of the box.

View attachment 259114

Some reports out there that Leer is discontinuing their windoors. Rumor is that they've had too much trouble with leaking. How have yours been? I'd like to get one with so I don't have to climb in the bed so often.

Some reports out there that Leer is discontinuing their windoors. Rumor is that they've had too much trouble with leaking. How have yours been? I'd like to get one with so I don't have to climb in the bed so often.
Only issues I have is with the corners of the tailgate. They have gaping holes and every owner that I’ve spoken with has the same thing.

None of my tonneau covered trucks have had a dust issue like this one.

I have an ARE with several accessories on a 15 Tacoma and it's really nice and just about infinitely customizable it's great as a dry storage for travel or even as a sleeper with a good bedroll.

I am waiting on my Snugtop Rebel with an upper Leer locker and windoors for my 23 Tundra. Its been almost 4 weeks and it's still at least 2 weeks out.

I am waiting on my Snugtop Rebel with an upper Leer locker and windoors for my 23 Tundra. Its been almost 4 weeks and it's still at least 2 weeks out.

Drop some pictures when you get it. I don't think I've seen a snugtop on the new Tundra yet.

I have owned Leer, Snugtop and ARE over the years. They’ve all been pretty much the same. Have an ARE on order for the latest truck. Went with it for the HD reinforcement.

Leaning this way
Leer buyers beware!!!!! I just bought (September 2023) a Leer 180XR cap for my F150. It has some serious issues and all in the first month of ownership and with only 500 miles of driving (of which 180 Mi is to dealership):
1) Front and rear windows as well as the canopy to truck interface leaked in multiple locations when I drove in a light rain for an hour for the first time. Leaks resulted in the felt like headliner getting wet/dripping as well as truck sides and bed. I would hate to see how much worse the leaking would be if I drove in a heavy rain for a length of time. And would the side windows leak as well?
2) The back window overhang seriously scratched my trucks tailgate due to rubbing (no clearance). Dealer moved it back, but it still rubbed and misaligned on all corners. Dealer tried to tell me scratching of the tailgate was normal. Not!!!
3) Trucks taillight panel also had paint rubbed off due to a 'globe' of fiberglass rubbing it.
NOTE The drivers verses passenger sides fabrication and clearances are dramatically different.
4) Besides the major issues above, there are multiple paint wax swirls and fisheyes paint defects (which I could live with as they were on top where no one could see), small - chipped paint.
I have lots of pictures supporting this claim but too many to post.

It is currently back at the dealership for evaluation by Leer. My confidence is very low because there are soooooooo many issues with this brand new canopy.

My last Leer of 23 years lasted, unfortunately this new one is completely unacceptable. According to my dealership Leer has recently moved there manufacturing plant abroad. Based on my experience, I would say they have poor factory start-up, poor training of personnel, and a lack of quality assurance. Not the old Leer quality of old.

New to this website so not sure how this will show up. Thanks for letting me share. If your inclined, forward if you can.

Leer buyers beware!!!!! I just bought (September 2023) a Leer 180XR cap for my F150. It has some serious issues, all in the first month of ownership, about 500 miles of driving. I made a more extensive post of following issues but here is my summary of that post:
1) Front/rear windows and canopy-to-truck interface leaked in multiple locations when driven in a light rain for an hour. What other leaks would be revealed in a heavier rain?
2) Leer back window overhang seriously scratched my trucks tailgate due to rubbing.
3) Leer back corner 'globe' of fiberglass also rubbed paint of my truck's taillight panel.
4) Besides major issues above, there are multiple wax swirls and fisheye paint defects on top - livable if this were only problem. Small - chipped paint.
I am awaiting leers determination at this time but how would you feel at this time about their product? How many other problems will pop up as I really start to use it in the 4 seasons of weather we have?

Leer buyers beware!!!!! I just bought (September 2023) a Leer 180XR cap for my F150. It has some serious issues and all in the first month of ownership and with only 500 miles of driving (of which 180 Mi is to dealership):
1) Front and rear windows as well as the canopy to truck interface leaked in multiple locations when I drove in a light rain for an hour for the first time. Leaks resulted in the felt like headliner getting wet/dripping as well as truck sides and bed. I would hate to see how much worse the leaking would be if I drove in a heavy rain for a length of time. And would the side windows leak as well?
2) The back window overhang seriously scratched my trucks tailgate due to rubbing (no clearance). Dealer moved it back, but it still rubbed and misaligned on all corners. Dealer tried to tell me scratching of the tailgate was normal. Not!!!
3) Trucks taillight panel also had paint rubbed off due to a 'globe' of fiberglass rubbing it.
NOTE The drivers verses passenger sides fabrication and clearances are dramatically different.
4) Besides the major issues above, there are multiple paint wax swirls and fisheyes paint defects (which I could live with as they were on top where no one could see), small - chipped paint.

It is currently back at the dealership for evaluation by Leer. My confidence is very low because there are soooooooo many issues with this brand new canopy.

My last Leer of 23 years lasted, unfortunately this new one is completely unacceptable. According to my dealership Leer has recently moved there manufacturing plant abroad. Based on my experience, I would say they have poor factory start-up, poor training of personnel, and a lack of quality assurance. Not the old Leer quality of old.

New to this website so not sure how this will show up. Thanks for letting me share. If your inclined, forward if you can.
Hi all, it has now been 4.5 months wirh no resolution. Leer does not work with customers directly but i managed to get a Leer number for a different division on opposite side of country. Eastcoast is trying to get ball rolling but can do nothing as it is out of their region except by calling westcoast region with an FYI. I'm still out almost $7000 with no word on refund for cap or truck repairs caused by faulty cap and dealership lack of attention during installation. Cap is in mexicali. Dealer is ur only contact point with Leer and he is awful. He even lied to Eastcoast Leer as it turns out. Pick ur dealer carefully. Although i researched, his used car salemanship attitude did not pop up. Leer warranty customer service is awful because it is impossible to talk to warranty group directly for your region and u must work through ur dealer. It is a mess.

Hi all, it has now been 4.5 months wirh no resolution. Leer does not work with customers directly but i managed to get a Leer number for a different division on opposite side of country. Eastcoast is trying to get ball rolling but can do nothing as it is out of their region except by calling westcoast region with an FYI. I'm still out almost $7000 with no word on refund for cap or truck repairs caused by faulty cap and dealership lack of attention during installation. Cap is in mexicali. Dealer is ur only contact point with Leer and he is awful. He even lied to Eastcoast Leer as it turns out. Pick ur dealer carefully. Although i researched, his used car salemanship attitude did not pop up. Leer warranty customer service is awful because it is impossible to talk to warranty group directly for your region and u must work through ur dealer. It is a mess.
You ok buddy?

Got my ARE installed the other day. Love it so far. Can’t wait to do some short camping/hunting trips out of it.
IMG_4126.jpeg

Back