Truck Topper: Leer vs A.R.E.

MT_Fin

Looking for input, going to purchase one soon for my new to me this year truck. Anyone have a preference on one brand over the other?

thanks!
Fin

I have had 3 leer tops. All great never leaked and good customer service. Had a couple shocks get weak after a couple years and they replaced for free.

ARE. I have 6 are's and 1 LEER. Only problem was with LEER. The window door on back never fit right. Took it back and they tried to fix it but it was never right. I just put my 6th ARE on my new pickup last week. Good luck.

I have a Snugtop with internal frame, insulation,carpeted with adjustable topper frame. Holds 750lbs too.
Almost 20 yrs on it and only problem is the screens finally got ripped. Oh I have replaced the door shocks twice. My truck has faded,but not the Snugtop.

I have had a Leer 100R for about 2 years now, it looks nice but I wouldn't buy it again. Fitment of the aluminum trim pieces and the removable front window are terrible, I can stick my fingers through it if the window is pushed all the way to one side, the side windows leak like crazy when it rains. I had to replace the rear window after I accidentally left it open and backed out of the garage (oops), and the replacement window (which they guarantee is an identical replacement) is off by 1/2" from one side to the other.

I've had both, and don't really have any complaints from either. ARE seems a little more solid but really don't have any evidence to support that, just a feeling.

I've got a 14 year old Leer and a new Leer and they've both been flawless. Never tried ARE.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I’ve been looking for a used one since June and haven’t found any so I’m gonna nite the bullet and buy a new one.
I was leaning towards ARE, that’s what the local shop recommended (they sell both) but my wife likes the Leer’s “look” better and they have a free headliner coupon too so it’s a bit cheaper

I do like the single handle/lock on the ARE but I doubt that will matter much in actual usage.

I bought a Leer three years ago for my Ram. Got the Leer Locker option and the mounts failed on my deer hunt in AZ this year. Leer wouldn't warranty it. Seems like a bad design to me. The cap has also gotten loose several times and rubbed the paint off of the top of my tailgate / truck bed. Won't be buying from them again.

I have had Century toppers on my last 3 trucks and they were pretty good . When i bought this truck in 18 the dealer had quit handling century so my next option was leer. So far I have had good luck with it. My only complaint is there is only one handle on the rear door and they said when you shut it to put your hand on the knob and slam it. It doen't always lock on both sides. I also got the contractor doors which I wouldn't have a topper without them.

I bought a Leer three years ago for my Ram. Got the Leer Locker option and the mounts failed on my deer hunt in AZ this year. Leer wouldn't warranty it. Seems like a bad design to me. The cap has also gotten loose several times and rubbed the paint off of the top of my tailgate / truck bed. Won't be buying from them again.

I'm guessing you are offroading a bit. If anything is loose or allowed to move, driving off road or rough dirt roads, it's going to wreak havoc.

I haven't looked at the Leer Locker, but it would need to be really heavy duty to work. Videos I've seen of it don't look like theyd hold up.

If mounted on paint, it's going to rub. Worse if the cap gets loose. It shouldn't get loose though. That sounds like an installation issue to me.

I live just a few minutes from the Leer headquarters and have one of their caps on my Tundra. Had to take it back twice to get it adjusted to stop the leaks and it still gets wet in there if it rains hard enough. Another big gripe was that glue seeped out around one of the windows and excess glue was on the glass when I picked it up. As far as the leaking goes, I believe the removable front window is the culprit. They threw it in for free and I regret taking them up on it

Back