Truck Saw Recommendation?

BackofBeyond

A while back, I learned to keep a chainsaw in the truck - the hard way. Had a decent sized snag fall across the road after I passed and blocked my way out. Long story short, needed a saw, didn't have a saw, long walk ensued. Since then I've always grabbed one of my saws when packing up and thrown it in. I've got a topper, so it stays locked up and [semi] secure.

I'm currently building a drawer set-up for the back, and it would be awesome to just have a chainsaw that stays back there, fits either in one of the drawers or in its own little cubby, and just lives there. Neither of the saws I currently own are what I'd call "compact" so they eat up a lot of storage space.

Any recommendations? Don't need any hot rods, or super long bars - 18" or 20" would do great for camp fire wood and road blocking snag removal, light weight is a plus, and reliability is a must.

My small saw is a Stihl 170 and it can cut most trees I run into. 18"
Lots of folks getting their battery saws and happy. Handyman style. Easy to charge with inverter.

I too have a Stihl 170chain saw. Goes hunting with me everytime. Very reliable saw, I also have a small Husky that is about the same size. Not to knock the Husky which I really like but I do think the Stihl is more reliable.

I have a bit of bias here. I do small engine repair and sell Stihl power equipment. I've worked on other brands as well and much prefer working on Stihl. I have kept a saw in my pickup at times when there are storms or icy conditions that might drop limbs across the road. It's come in handy when I had a friend who needed to borrow it. My saw has an 18" bar which is great for a general all around saw. Stihl saws start using 18" bars on their MS211. The MS250 and 251 are also great options with a bit more power. Once you move into saws with 20" bars the weight starts to climb unless you go with an M-Tronic model. You can often find really good sales on the MS250. If it's going to potentially sit in the pickup without getting much use I'd recommend using Stihl's Motomix fuel. It's stabilized and has synthetic oil mixed in. Ten year shelf life if you don't open the can and two years if you do. Keep an extra chain in case you hit something with the chain that dulls it. Sorry to sound like a commercial but we've had great success with their products.

Last edited:
I have a fiskars bow saw and a hults bruk foresters ax. If I were to carry a chainsaw, I too have a Stihl 180 with a 14" bar for light work around the house, I'd take that.

Husqvarna 435 is what I use. Not too big and heavy of a saw for limbing and trimming, and not too small for larger felling jobs. Can run up to a 20” bar if need be.

A 50cc saw, of dependable make, will do what you need. Anybody that says to just carry an axe, has not spent much time chopping big trees in two with an axe.. Not any fun and very time consuming. An 18-inch bar will cut a 36-inch tree, if necessary and will not bog a 50cc too badly. Don't by the junk saws that many variety stores sell, but spend the money and get one that will function when you need it to. A small saw will be better than nothing, but will be marginal, if you encounter a large tree. If you want a small one, the Stihl 170/180, or the Husqvarn/Jonsered equivalent are good little saws.

Stihl is to chainsaws what the Nosler partition is to bullets. I live 30 miles out of town in the Blue Mountains. Hell I don’t go to town W/O a chainsaw in the truck. Also an axe and a couple of plastic falling wedges just in case I need to “unbind” my bar.

Stihl is to chainsaws what the Nosler partition is to bullets. I live 30 miles out of town in the Blue Mountains. Hell I don’t go to town W/O a chainsaw in the truck. Also an axe and a couple of plastic falling wedges just in case I need to “unbind” my bar.
Ill second that, 3 good wedges, my Farm Boss, a small sledge, 50 foot double hook cable, and a extra chain. My driveway is a mile and a half long through the woods and runs the top of a ridge. My house is the only house out there and it dead ends in my yard. Its at least 4 or 5 times a year I'm sawing up a tree that's fell across the gravel road. More than that when we get a wet snow or a good windstorm. The only good part about it is by that spring I usually have enough decent hardwood to drag back to the house for a jump on my firewood season.

Silky Katanaboy. They‘re a bit pricey, but just toss it in the bed of your truck and don’t worry about it. Best prices are direct from Japan off of eBay.

If you insist on gas, I’d go with a Stihl MS 170 and a small premix can of stihl gas.

Can't go wrong with a stihl, husky, or echo. Could save yourself some hassle if you start it every now and then and keep the gas fresh, I'm sure regardless of brand with proper care almost any brand is going to serve you well.

I too have a Stihl 170 for working on horse trails, and light work around the house. I have had good luck with it.

I run a Stihl 251. It goes with me for firewood chores and trail needs if necessary. I've had it two years now and with the handy little sharpener it is my favorite machine so far :)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back