Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Truck rentals?

Dougfirtree

I'm curious if others have had good luck renting a 4x4 truck/jeep, etc.(something with real clearance and four wheel drive) when flying to hunt? If anyone has found any good companies that have 4x4's available, or tricks for finding them, especially in the Denver area, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

I rented a Ford F-150 in NM. If you read the rental agreement fine print, you're not supposed to leave maintained or blacktop roads with a rental vehicle.

I rented one in Casper, Wyoming and based on the use we gave it and it's condition upon return...I would not buy a used truck from a rental company ;)

I use enterprise almost every year when i go to either nebraska or south dakota. Costs about $320 for a full week. Never found any cheaper. 1/2 ton 4door chevy,ford, or dodge. Cannot beat the price. I dont worry about the fine print and drive it anywhere and everywhere.
I am in northern Ut in the Ogden area.

I will be watching this thread with interest, i created a similar thread in the past, all the companies i researched offer 4x4, but in the fine print, 'only on tarmac roads', which is a pain as most of the roads i went on in Montana are not!
On my last visit Randy saw our rental and said ' you aren't taking that Elk hunting are you?' but we had no option.

We arrived at our first place after dark, i hit something on the track that shook the whole car!
Then we found ourselves up this 'road' with the centre washed away, tires either side of the ruck, uphill, started to lose traction, not a problem, lets reverse 3 miles and turn, oh, the sun shining through the rear window made it interesting!

The only advice i can give is just don't push it in a rental 4x4, they aren't made for it, but if someone comes up with a solution to the problem that would be awesome.

Cheers

Richard

I use enterprise almost every year when i go to either nebraska or south dakota. Costs about $320 for a full week. Never found any cheaper. 1/2 ton 4door chevy,ford, or dodge. Cannot beat the price. I dont worry about the fine print and drive it anywhere and everywhere.
I am in northern Ut in the Ogden area.

I just talked to enterprise. They do carry 4x4 pickups, as well as 2x4 pickups. The problem is that you can't reserve one. You can only reserve a pickup and ask for 4x4 at the time of pickup. If they don't have one, you're out of luck. And at that time of year, in Denver, I'm guessing the 4x4's go fast...

I was in Albuquerque last fall and rented a midsize car from Enterprise. When the guy saw my gun case etc he knew I was heading for the woods. He offered to switch me to a 4x4. I gave him a tip for being so thoughtful and was not charged extra. Be nice to people..

If you rent from one of the car rental places at the Denver airport you will obviously pay a lot more. It is a bit more of a hassle, but you will get a much better price if you can get away from the airport to rent. There are several car rental companies on Colfax in Lakewood, which would be on your way to the mountains from the airport. I rented a Ford Expedition from them once for a decent price.

I just talked to enterprise. They do carry 4x4 pickups, as well as 2x4 pickups. The problem is that you can't reserve one. You can only reserve a pickup and ask for 4x4 at the time of pickup. If they don't have one, you're out of luck. And at that time of year, in Denver, I'm guessing the 4x4's go fast...

I have never had a problem reserving a 4×4 and having it there when i went to pick it up. Every time i could pick out the make/model at 2 of the 3. I reserve a chevy.

I rented one in Casper, Wyoming and based on the use we gave it and it's condition upon return...I would not buy a used truck from a rental company ;)

The only thing worse than that would be buying Randy's truck!

Jut curious, I have thought of this option as well, but what do you all do with the meat. Example: Elk hunt in NM equates to at least 2 large coolers, etc? Just wondering. I usually just need a 4X4 vehicle to take me to a trail head.

The cheapest way is to buy a few coolers and send it on the plane packed in ice and pay the extra luggage fee. You can freeze and ship it from the butcher but the cost will make you want to cry.

I also have used Enterprise a few times for trucks. If you go off the airport site rates are usually cheaper. Last time we got a Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 for the same price as a regular truck. One year we got a Ford Excursion pretty muddy from a week worth of hunting so I just stopped at the car wash on the way back to Enterprise. For $5 it eased my mind that they wouldn't scrutinize the abuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back