Trophy Potential for Utah Pronghorn

MaxPower

I'll start by stating that I'm a spoiled Wyoming resident who gets to hunt Pronghorn every year (even if it is in my 2nd or 3rd choice unit).

But, I started building points in Utah a while back and need to start doing some real research for good units there. I have 7 points, so I plan on another 2-3 years of building points before applying. I'd just like to know what the best units are currently for trophy potential and access.

I know the Plateau unit has the most animals and is used as a feeder for other units, but I don't necessarily want to hunt a unit just because of numbers. I'm fine with looking for a needle in a haystack so long as I there is good public access and big bucks.

I first started building points to hunt the Pine Valley unit (my in-laws live there and I thought it'd be a fun family hunt), but now I've invested enough time building points I'm not sure I want to burn them on that unit.

Would love to hear from those who've hunted there recently or what the trends are for the state. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

I might be missing something, but looking at draw odds you'd be lucky to draw any antelope tag, period, in 2-3 years. Pine Valley could be 10-15 more years for you to draw when you look at the people ahead of you applying for that unit. Plateau could be 17ish years. Start applying now and hope lightning strikes and you draw a random tag.

Why are you not applying every year? If you are buying points you might as well have your name in the hat...

Looks like the Plateau Archery tag is best option for you at that point level.

Yikes - I hadn't realized it was so bad. I haven't checked draw odds for this hunt in 3-4 years..... Well, looks like I'll be applying from here on out and hoping the tag gods smile on me.

So the real question then is which unit has the best trophy potential, SE Desert or Snake Valley?

Back