Trophy buck falls victim to barbed wire

I spent the weekend doing security work up on the ranch and was shown this impressive dead head that was found a few weeks ago by another guard that had been tangled in an old barbed wire fence and met a terrible demise sometime during the previous winter/spring. I didn't have a tape to stretch on him, but I would estimate him as at least 30", and he had impressive deep forks. I true trophy buck, even with the high caliber of animals on this ranch. This is a very sad way to go for such a magnificent creature. barbed buck.jpg

Haha. I was pretty careful setting it up there, but with 235,000 miles and lots of days on the mountain adding rocky mountain pin stripes, I am not too concerned with the paint job any more. The old 03 Silverado doesn't owe me a thing.

Dandy buck. Too bad.
What does security work on a ranch entail? Are you keeping public land hunters on public or mending fences and gates and posting signs?
Just curious.

When I saw that pic I thought somebody had stolen my truck and put a mulie buck on it. I must've gotten your trucks younger brother lol. I agree My 04 chevy doesn't owe me anything either, we've been on some epic hunts though.

A little bit of everything. Mostly being a scarecrow keeping folks honest. We coordinate game recovery with the CO's when animals shot off ranch go onto the ranch, and aide where needed. Fortunately glassing trespassers and glassing game go hand in hand and we are able to see some great wildlife in the process.

Follow up. Went up to the old fence line where the buck was found and snipped about 20 loops of wire that were still protruding from the ground. At least this won't happen again next year. Oh, and the rack disappeared from the cabin front porch and I can only assume was taken to the main lodge, so if it makes a cameo with Lee and Tiffany, or Joe Rogan when their hunts air next year then you will know it is indeed the same buck.

I saw Rogan was in UT hunting elk, but he never said where. I assumed a CWMU, but didn't know it was DL&L. 'Twould be nice to be able to afford hunts to places like that.

When you say main lodge, did they rebuild something at the headquarters where the old house burned down?

Never seen that place. The DL&L headquarters, where the fire happened, are a couple miles W/NW of the highway just south of Woodruff.

Wonder if the buffalo head is a hold over from when they had them on the ranch?

I wasn't aware that the ranch ever had buffalo, except of course way way back when they roamed freely everywhere out west.
I rarely get out to the ranch headquarters where the cattle operations are run since most of the trespassing incidents happen on the west and north end.

Yep. They had buffalo for a number of years. Once they tired of them, and the fencing issues they caused, the sold them to Ted Turner IIRC.

An interesting side note about the ranch, is that the state of Utah could have bought it. Instead they bought Antelope Island...

Sorry, but that is about the least inspired lodge design I've ever seen built. Motel 6ish.

When I saw that pic I thought somebody had stolen my truck and put a mulie buck on it. I must've gotten your trucks younger brother lol. I agree My 04 chevy doesn't owe me anything either, we've been on some epic hunts though.

I just traded my '03 in 2 weeks ago. I was original owner and put 225,000 on it. Needed new windshield and tires, and was starting to melt away (rust rot) pretty bad. Bought that truck 2 months before my son was born. He is in high school now. Truck saw a lot of livin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back