Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

The best trophy

squirrel

Ok I had a couple threads on here to amuse me (it worked) This one is to amuse you guys during a slow time of year for any horn hunter. This happened to me a couple years ago, my story just got published a while back... I will cut and paste and hope my button -pushing disability stays in remission. On a sad note, my best buddy Topaz died last Aug. 12th. Far and away my best horn hunting dog/partner, and unlike the Bush's baked bean dog he never told a soul where we went!

The Best Trophy of All
A few years ago, after an extraordinary winter, I was having my best year ever on finding fresh elk antlers. I was hiking a long ways every day to get into the “honey hole” and came up with a plan to access it from much closer to my truck. It involved a rather severe river crossing made even worse by the very high run-off from our record snow pack. My two dogs, Cody, Topaz, and I left the truck at about daylight that very cold, foggy May morning and dropped a mile to the river, crossed a dike above about 80% of the river, but the water was so high a side channel had to be crossed as well. This was about 25 feet wide and mid-thigh deep. I could not tell how deep it was, of course, as it was brown with sediment, so I cut off a long pole and used it to probe ahead and brace myself against the current which was enough to make 16” whitewater waves in the channel. I stripped down to my skivvies and socks so as to have dry pants for the day’s hiking, put my boots in the pack along with my spare socks so as to have comfy footsies later, and waded on in to the freezing water.
Cody, being a young pup, plunged right on in behind me, got swept down river maybe 20 yards before he was able to clamber out on the other side which was a 4 foot snow bank. I crawled up the deep snow behind him and started getting dressed, as it was a bit chilly sitting half naked on a drift. Topaz has never been a strong swimmer and he knows it, so he balked at my choice of crossings, and would not listen to my coaxing him to follow me across the rough water. He paralleled us on the first shore looking for a better way. About 100 yards down river he found what he thought he was looking for, but the river had laid a trap. The side channel hit a beaver dam which had stopped a large number of floating logs and brush creating a filter, driving the water underneath them before forcing it to boil up through the debris and over the dam before re- entering the main river channel. This surface log jam was perhaps fifteen feet wide and consisted of everything from small beaver sticks to big tree trunks and one railroad tie, with the tie being on the leading, upriver edge of the log jam.
Topaz saw the flat water and jumped in, but it was still deceptively fast and, as they say, still waters ran deep… He was in trouble immediately and I had just gotten my pants back on (but no boots) up on the snow bank. As soon as I saw what he had done I yelled out loud “I’m gonna lose my dog” to nobody in particular, and without pausing to think tore down the snow and into the frigid water. Topaz realized he was in trouble and turned directly into the current sealing his fate as he slowly lost ground to the suction of the sweeper. I went in neck deep and got pinned against the railroad tie at the lead edge of the sweeper as Topaz was being sucked under a few feet farther out. I hooked my left arm over the tie and pulled myself out to my best buddy. I lunged out and got only his upper lip as the only part of him not sucked under the logs was his head. I lost my grip on his lip so I gave one more lurch along the tie to be able to reach him better. At his point the only thing above water was his black tipped nose, I could see his eyes lock with mine from under the water as I made a desperate grab and somehow got a handful of collar and wet dog, and pulled hard to get him out of the suction and on the upriver side of me.
Almost instantly he got swept downstream against me and we were both being pushed under the logs. For the first time I actually thought about what I was doing and I realized how much trouble we were now both in, all I had was an arm around the tie for leverage and now I had to keep us both afloat and out from under the logs. It crossed my mind that the brainless puppy on shore (who was bouncing up and down and really enjoying the show) might be the only smart one of the trio, and maybe the only survivor. I held fast to Topaz’ collar and slowly hitched my way back the tie in reverse an inch or two at a time until I could touch with my toes and then we were home free. Up on the snow bank I stripped down buck-ass naked and wrung out as much water as I could from everything I could- it was a bit chilly as I recall, standing wet and naked on 4 feet of snow. But I had dry SOCKS to put on! Everything else, however, was dripping wet and there was no sun for warmth.
I headed as fast as I could up the hill into the “honey hole”, trying to warm up by going up the steepest way. When I finally stopped shivering and had a chance to think, I realized how screwed I still was, I now had the same impassable river between us and the truck and a private ranch below me. In order to not trespass I would have to go 7 miles before dropping off to a road with no truck waiting for me. Princess had just made me get a cell phone but I had no confidence that it could have survived the swim, but when I dried it off it actually worked and I called her and arranged a pick-up 10 hrs later on the county road when she got off work, a few seconds after the call it died a permanent death.
I started finding fresh antlers everywhere almost immediately, which made me almost forget my chattering teeth. Topaz was hiking right on my heels in a very subdued manner, there was no doubt he realized just how much trouble he had been in, as he is usually a very boisterous hiking companion. I glassed up a big 6 point elk antler across the gully and started working my way around the side hill to reach it. As I neared the 6pt, I heard Topaz huffing and puffing up the hill behind me and looked and he had a fresh 5 point antler and was bringing it to me from below. Now Topaz NEVER fetches “to hand” and always makes me play a game of “keep away” to take it from him, this time he walked right to me, looked me right in the eye and laid it in my hand with a wag of his tail… “thanks dad, for saving my ass…” but only that one, then we were “even” and I had to take the rest! I ended up with 9- 6 pts and 10 rag horns, about eighty or ninety pounds of antlers, which was about all I could handle for a rough 7 mile hike out across the mountain, so I started the long cold slog to my pick-up point. We were all very happy to see Princess pull up in the royal carriage that evening.
That night after a hot meal and hot shower I reflected back on my awesome day of success on finding some of the biggest elk antlers I have ever picked up in 20+ years of pursuing them. The load of my fresh sheds alone was one of the top few days I have ever had picking up sheds, poundage-wise. But when I reached down next to the bed I was able to rub on the ears of the real trophy I brought off the mountain that day… my best buddy Topaz.

Damn I'm gonna miss that dog...

Great story Squirrel. I have a yellow lab that is really struggling right now. I am doubtful she will make it to Thanksgiving but she has been one incredible family member thru the years. I had someone tell me "that a dog is only part of your life, but you are their entire life".

Great story and great looking Golden. I'm glad that had a happy ending, plus the bonus a serious horn! I'm on my 4th Golden now and can't think of any other "best buddy" I'd want than a Golden.

Wow, that sounds like a hair raising experience. I'm sure I'd of done the same for my pooch. Hell of a day on the sheds to boot!

Wow, what an experience. Looks like a great year of shed hunting!

Great story. Its easy to feel the emotional tie between you and your dog. I miss my hunting/hiking/fishing partner ever day...

I hate to break it to you- but those aren't elk antlers.

If I were ever to get a field dog, it would most definitely be a Golden.

Last edited:
My wife loves me almost as much as she does our two middle aged Golden girls....we both rue the inevitable.

Nice story OP.

Last edited:
Just for Randy11 as he is obviously a cat lover and an elk antler purist...

Just for Randy11 as he is obviously a cat lover and an elk antler purist...

That's awesome. If someone made a cat and she'd antler calender I'd be their most loyal (only?) customer.

Some awesome looking piles of horn you've got.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back