Tripod on a budget?

smalls

I'm planning on bringing my Theron spotter west to the badlands of ND this fall for a mule deer hunt but my old tripod is kind of a POS.

Any suggestions on a fairly reasonably priced tripod for use in open lands glassing?

I have a Vanguard Alta(?) that cost me about $75 and it does the trick for me hunting similar terrain in South Dakota. I especially love it for putting my binocs on, but it does the trick for the spotting scope.

Keep an eye on camofire. They had a Vanguard on the other day with the pistol grip for 70 or 80 and it was fancier than what I have.

I've got a couple of vanguards as well. Decent for the low end, but you'll need to use the hanger to keep it stable in the wind. I've not been terribly impressed with their shoe mount as it seems a little sloppy, especially for camera work.

Top of the line - manfratto or outdoorsman.

I sold my manfratto because of weight and went with a cheap vortex highline(i think)

You need to adjust the lock nuts where you like them then locktite in place. It is small and light with adjustable legs. Even in semi flat terrain you want the angle adjustable legs. Spread them out and it gets pretty stable considering how light and compact it is.

The head has a lock stop that you can set so you can move the scope without touching the lock. If you get it in the right notch it will move with force but stays on target without touching the lock - no more panning to target then having to lock it at just the right point. Problem I had was when I lock the head the target was never center scope, always off to one side. This set up allows me to just center the target and let go - critter is dead center in scope every time.

Look at the Dolica brand name. There is a tripod manufacture in China making very nice units for a lot of brand names and they are all the same with different badges. Get the ball head and quick release plate style. Amazon has them. I was selling them under the Sinno brand and besides being a tad heavier than a SLIK, they are better in function and finish. Be wary of big brand names like Vangard and Vortex , they are over priced and basicly the same item with minor cosmetic changes as the no-name items.

Last edited:
I have both a BogPod tripod with pistol grip optics head, and an Amazon Basics (now discontinued) tripod and they are both fairly lightweight, inexpensive, yet well made. The Amazon tripod I have used to sell for $50 and was a phenomenal deal. They also have a carbon fiber tripod that is 2.4lbs with the included ball head, which is about as light as you're going to get for tripod suitable for glassing at the $95 they want for it. I'd probably go that route if I didn't already have the older aluminum one.

I just checked vortexs site. Man has the price gone up. Pretty sure i paid $59. Nothing under $109 now.

Schmalts has the right idea. Adjustable angle legs is really the only must have in my book. Then i go to price.

Thanks schmalts, I was hoping you'd chime in. I took your advice and ordered a 62" dolica from amazon for $54. It looks like the legs are highly adjustable, has a ball head, and has received solid reviews.

Thanks schmalts, I was hoping you'd chime in. I took your advice and ordered a 62" dolica from amazon for $54. It looks like the legs are highly adjustable, has a ball head, and has received solid reviews.

I'm a crappy salesman.....:eek: recommending something I don't even offer to sell, but Randy's forum here is about passing on honest hunting information so that's what I do.

Camofire has a vangaurd up today if the OP was interested based on the recommendations in this thread.

Thise Dolcia tripods look awesome for the price. The g100 is 4lbs though, does that sound right? Seems kind of heavy.

Thise Dolcia tripods look awesome for the price. The g100 is 4lbs though, does that sound right? Seems kind of heavy.

If that is aluminum with aluminum head that's about right. It's probably a pretty stable setup better suited to being close to the truck.

I don't know what model that is but it sounds like overkill. First, make sure you purchase a tripod that doesn't have those spars that connect the legs together like in the second picture. You cant straddle a tripod over your legs when sitting with that. Second, you really should not need a 4 pound tripod for the spotter you have. The trpod you want should look similar to the first picture, NOT THE SECOND ONE. if you ordered the second one, return or cancel your order NOW! You cannot put that one over your body and glass while sitting, nor will you be able to correct for uneven terrain as well as the one in the first picture. Please call me if you have questions.

Attachments

• CB0A0989.jpg
    CB0A0989.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 221
  • CB0A0991.jpg
    CB0A0991.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Agree on those little connector bars. I got two free tripods from my mom from her old camcorder and it has those on there. I slide one leg through if I know I'm going to be sitting awhile, but I only use those for using binos and if it's more level ground. Otherwise I use the Vanguard with the spotter

What are your thoughts on the ball head? Does it pan pretty smoothly?
The tripod I pictured has panning joint on it that is the bottom of the ball head. So you are not panning with the ball, but a seperate joint and it is smooth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back