Trigger pull weight

cornfed

Just going to start the process of trying to tighten up my grouping and found a good gunsmith to do some trigger work for me. Just wondering what a common pull weight would be for a hunting rifle?

I've had mine all set down around 2 pounds for hunting rifles and I can shoot much better than with the 5 or more they start with from the factory. My gunsmith wouldn't go below 2 pounds for his safety concerns. My buddy that is really into shooting measures his in ounces but that is more for target stuff I'm thinking.

Agree with above, 2lbs for me is ideal and far greater then a heavier pull. One my LR gun it is at 1.5lb.

No way can i hold steady with those big heavy long trigger pulls on factory rifles.

Short, sharp and no creep is ideal.

I try to get mine down to 2 pounds or as close as I can get to that. Can't shoot worth a crap with a 5-6 pound trigger.

I try to stay around three pounds. I always figured that if I was wearing gloves etc., I did not want the light trigger accidentally going off because of the light touch. A target rifle is a different story.

2-2 1/4Lb for me. You would be surprised that 2 lb can even feel a little heavy when doing lots of shooting. I feel more than comfortable with these weight even when wearing gloves.

I had my hunting rifles set at 2.5 pounds, then had my 22 rimfire plinking rifle set at the same. i shoot the 22 a lot more than the centerfires, and I think having a match helps my muscle-memory.

2.5 max.

I honestly like 1.5 better but some triggers cannot safely go much below 2.5

Thanks for all the replies, was it a long process on picking your preferred pull weight or just picked a weight and went with it. I was thinking 2.5 but have no experience with anything other than stock triggers.

For deer hunting in NYS - involves cold weather and sometimes a lot of hiking and snow tracking as well as wearing gloves - I want 3-4#. I want to be able to feel the trigger, not have it go off as my finger first touches it.....

Ditto. 2.5-3lbs
My -06 was set at 2 3/4 by Timney for me. I set my mz at 2.5.
I dislike a light twitchy trigger as much as a 5lb. log. In my hunting guns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back