Trespass hunt or public land Colorado

CTELK83

Hello all, long story short I didn’t draw an expected antelope tag for Montana and I am now trying to plan an elk hunt for colorado. I have hunted Idaho otc public land 5 times with decent success. However that was with a friend with knowledge of the area. This will be my first trip with just Escouting…. I was told by a buddy to look at “trespass hunt”. With this being my first hunt in colorado is it worth looking into or just go out and figure it out on my own? I’m looking at a handful of different units all mainly west and north west. I’m also not opposed to going 2nd rifle but do prefer archery. Thanks for your input

With 5 Idaho hunts under your belt you should be fine on your own.

Where does one find these oft-referred to “trespass hunts” anyway. At least, where would one find them affordably, in an area with better hunting than on public? I for one, probably wouldn’t trust someone selling that even if I did see a listing. I’d need a LOT more info and then it wouldn't be worth THEIR time to sell to me.

This is solid advice. Especially this late in the game, in regards to trespass hunts, “salt and duds” is probably all that’s left.

From your photo it looks like you have been successful on atleast one previous elk hunt. Take what you know and have a great time. I agree with the other two, anyone who is offering a trespass or something of the sort at this time in the year likely has nothing to offer on the ground.

I figured definitely late in the game and I have no clue about the mythical trespass hunts haha. But the way they were described sounded great, probably too good to be true, especially if I can’t find them. I’m leaning just stay the course and figure it out on the fly out there. The main thing that has me worried is the fear of the unknown…. If this was one of the 2 areas in Idaho I have hunted in the past, I would have no hesitation. Just not knowing what I’ll find when I actually get out there. And I hear so much about how crowded colorado is I’m expecting there to be a camp every 100 yards and hunters like ants all over the terrain haha

Are you looking for only MB or to hunt any elk? https://innofthemountaingods.com/activities/big-game-hunts/

I haven’t done this though the cow hunts are economically priced, population control. Additionally, it looks $650 flat. No trespass fee on top of license, tag, other fees. I’ve been to Ruidoso, NM a lot and the elk population is strong.
On this trip where it is my first time out I am going with zero expectations other than to have fun. I’d shoot a cow probably first morning haha

On this trip where it is my first time out I am going with zero expectations other than to have fun. I’d shoot a cow probably first morning haha
I read the regs attached on that same link and the Mescaleros won’t allow archery on cow hunts.

Are you looking for only MB or to hunt any elk? https://innofthemountaingods.com/activities/big-game-hunts/

I haven’t done this though the cow hunts are economically priced, population control. Additionally, it looks $650 flat. No trespass fee on top of license, tag, other fees. I’ve been to Ruidoso, NM a lot and the elk population is strong.
I thought that I recalled reading an account on her from a member who had really bad dealings with that outfit, or am I misremembering that? That cow hunt is not too bad at all if it’s a fair chase hunt and the people and places are good.

I thought that I recalled reading an account on her from a member who had really bad dealings with that outfit, or am I misremembering that? That cow hunt is not too bad at all if it’s a fair chase hunt and the people and places are good.
I read that myself as well. I think expectations may have exceeded reality. From what I’ve seen between Ruidoso and the Mescalero land, people and places are terrific! The cow hunt will probably be a late winter hunt and not canned as no high fences. Also should have a base on the runs so a guy could pop an elk in the morning and shread slopes same day.

Yup. Go have fun. Sheet loads of public land and elk in Colorado. You don’t have to get one to have a blast. (Statistically speaking you probably won’t.)

Back