Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Trekking Poles - Suggestions

joshs

After listening to several of the podcasts and watching episodes, I am convinced that I need to try using Trekking poles for hauling out loads from the backcountry. What poles have people tried and what worked good vs what did not live up to expectations?

I haven't used them for packing out an animal but I use a pair of Kelty trekking poles for general hiking and have had them for a few years. They may not be the lightest out there but they're also probably 1/3 of the price of a lot of higher end poles and I have never had any issue with arm fatigue. The only problem I had with them was my dog ran into one full bore while running around like a nut and slightly bent one of the poles (I was leaning against it and had the tip planted in the ground). I was only a slight bend and I was able to bend it back over my knee and it still works fine.

Seriously, though. I would not be compelled to spend too much money on them. I have a pair of old backcountry ski poles that I've used for 20 years. I bought my wife a pair of nice Leki poles, but then felt compelled to hike an extra four miles when she left them at a lunch spot. (I'm such a nice guy.) I have pair of Costco poles that do in a pinch and have also just cut saplings to length and clipped off the limbs when in need. I don't use poles in my day-to-day hunts but they are very nice when packing out a heavy load. That happens only rarely for me.

My main consideration on my next set will be that they have flip lock adjustments and not twist locks.

Cam lock type adjustments for me. I think Leki makes something similar to Black Diamond "Flick Lock" now? I've been through half a dozen sets of poles, maybe more. The twist locks don't' hold up to the abuse and eventually slip. The annodizing on the poles will eventualy wear off, and as the poles oxidize the twist locks get coated in aluminum dust and slip. Nothing sucks worse than planting a pole and needing to bear a lot of weight on it and it slips...

I like the 3 part adjustment over the two, mostly because I can put them on my pack and they don't snag in the brush. I wouldn't get the ones that fold up with a rubber band down the inside of the pole. I adjust mine from time to time when side-hilling for comfort, or on long approaches. The fold out ones are not adjustable.

For grips, its personal preference. I prefer the old rubber style, to the foam and cork. The foam and cork are slick when wet, the cork feels slimy. Also if its cold, it sucks to constantly grip a wet sponge. I currently have cork and can't wait until they wear out.

I loosely hold onto the grip and brace with the wrist strap. It's much more comfortable when loading the weight on your arms. And my hands don't get tired. I prefer a wider strap to narrow for this reason as its much more comfortable. Also less wrist padding = less moisture soaking into it, which can be annoying.

I left the best set I had at a camp site on POW last fall. They were heavy duty suckers, I don't think I could break them of I tried. Sadly they don't make that version anymore. Still pissed about it. The replacements are no where near as strong.

I don't leave home without them. The make for a great shooting rest, tent poles, pole vaulting across creeks, cloths line poles, yard stick, you name it.

Back