Trekking poles, 1 or 2?

Muskeez

I did a search and found that several guys on here turned in their "man card" and admitted that trekking poles really helped them with their long distance hikes, especially with a load on. So, I am planning to do the same, and taking the advise of getting poles with locking segment levers instead of twist tensioners. My question is, on an archery hunt in Colorado in Sept., would you take 2 poles or just one? Do you usually have your bow strapped to you pack while walking and use your poles, then switch the poles and bow around on your pack when in "hunt mode" ?? Any advise for a newbie? THANKS!

Trekking poles are no-nonsense extra legs that will help so much you won't believe it. Instead of just using your legs to go up the hill you can use your arms too. In my experience I can go at least 25% more with them (on serious uphills). They help a lot when carrying weight and added stability is more than a great bonus.

Two is much better than one IMO as it helps you to feel balanced. Practice with them though so you can get a solid hold without tangling them or even thinking about where you're going to place them. Takes a little effort at first, but invaluable to the mountain hunter.

I'm young and hunt hard. Steep terrain gets the poles. I cannot recommend the promos bow sling enough. I don't use all the snaps so its easy to get at the bow quick but out of the way when hiking/classing. Plus, with the sling the cams are covered so you bow makes a great monopod to glass with your binos.

2 most of the time, but sometimes 1.

PS.

It's easy to leave them leaning on tree and start off without them, when you first start using them. Make sure you pay attention after a pee or glassing break.

2, if you find you like using one for general use you can always tie the other to your pack and at least have it there for tough terrain and weight.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back