Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trekking Pole Recommendations for after the harvest?

Ryan2782

I'm looking for a collapsible trekking pole specifically to use after harvesting an elk and for the pack out. Considering at certain times there might be substantial weight on them if I use them as a leaning pole for a quick break. I've seen pricing from $35-$200. My only concern would be too much weight would break the locks on collapsible or they would bend. Any recommendations on a specific brand? I'm looking in the less than $100 market if that's possible for a reliable pair.

I hunted last year with the Leki Corklite. I thought they were sturdy, light weight, and nicely collapsible/packable. $140 at REI.

I have always had trouble with collapsible shooting sticks and don't trust a collapsible trekker at all. I hunt steep mountains alot and like a walking stick of some sort for stability.
I use a solid fiberglass stick that is for a cattle prod. Picked it up at tractor supply for about $20 several years ago.
I trapped often and even use it to wack and dispatch critters.
Very durable, but is heavy. I don't think it's too heavy for the added benefit of the usefull reliability.

I just bought some Black Diamond Ergo corks last night. $120 at REI or Cabelas, but you can find them cheaper a few places online. They seem to be as strong as anything I looked at, and at 18 oz they're reasonably light. For what it's worth, you might find yourself using them before the harvest as well. I've read a thousand times about what a difference they make, so I guess I drank that cool aid. I've used them once, this morning, during a 3 mile hike. As I was tromping along going up hill i picked up the poles and carried them for a bit to see if I'd notice a difference. To my surprise, they do make a difference. The hill seemed steeper while I was two legging it. Starting using the poles and the walking was easier again. I'm a believer in those things.

I picked up a pair of ski poles off craigslist. Can get them for under $10 on there or at a thrift store or yard sale. Lightweight aluminum and very strong--I just need to paint them up with a matte black paint because they are bright.

Leki Corklite....first time user last season. Light, simple, strong....lock up tight.

I have only used the cheaper foam type handle on a shooting yoke topped monopod previously...the cork handle has a good grip even when my hands are wet. Ample texture and grip 'softness' ...no pressure point hotspots...so to speak.

Find the right size stick when you get to the mountain and go. That way you don't feel to bad when you forget it at a glassing point or after a break.

https://www.rei.com/product/873056/...p0ydm3sh52WDlmK1_gCJ_x0LQtzE_aG4aAu7GEALw_wcB
I've used these Black diamond trekking poles the last few seasons and haven't had any issues besides I would suggest getting the rubber tips if you are walking in rocky terrain, would cut down on some of the noise of the metals tips on rock. Made some pretty heavy packs out with them and use them during my hunts as well for stability, balance and I don't feel nearly as fatigued once I get to where I wanna go

Why just use them for packing? I use mine all day, I was surprised how much better I feel after hiking in steep country with poles than without...

I have tried both and cork is the way to go, especially in warm weather when you are not wearing gloves. It might not matter as much in cold weather.

I picked up a pair of LEKI Micro-Vario Carbon Trekking Poles. They were pricey, but man these poles are compact and lightweight. I will be using them for the first time this fall, so I can't attest how sturdy they are.

For your needs I'd be looking at a 2 section aluminum from BD. You give up weight and some adjustability, which is why they're cheaper, but less moving parts and sturdier than most 3 section. Carbon has a nice feel, but I've broken more of them. There are no indestructible trekking poles when carrying a burly load, you just want to give yourself decent odds of success and hope they last a couple years.

Not the most expensive, but for $15 you cant argue with the price. I am told that these are the same ones they sell at Costco, but don't know if that's true or not. They also have carbon ones that are a little more expensive. I have a pair of the aluminum ones and they seem to be decent built. Plus if I bust one going down Im not gonna be to upset when I am only out $15.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2HYPNW?ref=emc_b_5_i

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back