Tree stand for elk

Wind is everything as usual. Not bragging but I have over 20+ out of my precious tree stand. I have even double upped a couple of times. Don't worry about camo or movement because they don't catch it like whiteys do. A game cam will tell you if it's worth it. Nice thing is if you approach the stand right you won't blow them out like everybody else trouncing through bedding areas.

That level of long-term success is great to hear. For my setup, the approach is perfect with little-or-no chance of spooking elk. Wind is always a wildcard. I know this area extremely well and know that the early morning downdrafts shift upwards about an hour after first light give or take. The wind has got to be going upslope for this setup to work. The hard part about my setup is going to be listening to the chorus of bugles all morning while waiting for the elk to move towards bedding areas (tough problem to have). Knowing when or if to call is going to be a learning experience for sure. Will be checking my game camera this weekend. The excitement builds!

A tree trimmer saw pruner that extends s well worth the cost to trim limbs both from the stand and along shooting lanes that are out of reach. Drag the cut limbs out away from the stand

Interesting hearing these comments about tree stand hunting for elk. Where I live hear in the East, all that I have to WT hunt are small patches of public land that are not conducive to spot and stalk due to size, vegetation, and terrain. I’ve read and applied a few things that I’ve read about western hunting to my tree stand hunting, such as reading thermals, that have made me a more successful WT hunter. It does get boring to sit in a stand for hours, but when that’s all that you have you learn to develop some mental toughness (or maybe it’s numbness) and enjoy the time that you have in God’s beautiful creation. But I still am constantly wondering if a deer is near my other stand, or right over the next ridge. This is one of the main reasons that I long so much for western hunts-wide open spaces and the ability to be mobile in hunting.

Hopefully your planning and patience pay off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back