MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tree stand for elk

Griztrax

So I've been hunting Montana HD 380 for the last 6 years both as a tag holder (one year) and as a friend to people I have met on the forums and buddies who have drawn. Every year I keep telling myself how awesome it would be to have a tree stand in a couple key areas and so with my oldest son holding a tag this year, I have decided to hang a stand. I've selected a timbered movement corridor between feeding and bedding (not on a water source). I think I'm doing the right thing but would sure like some encouraging words from those who have done this with success during archery season. I have a great feeling about it because I know the elk movements so well in this area but I'm not a tree stand hunter by nature and so this is new to me and my son. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Last edited:
I’d hang the stand and set in it and identify and cut shooting lanes too I Set all my stands and do all the prep work as early as possible so all the wildlife are use to it being there

Tree stands do work for elk to a degree but you need to have a ton of patience and sit for a LONG time. I can't sit that long no more without moving around. When I first got taught to use elk calls to get in closer, I took some military leave at the time and went hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park during the rut. My calls then were gawd awful but apparently they work. I set up a tree stand and called a big herd bull in and I was doing what I was told was the extreme esterus call. That bull shredded the oak brush under me and could of easily snapped the tree I was in. If you done your homework though, you have a great chance of success.

If your in the right spot could be great. I have tried a couple times and could not handle sitting that long let alone if I could see them and they didn't come close was painful to not be able to go after them on foot. That was my experience. I have several friends who use them in spike and cow areas and have had awesome footage of bulls walking right under them. Location, Location, location

Treestand hunting is about location and proper vertical shot angle. An animal too close will result in only 1 lung being hit. Second you need to practice shooting from an elevated position. You want to bed at the waist, and not drop your bow arm, doing so will cause you to shoot high.

Have had good luck elk hunting from stands, like mentioned before it’s best to practice from an elevated position and train yourself to aim low to avoid hitting the dead zone up high. Don’t be afraid to call from the stand either and be patient

There is a really good book on Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk by John Erickson (you can get it by a google search or via another hunting forum).

You can use screw in steps on public ground?
Most states I’ve hunted deer in say they’re a big no no.
Good point - thanks for mentioning that. I will do some further research and certainly remove if not allowed in the spot I have chosen.

Last edited:
I have used a tree stand 2 times for elk. One time I killed my first archery bull, the other time a missed a nice 5 point.

I would have a hard time setting up a stand on a trail or wallow just to sit day after day.

In my particular instance it was late september, early october and the rut was starting to wind down. The bulls were herded up with cows and were not real responsive to calls. I had a particular herd of elk with a nice bull that I had patterned. After gaining confidence that I knew what they were going to do, I walked in mid day, set up a stand and caught him walking past that evening. Seamed like the only logical way to hunt that particular elk in that particular situation. He had 12 cows and I would have been busted in an instant if I were to have tried ambushing him from the ground.

Worked for me in the right situation.

In 2018 I was chasing some elk in the AM and ran across what looked like the perfect setup. After the morning hunt I went back to camp, grabbed a treestand and was sitting by noon. I shot this bull about 4.5 hours later. I love tree stand or ground blind hunting for elk....

ELk_2018.JPG

Excellent opportunity in the right situation. If you're worried about the length of sit time, put a lot of forethought into entry and exit options so you can be in stand closer to the times they are moving

I tree stand hunt a popular water hole in my OTC unit from time to time. It worked out for me a couple years ago when i got this little guy. It was a drought year and 6 bulls came in the first evening. I have found that I really don't have the patience for sitting on a seat all day though.

Attachments

• 20180906_210617.jpg
    20180906_210617.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 24
I’m going to try it this year over a wallow.

Attachments

• 52BD267D-9136-4B9B-AA3F-FB083658CAE3.jpeg
    52BD267D-9136-4B9B-AA3F-FB083658CAE3.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 18
Looks like a great spot! I hope the tree your stand is in is a little bigger than the tress in the photo 😁. Good luck!!

Thanks! a little, yes, but not much lol. Still bigger than minimum required for my climber but I prly wouldn’t sit in it on a windy day!

Last edited:
Wind is everything as usual. Not bragging but I have over 20+ out of my precious tree stand. I have even double upped a couple of times. Don't worry about camo or movement because they don't catch it like whiteys do. A game cam will tell you if it's worth it. Nice thing is if you approach the stand right you won't blow them out like everybody else trouncing through bedding areas.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back