Yeti GOBOX Collection

Traveling with elk hopefully this fall need opinions on travel options

Ironhayden

Okay so my buddy and me are traveling from Pennsylvania to Montana to hunt elk and deer this fall in the bobmarshall. My question is we have two diffent trucks we should take mine is a 2500 crew cab with a cap and his is a 1500 crew cab with a foldable cover. I feel like the cap would be better to keep the coolers and antlers looked up during travel and if we stop at a hotel. But if we take his truck we will have to mostlikly strap the antlers on top of the coolers and not be able to lock them up if we stop if all goes well and we have elk. But his truck will prolly get 4 to 5 mpg better than my truck. We will have about 4 large coolers in the bed so it will be fairly full. So my biggest problem would be stopping at a hotel in less we try to take them in the room with us if that possible. Any opinions are welcome.

Have elk, will travel....:D

Attachments

• IMG_20141016_151341.jpg
    IMG_20141016_151341.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 390
Take the antlers in the room with you. Not many people are going to mess with coolers full of meat.

Take the bigger truck. Sure, about $200 more in gas for the 4000 mile roundtrip in the bigger rig but you can carry more and you will stop at roadside rest stops and eateries as well as motels so locking up all your gear, meat and antlers is important. I presume the bigger truck has more comfortable seats, more cabin space and better road vision. All those are benefits. If the smaller rig rides better and is more comfortable then I change my answer. 4000 miles at 60mph is a lot of hours and will fell like twice as many if uncomfortable on the road. I like driving over flying as can take more gear and is easier to start driving home if fill tags early than to get airline tickets changed, especially if a regional airport with limited flights on mostly small planes.

Do you plan on driving out in 3 days of driving with each of you taking 6 hour shifts per day?

3/4 ton truck should go. Better options for storage. Burn the xtra fuel, have fun. Good luck!

Depending on the type of trip you're planning, the amount of gear should make your decision. I have a 1/2 ton crew cab and nothing rides in the bed of the truck except the coolers. We are backpack hunters so very little rides outside of our packs. When we have stopped overnight, packs come into the room and anything needing to be secured goes in the cab. Coolers full of meat are generally safe anywhere west of the Mississippi. The further east you go the more I've found to worry about it. If you're blessed with antlers, figure it out. I've moved sheds into the cab many times.

Would putting a couple coolers on a hitch basket free up enough space to fit antlers under the bed cover? I definitely wouldn't leave them exposed and unattended.

One thing to keep in mind - maximum weight your truck can take on that 1500. 3 of us went to WY last year from PA in my Ram 1500, and we were right on the border with maximum allowable weight between us, the meat, and gear. We had no other option, so that's the way we went.

Take the most comfortable truck!

Antlers are big and awkward. Sometimes not very easy to get into a hard cap if bed is already full. If you opt for roll top cover, strap antlers down with ratchet straps. Undo them at night and bring them into your room. Roll up soft cover and your coolers are out of sight.

So both trucks have 6.5ft beds the truck without the cap will still be able to lock at night with the coolers it would just be during the travel time we would have to strap the antlers down. It's a guided horse back hunt so all are gear should fit in the back seat it's only the two of us so it will be open for gear. This is are introduction to hunting elk and hope to go back after this hunt and do it on our own.

3/4 ton, I'd be willing to bet the fuel mileage is a lot closer once you get rolling. They the same cab and bed size? I take a 1/2 ton with 8'bed with an electric roll up tonneau and its packed. I'm also towing a trailer for the atv that has space for 2 long coolers on the tongue. Antlers are either on the trailer, or in the back of the bed with the tonneau all the way back and tailgate locked. We don't stop, its "only" 21 hours. If I did I'd bring them in the room or lock inside the truck.

Which ever is most secure... Either way, take antlers and anything you don't want to lose into the room with you (or in cab). It is worth your extra time. We have had our cap broke into at hotel once (lost some gear - had guns in cab) and attempted another time - tore up buddy's brand new rig/cap with pry bar. They worked long time at it. Had to make stop next day to get broken locks repaired on cap. 2 years ago, friends had closed in trailer broke into at hotel. Took a bow, pack full of gear(binos, gps, rangefinder, clothes), and a gatorade. Other bow/gear was safe in cab. Not much worse than buying a new bow on the way to your trip (except maybe losing your elk on the way home)! These were all at Hiltons or Hampton inns, not at out-of-the way roach motels. Scumbags watch for out of state rigs traveling through that time of year. We never advertise with window stickers and such. Be careful and smart - park right up front, under lights/camera, and have a great trip!

Don't forget to post story and pics upon return...

Definately the truck with the cap. I have done the flat bed cover and the shell and the camper shell is a huge bonus for storage especially with horns. A half ton truck will work just fine for your trip but you will be happier with the truck that has the cap.

We brought our racks into the rooms with us. I would probably sleep better knowing items were in the cap.

On my trips out west we take an enclosed trailer and everything goes in there.That may be an option for you. OR if you get elk rent a U-haul traailer one way and bring the meat and bones home in that.

Same thing I was thinking, a U-Haul. Get some locks at local wal mart and you're set. Good Luck.
On my trips out west we take an enclosed trailer and everything goes in there.That may be an option for you. OR if you get elk rent a U-haul traailer one way and bring the meat and bones home in that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back