Traveling hunter strategy

IAhawks84

Hello everyone, hope you are all surviving the covid safely.
So I have made a vow that I am going to stop being a "I'd love to do that hunt" and start being a "I'm doing that hunt" guy. I've been chasing black bear for a year now, but am also thinking about my next critter I'd like to chase. There are so many things, elk (I've harvested a cow elk), moose, pronghorn, mule deer, sheep, etc. I am making it a point to go on a hunt that is away from home every year. I've found the DIY route is usually pretty economical, yet I'm thinking I'll also try the guided route from time to time. I know this is a DIY blog so we will keep it to that.
With all of that said, if some of you do something similar and wouldn't mind sharing, is there a strategy that you use in applying for these different tags in different states? I have been researching, and say I shoot a bear this year, if I want to elk hunt a decent unit next I could be waiting a couple of years. I'm thinking I probably need to think at least two years in advance.
Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

Also, Randy, if you read this thread the logistics threads are very interesting and helpful. Keep them coming.

Im a NM resident but always plan 1 out of state hunt per year. I build points in most western states for all the species I enjoy and have a reasonable shot at. Wyoming antelope is a good start for out of staters because the deadline is so late I can plan that depending on what I draw in NM. Colorado is always a go to with the over the counter option for elk and archery pronghorn. Utah, Nevada, & Arizona are once in a lifetime state's for me because the odds are not great. I'll always apply in those states and IF I ever draw I'll work around that.

Im a NM resident but always plan 1 out of state hunt per year. I build points in most western states for all the species I enjoy and have a reasonable shot at. Wyoming antelope is a good start for out of staters because the deadline is so late I can plan that depending on what I draw in NM. Colorado is always a go to with the over the counter option for elk and archery pronghorn. Utah, Nevada, & Arizona are once in a lifetime state's for me because the odds are not great. I'll always apply in those states and IF I ever draw I'll work around that.

That's good advice. I probably just need to investigate drawing odds and all of that a little more. I'm pretty new to the drawing system as we just have OTC deer tags here

If you need to know you can draw a tag then that impacts your strategy. For example, any state that awards limited entry tags randomly or by a bonus system means you just do not know if are drawing a tag in a given year.

You can focus on states where can build preference points and then are able to be more comfortable will draw in a given year but point creep might impact that strategy and leave you empty-handed or perhaps tag quota gets cut after applications are due.

Relying on OTC tags or buying a landowner tag will lock in a tag though pandemics, Federal shut-downs, forest fires and floods have each shut down some hunts in the past decade or so after tags are in hand.

I throw a lot of darts at the drawing board in multiple states and have no idea if will draw a tag in most cases though am confident about a tag some years. Sometimes the random and bonus odds are kind and sometimes they are cruel. If you want to hunt elk and deer in the rut with a limited entry tag or hunt bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose or bison then either need a large checkbook or will benefit from throwing a lot of darts every year.

Here are my non-resident draws the past 6 years and only two of those tags was I at 75% or better odds to draw based on prior year odds so hard to plan the below hunts a year out:

NV 1st choice rut bull elk muzzleloader (bonus system)
NM 3rd choice rut bull elk muzzleloader (random)

WY 1st choice migration bull elk rifle (preference plus random)
WY 2nd choice mule deer buck rut rifle (random)
WY 1st choice pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random)
WY leftover draw pronghorn buck rifle (random)
NM 2nd choice Aoudad rifle (random)
MT pronghorn buck rifle (bonus)

OR Buck Deer muzzleloader (preference)
WY leftover draw bull elk rifle (random)

NM 3rd choice migration mule deer buck rifle (random)
NV 3rd choice pronghorn buck rifle (bonus)
OR pronghorn buck rifle (preference)
WY 1st choice pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in preference going in with almost certain odds)
ID bull moose rifle (random)

UT pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in random portion)
CO mule deer buck rifle (preference with me going into the draw with almost certain odds)
WY 1st choice rut mule deer rifle (preference plus random)
AZ 2nd choice rut Coues whitetail buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in random)

CO Mountain goat rifle (bonus)

If you need to know you can draw a tag then that impacts your strategy. For example, any state that awards limited entry tags randomly or by a bonus system means you just do not know if are drawing a tag in a given year.

You can focus on states where can build preference points and then are able to be more comfortable will draw in a given year but point creep might impact that strategy and leave you empty-handed or perhaps tag quota gets cut after applications are due.

Relying on OTC tags or buying a landowner tag will lock in a tag though pandemics, Federal shut-downs, forest fires and floods have each shut down some hunts in the past decade or so after tags are in hand.

I throw a lot of darts at the drawing board in multiple states and have no idea if will draw a tag in most cases though am confident about a tag some years. Sometimes the random and bonus odds are kind and sometimes they are cruel. If you want to hunt elk and deer in the rut with a limited entry tag or hunt bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose or bison then either need a large checkbook or will benefit from throwing a lot of darts every year.

Here are my non-resident draws the past 6 years and only two of those tags was I at 75% or better odds to draw based on prior year odds so hard to plan the below hunts a year out:

NV 1st choice rut bull elk muzzleloader (bonus system)
NM 3rd choice rut bull elk muzzleloader (random)

WY 1st choice migration bull elk rifle (preference plus random)
WY 2nd choice mule deer buck rut rifle (random)
WY 1st choice pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random)
WY leftover draw pronghorn buck rifle (random)
NM 2nd choice Aoudad rifle (random)
MT pronghorn buck rifle (bonus)

OR Buck Deer muzzleloader (preference)
WY leftover draw bull elk rifle (random)

NM 3rd choice migration mule deer buck rifle (random)
NV 3rd choice pronghorn buck rifle (bonus)
OR pronghorn buck rifle (preference)
WY 1st choice pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in preference going in with almost certain odds)
ID bull moose rifle (random)

UT pronghorn buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in random portion)
CO mule deer buck rifle (preference with me going into the draw with almost certain odds)
WY 1st choice rut mule deer rifle (preference plus random)
AZ 2nd choice rut Coues whitetail buck rifle (preference plus random and I drew in random)

CO Mountain goat rifle (bonus)

Wow, yeah you have drawn a lot of great tags. I'd need to be a little more careful as I would not be able to go to multiple states on multiple hunts per year as I just do not have the time for it. Fall is my busiest time of the year, but I am making it a point to start knocking some of the things off the list now instead of, "when I retire I'm going to do that".
I'm kind of thinking I may need to start applying for points in multiple states every year, then kind of planning on picking a state and being hopeful I'll draw that hunt that year. It'd be different if I was already out west and could just drive a couple hours, but being from Iowa, I'm looking at about 12 hrs before I'm in the mountains.

This podcast will really give you a good understanding of what you should be looking at and how a lot of this all works.

My personal opinion. Make it a priority to hunt this season. In fact you are lucky because there are still applications open right now, and you can definitely still buy points in a lot of places that may be closed. Don’t wait another season.

I actually made a spread sheet with Rows by state and Columns by species. Color coded each intersection by Long term, Medium term, or Short term goal or Black for Not Available.

Additional sheets were also where I kept track of my points per species and state, as well as what hunts I applied for each year.

I made a list of "hunting goals" and tracked my progress each year. To Hunt a certain number of states, to hunt so many species, an elk slam, a deer slam...etc.

I make sure to have a backup OTC hunt lined up each year if I don't draw.

I also make a spreadsheet. It helps keep tabs on dates, points, id numbers, and notes about what I apply for or should look into for the upcoming seasons. I make a new one every year, and reference previous years all the time.
I actually made a spread sheet with Rows by state and Columns by species. Color coded each intersection by Long term, Medium term, or Short term goal or Black for Not Available.

Additional sheets were also where I kept track of my points per species and state, as well as what hunts I applied for each year.

I made a list of "hunting goals" and tracked my progress each year. To Hunt a certain number of states, to hunt so many species, an elk slam, a deer slam...etc.

I make sure to have a backup OTC hunt lined up each year if I don't draw.

I actually started this last year guys. I took two trips to Idaho last year, and was scheduled for a trip to northern Manitoba this spring until our little friend Rona arrived. Currently we are playing it by ear and I'm up for a late spring spot, otherwise we're bumping it to the first week of October. Either way, I should be able to get my hunt in this year. I also hunt deer here in Iowa pretty heavy in the fall. Last fall was a different story as work was extremely busy with starting a new business. That's kind of why I decided to make sure to do something every year now. I really love hunting raccoons as well.

I've kind of got a list of critters in my head. I probably need to write it down, research states and get a little more organized. We love elk meat, as I've had a successful cow hunt in Wyoming, so that could always be a good fallback.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I've already gotten a few good ideas and some info I had not thought of. If anyone heads east and has whitetail questions, don't be shy!

I entered the western draw system in 2017 with the hope of drawing at least 1 big game tag in addition to filling the freezer with OTC tags. Here is what I try to make my hunting season look like: (NV resident)

Every year: (as needed)
Whitetail in NY
bear in CA
Deer in CA (low success odds but a great DIY backcountry hunt)
upland/waterfowl hunting NV/CA
UT spike/cow archery
CO elk
ID deer
ID elk

2-4 year tags:
AZ coues deer
NM deer, elk (fingers crossed)
WY antelope

5-9 year tags:
WY elk
WY deer
CO elk
NV elk
NV deer

10-15 year tags:
AZ elk
CO deer (pray there's still mule deer by then)

Once in a lifetime:
Sheep in CA,NV, AZ, NM

**if I won the lottery, I would outfit a bus/van and hunt year-around for the following, in order (still need to find out how to store the meat):
Jan- OTC cous deer/upland
Feb- Aoudad in NM
March-June: turkey and bear
July-August: CA deer
Sep-Oct: elk
Nov: whitetail
Dec: waterfowl

I also make a spreadsheet. It helps keep tabs on dates, points, id numbers, and notes about what I apply for or should look into for the upcoming seasons. I make a new one every year, and reference previous years all the time.

I use a spreadsheet then have recurring reminders set in Google calendar to alert me before applications are due. I got nerdy after missed Nevada one year thinking I had until midnight. No misses since though twice have fat-fingered online pronghorn application and drew a unit never intended to draw. Filled both tags so all worked out fine.

I have always known out of state hunting takes a lot of time and research, but if you want to do it with some regularity, wow!! Haha

My advice is if you really want to do then do it! Anyone can get atleast 3 elk tags in a year so if you're eager get after it. Some people make the tag application and strategy more important than hunts. Figure out how you enjoy hunting and find hunts that fit you. Come up with a plan for 3-5 years target a good tag or 2 annually then adjust with otc/leftovers/cows etc. Theres a lot of great apps and resources out there but dont caught up in them, best to load truck and experiance it for yourself. Even if you eat a tag i bet more likely than not that your eating tag soup in a beatiful setting and enjoying amazing country. This board can actually help with real questions and use that search feature, most questions have already been beat to death. Good luck and safe travels

Some people make the tag application and strategy more important than hunts.
100% agree. Also there are some folks on here with lots of money, and who make hunting their #1 priority. That’s not an indictment, I wish I was in their shoes, but you can make a lot of hunts happen on a show string budget.

I’ve applied in a bunch of states now... MT, CO,UT,WY,AK,ID and NM the only tag I’ve drawn that wasn’t 100% odds or OTC was POW bear. I’m 8 years in, 5 years of apply in UT, MT, CO, and NM.

I split my vacation between trips with my wife and hunting. I typically have room for 1 7-9 day hunting trip and a bunch of long weekend trips (3-4 days).

9 days Ak black bear draw
4 days CO elk (leftover)
4 days (2 weekends) CO deer (leftover)

9 days AK caribou - bear OTC
4 days CO elk (draw no pts 100% odds)
2 days CO deer
4 days WY pronghorn (2nd choice)

I spend time scouting for the elk, and then did lots of bird hunting, helping other folks, etc... but that’s the length of trips for my last two years. I filled all the tags 🤷‍♂️.

I have had the luxury of being a CO resident but I will be coming from MA this year and this is my plan.

I won’t draw anything in UT, MT, WY... didn’t draw in AK or NM. Probably will just draw CO elk and deer. Going to hunt back east for deer and bear.
I will fly back for a 7 day elk hunt and then back a month later for a 3-4 day deer hunt. Maybe do a bear hunt as well. AK possible if the virus subsides.

Bottomline first year out focus OTC. Figure out your logistics, then start adding states, and more long shot hunts. As many guys as there are saying I apply everywhere there are also guys like Randy with a pile of points in Utah (and similar states) for multiple species saying I’m walking away from them soon because it’s just not worth it. Spend your money on making hunts happen. If you have enough money sure put in lotto ticket applications like MSG, if you don’t have a huge budget focus on sure things and go every year.

Good advice! That's basically what I'm doing. Just picking something and going for it. I'm just starting, and btw got the call yesterday my hunt for this year is rescheduled for September (black bear Manitoba). I figured there are a lot of different things to hunt out there and I want to experience as much as possible. I'm thinking about Montana next year for elk. Worse case I will do exactly what you guys have said and get a leftover cow tag or something.
Hopefully I can close the deal on a black bear this fall. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back