Travel Tips for Gallatin/Yellowstone area

Hooligan

Taking the Family (Myself, Mama, 10 year old and 5 year old girls) roadtripping to Yellowstone from Oregon in a few weeks. Planning to stay 2 days in Bozeman, and 2 days in Missoula on the way home.

What are the "must see and do" things in that area?

Ghost towns, Museums, Good (or bad) eateries etc that you guys have seen and done.

Looking forward to an amazing time away from the daily grind.....

I've always had a good breakfast at the Cateye in Bozeman...be prepared to wait a few minutes on the weekends. Not far from Bozo is a great steak (and lamb chops) at The Mint in Belgrade. Also there is a pretty good BBQ joint there in Belgrade (attached to Outlaw Brewing).

I would check the snow conditions in Yellowstone before you set your schedule too firmly. Lots of the roads are still snowed in as of this last week,

Museum of the Rockies, Lewis and Clark Caverns, Virginia City.

In Bozeman I'd eat at Ted's Montana Grill, Ale Works, Mackenzie River Pizza, or go Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan

One place is a MUST if you are in the Bozeman area.... The Oasis in Manhattan (20 miles west of Bozeman). Probably one of the best steak houses in the state and at a very, very good price (salad, potato, rib steak, and dessert for around $20). Another good steak house is the Land of Magic in Logan (about 25 miles west of Bozeman).
Also, Adagio in Livingston is a fantastic little Italian restaurant... unreal and very authentic (the veil is unreal!).
As for breakfast I would go to Soby's Cafe in downtown Bozeman...have Mexican style breakfast along with traditional Amerian eggs (I preper the apple strudel french toast... very tasty!). Mainstreet Overeasy is pretty good; however, I think it is overpriced for what you get.

Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan (20 miles west of Bozeman) has the best prime rib I've ever eaten. I've never had a bad meal there, although it isn't cheap. They also have wonderful burgers on the lunch menu.

The Depot, a restaurant in Missoula, also has been excellent. Wish I could remember the name of the Mexican place downtown in Missoula...Casa something...but the name escapes me.

Thanks for the heads up MissoulaZ28, the main roads re opened Friday the 20th according to the NPS Website. Musems of the Rockies is on our to do list, the others are great ideas!
Thanks you guys!

I would check the snow conditions in Yellowstone before you set your schedule too firmly. Lots of the roads are still snowed in as of this last week,

I just left Yellowstone yesterday. Over half the park is still cosed. Couldn't get to the lake, or tower falls.

We used the west entrance, accessed via 191 out of Bozeman. We could have saved 30 miles or so by taking 89 to the northeast entrance, but we weren't sure if it is open all the way yet.

We found out the hard way that Beartooth Pass is still closed...

Thanks for the info!!! We are staying 4 days at the West Yellowstone KOA, so it sounds like the 191 West entrance is where we will be entering and exiting the park. Fingers crossed the weather stays holding and more opens up in the coming 3+ weeks.

Just drove through Oregon today, we were going to hit Crater Lake, but skipped it due to weather. Glad we did, the weather was nasty enough through the Cascades.

RMEF's headquarters are in Missoula just off the freeway, they've got some cool taxidermy that I think the kids would like and gives the adults something to dream about.

fishing4sanity. Thanks! RMEF is on the list, as I have a business meeting with them on Thursday of that week. I have seen a few pictures of the headquarters and it looks to be a highlight of my time on this trip!

If you're not burnt out on looking at wildlife, you might want to check and see if the main road on the Bison Range just North of Missoula is open. Beautiful country loaded with tons of critters.

Lots of good food in Missoula. For fast food I'd check out Philly West, Hoagieville, or any of the local taco places, they're all good. Paul's pancake parlor makes the best breakfast in town, but it's an absolute mess trying to get in there on the weekend. If you're looking for a nice dinner the Depot's really good, if you're looking for a good cheap dinner Doublefront is hard to beat. Biga Pizza is another spot where it's hard to go wrong.

If you're in to beer, the three breweries in Missoula all make awesome brews.

Definitely take your kids to the museum of the rockies.

Both Missoula and Bozeman have pretty busy downtowns that have lots of storefronts.

Back