PEAX Equipment

Grand Canyon & Sedona Family Trip

crock239

Last year I got some great tips from HT for our family vacation to RMNP.

This spring break (mid-March) I'm planning to take the family to Sedona and Grand Canyon.

My kids are 8 and 10, so I'm not sure hiking all the way down to Phantom Ranch and back are in the cards this go round, but we will definitely want to get in some hiking and biking while there.

We'll have 2-3 days each in Sedona and GC.

Would love to hear recommendations from those that have been to the area recently...

Grand Canyon railroad from Williams to the South Rim is something kids should like. The hike up the West Fork of Oak Creek near Sedona is stunning, but very crowded on weekends. There are a lot of cool petroglyph sites around Sedona.

You guys flying into Vegas? If so take the kids hiking back to Red Mountain, loved that as much as the kids did. Walnut Canyon was a good little kid friendly stop too. Have fun!!
Thanks! Flying in to Phoenix coming up from the south. Maybe do Vegas next time when the kids are older. :LOL:

Grand Canyon railroad from Williams to the South Rim is something kids should like. The hike up the West Fork of Oak Creek near Sedona is stunning, but very crowded on weekends. There are a lot of cool petroglyph sites around Sedona.
Thanks, will look into that hike. I'd definitely like to find some petroglyph opportunities...I think it'd be cool for the kids to see.

How was your trip? Thinking of taking our 4 kids down there mid-May. Kids are 13-18. Any must do things or places to avoid? Thanks

We had a good trip. It was spring break (mid-March) so very crowded, and we had some winter weather to contend with at Grand Canyon.

20240316_090957.jpg

In Sedona, we hiked Doe Mtn, Fay Canyon Arch, and Birthing Cave...all were good. We didn't do some of the most popular Sedona hikes (Devils Bridge) because the amount of traffic at the trailheads was insane.

20240312_102655.jpg
Fay Canyon Arch

We stayed at an airbnb in West Sedona, which was convenient to get to most of the hikes located west of town.

We also did a Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona...highlight for sure. Kids loved it.

Grand Canyon...like all NP it's crowded. Waited 1hr or so in vehicle line to get through South Entrance gate. Heard that was actually pretty good, that wait can be 3 hrs or so figure that into your schedule.

On South Rim, drive out towards Desert View. Tour busses don't go that far so it's a little less crowded.

We hiked down S Kaibab trail a little ways, and that was good. Bright Angel trail was closed for trail work...might check that in advance of your trip.

We parked at Shoshone Trailhead and hiked an easy flat mile out to Shoshone Point. Highly recommend, incredible views and because of the "hike" far less crowded...had the view to ourselves for a bit.
20240313_183255.jpg

I probably wouldn't recommend Pink Jeep at Grand canyon...it looked to me like they just drive the same paved roads everyone else does, and they still had to wait in vehicle line at S Entrance gate.

Last edited:
We had a good trip. It was spring break (mid-March) so very crowded, and we had some winter weather to contend with at Grand Canyon.

In Sedona, we hiked Doe Mtn, Fay Canyon Arch, and Birthing Cave...all were good. We didn't do some of the most popular Sedona hikes (Devils Bridge) because the amount of traffic at the trailheads was insane.

We stayed at an airbnb in West Sedona, which was convenient to get to most of the hikes located west of town.

We also did a Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona...highlight for sure. Kids loved it.

Grand Canyon...like all NP it's crowded. Waited 1hr or so in vehicle line to get through South Entrance gate. Heard that was actually pretty good, that wait can be 3 hrs or so figure that into your schedule.

On South Rim, drive out towards Desert View. Tour busses don't go that far so it's a little less crowded.

We hiked down S Kaibab trail a little ways, and that was good. Bright Angel trail was closed for trail work...might check that in advance of your trip.

We parked at Shoshone Trailhead and hiked an easy flat mile out to Shoshone Point. Highly recommend, incredible views and because of the "hike" far less crowded...had the view to ourselves for a bit.

I probably wouldn't recommend Pink Jeep at Grand canyon...it looked to me like they just drive the same paved roads everyone else does, and they still had to wait in vehicle line at S Entrance gate.
Did you spot wildlife? I almost always see a bunch near the gate coming in from Williams.

Did you spot wildlife? I almost always see a bunch near the gate coming in from Williams.
For sure...could just about pet the elk and mule deer hanging around the S Rim across from the visitor center and near the lodges.

When I was there as a kid we saw bighorn sheep but we didn't see any of those this time around.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back