Caribou Gear

trail cameras on public land MT?

Flyfish4ever

I am looking into putting out trail cameras in July for my hunt in september and october (seeing that september doesnt work out). does anyone know montana's regs for putting trail cams out on public land? I am mainly using this as an inventory sorta thing, just seeing what's out there. I looked into the baiting laws and i see that it is illegal to hunt over bait, but it looks like a gray area as far as putting some sort of attractant for scouting purposes. To me, it looks like it would be legal, but also, unethical. I just wanted to know if any of you have experience with trail cameras on public lands in Montana.

as far as an attractant, i would put something similar to what i do for deer, a scrape. but i am curious about the use of a salt lick if i were to remove it prior to the opener. i will probably call the warden this week about it.

Trail cameras are allowed year round in Montana but they cannot have a remote connection during any open season. As far as baiting I believe it is illegal to bait or feed wild animals for any reason at any time of the year.

Glandular scent attractants are legal in MT so long as it is not an auto mechanical type dispersal unit, i.e.
Other states have an auto release mist / aerosol dispersal associated with their game cams. This is illegal in MT.

Outside that, it's common practice from trapping to trail cameras.

Best to ya!

As others have said, it is legal to use game cameras on public land. I would personally recommend sticking to your plan of setting up on game trails and watering sources and stay away from attractants. I would stay away from hiking trails and closed roads as people have a good chance of finding your cameras and damaging/stealing them. Good luck!

Not to hijack the thread, but I’ve got another legal/ethical question that I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to. A public land parcel that I hunt in MT has a spring on it. First question would be is it illegal to pile some rocks around this spring to create a better watering pool for wildlife. Assuming the answer to that is no, what are people’s thoughts on the ethics of that in the context of “baiting” generally being illegal in MT? My intent would be to hunt that watering hole.

If my dad was still alive, I would ask his opinion, already knowing the answer... “Son, if you are debating whether it’s ethical, then it probably isn’t.”

Salt blocks are legal in Arizona for use with trail cameras (illegal to hunt over salt). When I saw the many creatures which used the salt it made me more comfortable with its use from an ethical standpoint.

Sodium helps animals get more nutrition from their food or something. It's helpful for their wellbeing lets say that. Now I carry salt blocks around on my scouting trips and throw them out in random locations just for the wildlife.

There have been studies with cattle and how they can detect sodium by smell. The bulls and bucks are super hungry for salt when they are growing antlers. It's a great time to get lots of pictures because they come in range of your camera. After that they seem uninterested in it until January.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’ve got another legal/ethical question that I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to. A public land parcel that I hunt in MT has a spring on it. First question would be is it illegal to pile some rocks around this spring to create a better watering pool for wildlife. Assuming the answer to that is no, what are people’s thoughts on the ethics of that in the context of “baiting” generally being illegal in MT? My intent would be to hunt that watering hole.

If my dad was still alive, I would ask his opinion, already knowing the answer... “Son, if you are debating whether it’s ethical, then it probably isn’t.”
i would think that helping to create better habitat would almost be encouraged

Leave no trace on wild public lands, the animals are already getting enough water without damming up a spring.

Regarding Montana....don't be THAT guy.....please, NO SALT, NO BAIT!!!! I've given GPS directions to many wardens over the years to locations that someone decided to place cameras over salt or bait out in our MT public lands. The last photos on the cards are always of me smashing the cameras with rock or limb!!!

Just so I understand this, you hate that they are breaking the law so much that you are going to teach them a lesson by breaking the law?

Just so I understand this, you hate that they are breaking the law so much that you are going to teach them a lesson by breaking the law?

This is not right, a lot of ranchers that have grazing permits on public lands place salt blocks out for their livestock. Lots of outfitters/public horseman pack salt into roadless areas for their stock, I know most of you don’t agree with grazing public land, but I personally do, and placement of salt benefits a wide variety of wildlife.
Destroying someone’s trail camera is being a jack wagon, you can call it into the warden if you want, but most of them have bigger fish to fry. I dont agree with baiting animals either. Preston

I’m sorry Kenton I wasn’t referring to you, but Mthunter

Here is the language from the MT Big Game Regulations:

Baiting (MCA 87-6-401, CR)
• It is unlawful for anyone to hunt or attempt to hunt by the aid of or with the use of any bait, salt lick, trap, snare or set gun.
• Baiting shall mean the placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of food sources or salt so as to constitute a lure or attraction.

So it’s all about intent. If you put a salt lick out for the purpose of attracting game, it’s illegal. If you do it for your livestock, then that’s not forbidden by this reg. There’s obviously some gray area there that could be exploited in determining one’s intent.

I disagree that most people on here are against grazing on public land. Most of us understand and accept that public lands are multi-use. Yeah, we get irritated when certain ranchers act like they own that public land, but that doesn’t mean we are against grazing.

kenton.....I made the decision to except any and all charges that would be levied against me for my actions, they definitely have the proof. To clarify, locations were in Montana's wilderness areas without any FS livestock grazing allotments and I did so out of frustration/anger. I am amazed at the amount of effort some folks will commit in breaking the law and become a wildlife poacher. My hope was to let the folks know that their actions had been discovered and that they might stop their illegal activity. I received my reward later that fall. I was gifted a long nights walk out from the trailhead as someone had let the air out of my tires. Fortunately for me that they did not slash the sidewalls and only deflated. Wish that I had photographic proof of that one.

Thank you for calling me out on my statement.

Mtnhunter1

Back