Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trail cam for trailhead thieves

Enroute to Alaska for a hunt last fall, we had our truck broke into in Canada, and most all our hunting gear swiped. In my pack was my Garmin Inreach. The thieves were dumb enough to use the inreach, even using each other's names' in the text. We had home address, times, and names, and the police still wouldnt do anything. Very frustrating.

Cars get stolen in Billings, ‘recovered’ on the Rez. Except for the part where the tribal police ‘keep them as evidence’ and nobody gets their vehicle back. It’s neat.

Better off to rig up some hidden cameras in/on your vehicle than to try trail cams at the trail head.

My solution is to drive an absolute POS car and take anything of value with me. Very few $1,000 cars are stolen or broken into for obvious reasons. Rolling up in a 50k truck with custom wheels and thousands in gear advertised on the back window is pretty much begging for people to mess with your stuff these days.

Slap a Sitka and Swaro sticker on the truck for extra attention.

Just make sure you place the trail camera where it can get the plate number. Not just getting a picture of guy in coat that looks like everyone else. You bring in a license plate number to local sheriff and he will be able follow up. Different story if you give him a crappy picture of avg. looking guy or vehicle. Can't speak for Canada or issues in AK town. Sheriff's will take a for sure case and follow up with the criminals. They just don't have the time, man power or crystal ball when they are given limited info.

I would second the "putting it up high in the tree" suggestions. I have been pretty fortunate, never have had anything tampered with even when leaving stuff unoccupied at a campground. As for the statements that police won't bother with a case, I guess that depends on where you are at. I think officers near me really follow up on this stuff because a lot of the thefts are by meth users looking for cash

And the #1 reason to not buy a nice cooler is!
You guys remind me of this
[video=youtube_share;xoxhDk-hwuo]https://youtu.be/xoxhDk-hwuo[/video]

It cant be too hard to rig a cooler that shoots pepper spray when the lid is opened.

I was about to post the glitter bomb video when i saw someone beat me to it on page 2. I'd love to rig one with a bear spray bomb.

Why do we have to tolerate people stealing out shit like we're doing something wrong by leaving some stuff in our vehicles? F that.

Sadly... the police chief here, says the exact same thing. I may be jaded, because its been an epidemic here for the last 6-7 years and it has only gotten worse. I think we're finally number one per capita for car thefts.

Up here, if you don't want it stolen, keep it where it will be less likely to be stolen... at home locked up. I don't' even leave stuff sitting around outside my house that I don't want stolen, and I live out of town in a decent neighborhood, with a dozen cops/troopers/FBI living within 1/4 mile of me... cars get stolen out of peoples driveways, stuff out of their yards/cars, their sheds, their houses, you name it. Everyone has security cameras, and the losers rarely get caught even with good video footage. All they need to do is wear a hat, and you can't see their face.

I live in a fairly rural neighborhood between Ester and Nenana.
My neighbor woke up one morning to discover some clowns trying to steal his generator.
So he shot out their rear tire with a .22 and told his wife to call 911 and tell them "shots fired".

There were 5 troopers (2 cars) here within 10-minutes!

If she did not report "shots fired", the response would be come into town and fill out the paperwork.

I agree with you that security footage rarely helps unless the thief has a unique vehicle.

I park my 25-year old truck at the boat ramp when I'm gone hunting for 7-10 days to minimize break-ins....
they seem to target the expensive new trucks.

They will steal anything anywhere shoot them like the varmits they are!
Thin out the herd of IDGIOTS!:cool:

I'm thinking of putting a camera or two at my 3 favorite trailheads this year also.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/m...for-security-camera-to-deter-trailhead-thefts

Sad crap such as this occurs. Once a person or crew find vulnerable areas for quick cash, it spreads like a wildfire. A bummer MT FWP LEO's are forced to cease all law enforcement operations for 1/3rd their weekly shift, crime sure as heck does not decrease. Dependent solely on County Sheriff Deputies, who are stretched and FS LEOs thin boned in their staffing - sure hope LEO's roll up on them in the act.
Good on the Miller gent for developing possible surveillance solutions. Always awesome when citizens become vigilant within legal authority.

Well, I know for a fact that the sheriff is quite interested in putting an end to this, but not leaving your stuff in the car is certainly the most pragmatic.

If you have hardside gun cases, leave them open. If you use the soft kind then bend them in half so it's obvious that there is no firearm in it.

Back