Traeger Virgin

So far, I have only done the recommended seasoning of the grill. Elk hunting and work keeping me busy. The whole antelope shoulders in my freezer are calling.. mtmuley
Cook to temp, not to time. I haven't done an antelope shoulder, but plenty of chops and steaks. Med rare to medium suits me best

Cooked to temp, Moose with a Port-wine sauce. Maybe I do need to get a traeger too? Just for variety maybe....

Salt, pepper and cook on a rack:
20191105_174551.jpg

Letting the Thermometer do it's thing:
Screenshot_20191105-180836.jpg
Then seared, basted in butter and sliced:

20191105_185400.jpg

Put some sauce on it and wish there was more.

20191105_185744.jpg

I'm going to start with some elk backstraps from last year instead of antelope shoulder. You guys put any smoke on them before cooking till done? mtmuley

I'm going to start with some elk backstraps from last year instead of antelope shoulder. You guys put any smoke on them before cooking till done? mtmuley

Yes. I do it both ways. An hour of smoke, then finish on high until desired temp is a good way to roll.

Well, I employed mine today as a smoker and made Walton’s Honey BBQ snack sticks out of my old mans deer. It turned out ok but there was a lot of waste trying to get the center links to 160 degrees. Most of the ends and outer links got way overdone. They are now dog treats. After trimming I ended up with what’s pictured below. Tomorrow I am going to do another 12.5 lbs in a dedicated electric smoker to cut down on waste. Traeger works but there are better options.
3F872768-6CD7-477A-94E8-305B8CF590F6.jpeg

check out TWsnow's recipe on page 3--i've tried this twice now with great results; going to be my standard now(y)

Well, I employed mine today as a smoker and made Walton’s Honey BBQ snack sticks out of my old mans deer. It turned out ok but there was a lot of waste trying to get the center links to 160 degrees. Most of the ends and outer links got way overdone. They are now dog treats. After trimming I ended up with what’s pictured below. Tomorrow I am going to do another 12.5 lbs in a dedicated electric smoker to cut down on waste. Traeger works but there are better options.
View attachment 121005
hmm, what temp did you try smoking at and for how long?

hmm, what temp did you try smoking at and for how long?

The smoke setting and our wonderful MI weather averaged 165 degrees. The directions had me starting at 125, then 145, then on to 180 to finish. Best I could do was the 165 for about 3 hours. Some of the outside sticks got to 155 but others were 85. I should of pulled the 155s at that time but let it run. It took another 4 hours at 225 to get the center sticks to 160. All around this learning curve was kinda expensive and not much fun.

So first post here and just got turned on to this a month or two ago by Randy.
I tried the traeger big game rub with elk, deer and antelope all at the same time on my grill and by far the rub worked best with the antelope and deer. I felt it had more sugar then I would use if I made the rub myself and I was good with elk but I would recommend it with antelope and deer. I cooked it at 225 and just went to temp not time for back strap and tenderloin. I should have taken pics of then for comparison but didn't.

I will put some pics up of a rib cook off with all treager grills that was fun. We did 144 racks.IMG_4709.jpgIMG_4696.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back