Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tracking dogs for wounded game?

devon deer

Another thread got me thinking, do you guys use tracking dogs for wounded/lost game?
It's really taking off in the UK.
My friend uses a Bavarian Mountain hound, and is part of a ever increasing group in the UK.
Should anyone mess up a quick phone call and they will be with you either the same day or at worst the next day, their success rate is excellent.
Take a look here https://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
There is nobody near where i live but another friend i have has offered the use of his GSP which he has trained, luckily i haven't had to call him.

I appreciate your country is huge compared to the UK but i am just interested

Cheers
Richard

Its illegal in Iowa also. I think theres been a couple times that dogs would have sure helped find deer that i didnot recover.

Why on earth is it illegal?
You are doing your best to end the suffering of a wounded animal, i must be missing something here, anyone know the reasons behind this?
Cheers
Richard

Why on earth is it illegal?
You are doing your best to end the suffering of a wounded animal, i must be missing something here, anyone know the reasons behind this?
Cheers
Richard

The fear that people will use dogs for the hunt, not just recovery of the animal.

They can be used in Indiana but have to be leashed. I'm planning on getting a bird dog by the year's end and plan on doing a bit of training with it for blood trailing. 'Course I'm hoping it's a wonder dog...upland birds, water retrieves, tree squirrels, blood trailing, lap dog, etc... Regardless how it turns out, it'll be nice to have a 4 legged friend in the house again.

Not so long ago people used to use packs of dogs to run deer until the deer dropped from exhaustion.
Although that practice has been banned in the UK it still goes on, they are called Stag hounds.

Regarding tracking dogs, as 1 pointer stated, the dogs are kept on a long leash so cannot chase the deer.

Cheers

Richard

You can use them in MT to track wounded big game animals, but not hunt or chase them.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back