Caribou Gear Tarp

Total gear upgrade/acquisition

Everything on your list will work. It will come down to what fits you best, at least with the pack and boots. For sleeping bags, I would also consider the WM Versalite.
The best investment you can make is to do a ton of backpacking this summer.

I’m good on boots and optics. Good advice on the filter. Thanks
Missed the filter question.

I have a gravity works that I use for early season hunts + backpacking.

Late fall + alpine hunting I use tabs. It took a lot of convincing for me to switch over but several season in I won’t go back. I like to carry a MSR dromedary and my camelback, that way I can fill the MSR dromedary and toss in some pills and let it do it’s thing and still have drinking water.

Every jet boil I've been around has failed. MSR or cheap amazon, you get what you pay for either way.

You will never be disappointed by Western Mountaineering.

Water filter I'm not sold on the Sawyer system, but a lot of others I've been around are. I prefer the Katadyn base camp (i'm over pumping).

Med kit needs to include heavy painkillers. If you break you leg, it's nice to numb the pain enough to get a fire and shelter sorted out.
pain killers thin the blood, not a good idea at high elevation. Better off plant based in that case. I'm assuming hes not going alone tho so ditch the pain killers

what you got going right now I think would work fine. I also have never gotten the chance to hunt goat either so grain of salt here. But you are at least close enough to town that if you find something you do need its not as big of a deal to go get it. I would spend more time making sure you can hit the thing when the moment arises.

For me a buying a good pack is a lot like buying good boots, TRY THEM ON!!! Preferably with some weight that is close to what you will be lugging up the mountain.

I've always used a Katadyne Hiker pro pump filter, mostly because I want to be able to filter gross water if I have to, but in the alpine and trying to stay light I'd go with the Sawyer in-line system.

For the bag your options are all quality and it sounds like you're a stranger to MT alpine fun. I'd personally go with a 15-20 degree bag and a liner just because I sleep super warm, so I like the option of not using the liner.

Pad, go with the xtherm just because its a bit warmer and more rugged. And have a patch kit! The ground is hard up there.

Sounds like you have a fun season coming up, cant wait to read about it!

For me a buying a good pack is a lot like buying good boots, TRY THEM ON!!! Preferably with some weight that is close to what you will be lugging up the mountain.

I've always used a Katadyne Hiker pro pump filter, mostly because I want to be able to filter gross water if I have to, but in the alpine and trying to stay light I'd go with the Sawyer in-line system.

For the bag your options are all quality and it sounds like you're a stranger to MT alpine fun. I'd personally go with a 15-20 degree bag and a liner just because I sleep super warm, so I like the option of not using the liner.

Pad, go with the xtherm just because its a bit warmer and more rugged. And have a patch kit! The ground is hard up there.

Sounds like you have a fun season coming up, cant wait to read about it!
Both MR and SG are within a 1/2 mile of my office so trying on packs will be easy. I am a rookie at alpine camping/hunting so the information everyone is providing is very appreciated. At least my wife gave me the 👍 to get whatever gear I need. I’m sure it will cost me down the road though 😉

what you got going right now I think would work fine. I also have never gotten the chance to hunt goat either so grain of salt here. But you are at least close enough to town that if you find something you do need its not as big of a deal to go get it. I would spend more time making sure you can hit the thing when the moment arises.
Getting lots of shooting in already

Reactions: KB_
Missed the filter question.

I have a gravity works that I use for early season hunts + backpacking.

Late fall + alpine hunting I use tabs. It took a lot of convincing for me to switch over but several season in I won’t go back. I like to carry a MSR dromedary and my camelback, that way I can fill the MSR dromedary and toss in some pills and let it do it’s thing and still have drinking water.
I do the same with aquamira drops and a dromedary. It takes 5 minutes to prep a couple days worth of water and weighs nothing. The only downside is you can't drink immediately, but a little life straw solves that at about a 2 ounce penalty.

Pack- MR metcalf or SG Sky 5900 or EXO K3 r4800
Sleeping bag- SG Chilkoot 15 or 0 deg or WM Kodiak MF or Antelope MF or Therm-a-Rest Oberon
Pad- Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air x-lite or neo-air xtherm
Stove- MSR Windburner 1.0 or Jet Boil flash
Water filter. ??
First aid kit??

S.Bag - i'd go with 0F to be safe. that elevation in OCT you could be snowed in. Look at bags EN/ISO rating, some brands use Limit and not Comfort rating. so compare Apples to Apples. so 0F Limit bag will be more of a true 15-20F comfort bag. i dont think i'd take 15F bag up that late in the season.

Pad - i have and use xTherm and like it a lot (their 4 season inflatable) 6.9R value !!!! . X-lite is only 3-4oz lighter, but hs 4.2R value, which is still very good, but if there's a chance of camping in the snow, go with xTherm. ** also if you did end up going with 15F bag lets say, i deff would go with xTherm. Sleeping pad comfort and Rvalue are just as important as bags temp rating. maybe people dont realize that all that 800Fill down in your sleeping bag will be fully compressed under your back/side against the pad, and will provide no insulation/warmth, and having high Rvalue sleeping pad is what will keep your back warm from the ground.

MSR Windburner - have it and use it, love it. yes you can save few ounces by getting pocket and a lightweight pot, but i like the system of windburner.

Water filter - if you will be near water source, i really like Sawyer. get the Squeeze all in One system. and only carry the filter and 1 or 2 of those squeeze bags. Filter itself is only 3oz. same weight as their Mini Squeeze filter, but has much better flow rate. dont worry about back flushing it or reduced flow rate with the AllInOne filter. where you will be water is so clean that you're really only filtering out bacteria and micro stuff. it should be good for a week trip. I've used it for getting water out of whiskey colored ponds occasionally, and while color persists, water was perfectly safe to drink, and i didnt get sick. or if you really want to save weight, just get iodine tablets, but requires little more planning as they have wait time of up to 1hr to take full effect.

just get iodine tablets

Chlorine Dioxide is the way to go, also there is a lot of confusion about time for Chlorine Dioxide.
15 min for viruses and bacteria
30 min for Giardia or Norovirus (or bacteria and viruses if water is dirty)
4 hours for crypto
Times are the same for Aquamira liquid or the tablets, there is a misconception that aquamira is faster.

1590608158557.png

Chlorine Dioxide is the way to go, also there is a lot of confusion about time for Chlorine Dioxide.
15 min for viruses and bacteria
30 min for Giardia or Norovirus (or bacteria and viruses if water is dirty)
4 hours for crypto
Times are the same for Aquamira liquid or the tablets, there is a misconception that aquamira is faster.

View attachment 141776
I have had that misconception.

Any of the listed gear will work well. Everything listed is top of the line gear from reputable companies, and many hunters have made do with much less.

For filters, you may want to consider the Katadyn BeFree. The sawyer mini is good but don't love the flow rate and think the katadyn is better.

Thanks everyone for all of the input and tips. Hopefully I’ll be posting some good scouting pics in a month or so.

These are sure nice to have and they don't weigh much. When you need them you really need them.

These are very similar and almost as good as the Hillsound. I like the strap over the top of the foot to add a bit more insurance that the crampon stays on your boot. A couple of times I have had my strap snag on a branch or something and start to come off of my boot. I have not lost one yet, but my buddy did on his goat hunt. Both are excellent but I just like the design of the Hillsound a bit better.

Scent free butt wipes kept in a quart size heavy ziplock bag. These are a must have in addition to the TP. Great for a quick clean up on the pit area or other parts! I'd also suggest some good trekking poles. I sure like them and they really help keep your balance and you don't waste as much energy slipping and losing ground with every step. Provides a lot of additional balance too.

Steripen is what i use for filtering. Really great imo, kills all virus and bacteria. No filter to clog and or freeze. Bring tablets for backup emergency though in the first aid kit.

These are sure nice to have and they don't weigh much. When you need them you really need them.

These are very similar and almost as good as the Hillsound. I like the strap over the top of the foot to add a bit more insurance that the crampon stays on your boot. A couple of times I have had my strap snag on a branch or something and start to come off of my boot. I have not lost one yet, but my buddy did on his goat hunt. Both are excellent but I just like the design of the Hillsound a bit better.

Scent free butt wipes kept in a quart size heavy ziplock bag. These are a must have in addition to the TP. Great for a quick clean up on the pit area or other parts! I'd also suggest some good trekking poles. I sure like them and they really help keep your balance and you don't waste as much energy slipping and losing ground with every step. Provides a lot of additional balance too.
I have micro spikes and trekking poles. Good call on buttwipes. Hiking swass sucks.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back