Total gear upgrade/acquisition

track1

Having drawn a Montana goat tag this year I am going to be getting set up for backpack hunting. I am very well set up for day hunts but not backpacking. I’ve been doing plenty of research and am about to pull the trigger on a couple grand worth of equipment. I just want to put the list of what I’m looking at on here and would like to know if I’m making any major mistakes on my gear choices. I don’t want to go cheap but I don’t want to waste money either. I know everyone has their favorites, I’m just trying to make sure I have the right equipment to be safe and comfortable. I’ll be camping 8500-9000 feet hopeful no later then the end of October. Maximum 7 days. Any other key gear? I’m good on clothing and have a kuiu 2 person mountain star tent.

Pack- MR metcalf or SG Sky 5900 or EXO K3 r4800
Sleeping bag- SG Chilkoot 15 or 0 deg or WM Kodiak MF or Antelope MF or Therm-a-Rest Oberon
Pad- Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air x-lite or neo-air xtherm
Stove- MSR Windburner 1.0 or Jet Boil flash
Water filter. ??
First aid kit??

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Having drawn a Montana goat tag this year I am going to be getting set up for backpack hunting. I am very well set up for day hunts but not backpacking. I’ve been doing plenty of research and am about to pull the trigger on a couple grand worth of equipment. I just want to put the list of what I’m looking at on here and would like to know if I’m making any major mistakes on my gear choices. I don’t want to go cheap but I don’t want to waste money either. I know everyone has their favorites, I’m just trying to make sure I have the right equipment to be safe and comfortable. I’ll be camping 8500-9000 feet hopeful no later then the end of October. Maximum 7 days. Any other key gear? I’m good on clothing and have a kuiu 2 person mountain star tent.

Pack- MR metcalf or SG Sky 5900 or EXO K3 r4800
Sleeping bag- SG Chilkoot 15 or 0 deg or WM Kodiak MF or Antelope MF or Therm-a-Rest Oberon
Pad- Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air x-lite or neo-air xtherm
Stove- MSR Windburner 1.0 or Jet Boil flash
Water filter. ??
First aid kit??
SG pack
WM- Antelope
Neo-Air xtherm
I prefer the pocket rocket over the wind burner

For a first aid kit you don’t need to get very elaborate. Carry a CAT tourniquet and a few other items.

Can’t help you on the other stuff. The bags are nicer than anything I have. Packs, you can’t go wrong with any of them.

I’m am a vet. I’ll keep that in mind.
Expert voice and Outdoor prolink will both offer you some good deals on a lot of these brands, including Mystery Ranch. Stone Glacier offers a Military/LE discount too. You definitely have the right idea of going with quality to start with, I’ve regretted going cheap every time I’ve done it.

You won’t go wrong with any of the options listed. For a goat hunt I’d go MSR windburner over a Jetboil or Pocket Rocket, I’ve seen a big difference between them in windy conditions. I’ve used both MR and SG packs and both are outstanding. My next sleeping bag will either be a Western Mountaineering or one of the new SG bags. My next sleeping pad will probably be an Xtherm. I use an older Katadyn Hiker Pro and haven’t felt the need to change that.

I focus my money on the 3Bs; boots, backpack, binos. You're suggestions for the packs seems solid and I'd lean towards the SG. I've helped with one goat hunt and would make sure I have the boots and binos dialed in before spending money on the others. Of the options you list for the other things I'd go with the pad with the highest R value and the Jetboil. I've had good luck with MSR pump style filters, but I'd strongly suggest looking at getting an inline setup so you don't have to pump. Sawyer is a popular brand for setting one of these up.

I'd get on that affirmed credit line and max that shit out.......haha just me though. Looks like a good list to choose from. Hope to hear a story about the hunt too

Every jet boil I've been around has failed. MSR or cheap amazon, you get what you pay for either way.

You will never be disappointed by Western Mountaineering.

Water filter I'm not sold on the Sawyer system, but a lot of others I've been around are. I prefer the Katadyn base camp (i'm over pumping).

Med kit needs to include heavy painkillers. If you break you leg, it's nice to numb the pain enough to get a fire and shelter sorted out.

I focus my money on the 3Bs; boots, backpack, binos. You're suggestions for the packs seems solid and I'd lean towards the SG. I've helped with one goat hunt and would make sure I have the boots and binos dialed in before spending money on the others. Of the options you list for the other things I'd go with the pad with the highest R value and the Jetboil. I've had good luck with MSR pump style filters, but I'd strongly suggest looking at getting an inline setup so you don't have to pump. Sawyer is a popular brand for setting one of these up.
I’m good on boots and optics. Good advice on the filter. Thanks

I'd get on that affirmed credit line and max that shit out.......haha just me though. Looks like a good list to choose from. Hope to hear a story about the hunt too
I plan on sharing hunt pics, scouting pics and story. Hopefully I’ll get some good mountain lake fishing in this summer while scouting also.

I plan on sharing hunt pics, scouting pics and story. Hopefully I’ll get some good mountain lake fishing in this summer while scouting also.
Which district if you don't mind me asking.

Holy shit id say so. There's some good Intel in this site for that goat district. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back