Torsion bar key leveling kit.

mtmuley

Looking for experiences from those that have done a torsion bar leveling kit with keys on a GM ifs truck. Good and bad. I only want to hear from those that have done this or any of you guys that deal with suspensions professionally. Thanks. mtmuley

My 15 2500 Sierra we did it to. After 4 months put it back. It really makes the truck ride stiff. We knew going into it that it would be a rougher ride but underestimated just how bad it could possibly be.

Did my 2013 2500hd duramax without the keys. Just tightened up the bars I believe just shy of one turn. (Almost 10 years ago so my memory is failing on it. Haha). Took it in immediately after for alignment. It was slightly off but not terrible, and it leveled it up nice. Not an extreme ride difference either.

Did you install one? Lots of info all over. Just looking for experiences. Smooth ride isn't a goal. It's a 3/4 ton truck. mtmuley
Had keys on a 2003HD. Certainly stiffened up the ride a little but lifted it 2.5 or so. Helped clear some tires though. Installed some Bilstein 5100 shocks made a better ride also.

2009 Suburban 2500, Rough Country torsion keys to level the front end. Raised it about 2”. Kept factory size tires and there was no change in handling or ride quality.

It came with shock extender brackets so you can use the factory shocks. It would top out the factory shocks off-road occasionally, but I don’t ride hard off-road so it didn’t really matter to me. I installed bilstein 5100’s that are 2” longer for leveled out trucks and the click of the shocks topping out stopped.

Last edited:
Did my 2013 2500hd duramax without the keys. Just tightened up the bars I believe just shy of one turn. (Almost 10 years ago so my memory is failing on it. Haha). Took it in immediately after for alignment. It was slightly off but not terrible, and it leveled it up nice. Not an extreme ride difference either.
Did the same on an 06 2500 HD.

I always just tightened up the bars on mine too, then realigned. Some guys said you shouldn't do that. That was an 06 duramax I bought new, traded with over 200k on it. Never touched the front end other than shocks. Ymmv

Last edited:
I always just tightened up the bars on mine too, then realigned
I've done this on 2 chevys also. The suspension is noticeably rougher but you do gain height and clearance for bigger tires. Definitely have to get an alignment.

Never really had issues with it other than they ride more like a 1 ton empty dodge than a chevy afterwards. I would recommend going only as much as you need for your goal, and if you have to go all the way the keys do have their place

I've done this on 2 chevys also. The suspension is noticeably rougher but you do gain height and clearance for bigger tires. Definitely have to get an alignment.

Never really had issues with it other than they ride more like a 1 ton empty dodge than a chevy afterwards. I would recommend going only as much as you need for your goal, and if you have to go all the way the keys do have their place
Exactly.

I've done this on many. It works. If you're just after a little height or clearance, don't waste your money on the "keys", just run the bolt down. Does the same exact thing (places more torsion on your torsion bar). There seems to be a point in all trucks where lift/torsion turns into a pogo stick affect. Very undesirable for most. Crank up both bolts a bit and drive it around the block to allow things to settle. Measure at the fenders or frame for level(ish). Repeat until desired height is achieved. You will absolutely need an alignment afterwards, as you'll be toed in quite a bit.

Last edited:
I’ve done a couple with the readylift keys. 3/4 ton GMC’s. Ride didn’t change much IMO. Ball joints seems to wear a little faster. Not a bad way to go if you don’t want the bigger lift .

I have done it with my 2018 2500HD. Keys up, and leveled. I had a little bit of settling on how much with the keys. Initially too stiff, but they adjusted a smidge, and now all is perfect. I like the leveling, and would do it again.

2015 2500 silverado. I put them on with new shocks. I didn't notice much difference in the smoothness of the ride. I put them in my 2009 1500 with new shocks and noticed a little bit of a rougher ride. Still have both trucks no issues in either. Just had both realigned after install. I will say appearance wise both look way better. I love GMs but I hate how their stance from the factory. It's guaranteed to lose that plastic piece below front bumper.

20220218_181536.jpg

Back