Topo software

Ridge Runner

I have a Garmin ETrex and looking at getting the national geoghraphic topo software for it. Does anybody use this software or recommend a different type.It looks like it is pretty detailed and up to date. Any thoughts?

I bought the NG one but have not used it yet. I don't know which is the better one of the ones on the market, but when I asked about topo programs, the most recommended one was NG.

Thanks guys... Anybody know of the cheapest place to buy the NG on the net?? I have seen it around for about 80 bucks, seems to be the going rate. Looked at the Mapquest but a bit exspensive around 300.Question though. Does the NG actually allow you to upload the map itself to the gps or are you limited to routes and waypoints? I read somewhere that you can only upload the map detail by using the Garmin topo software. :confused:

[ 04-01-2004, 05:18: Message edited by: Ridge Runner ]

I have never used NG, but have heard good things about it. I do not think you are able to load backgrounds, only routes and way points.

I have a couple of Garmins that I use at work and I use MapSource software for the backgrounds. The disks (3) cover the entire country and run about $90 total.

Depending on the e-trex you have, you can put quite a bit of data on your unit. The one I have is an E-trex Vista and I can put about 20% of Montana on it. It is invaluable in the field, expecially in the checkboard land status that is common in my part of the state. I use it in coordination with BLM 1:100K topomaps and it shows the same topography. Very handy in finding public lands when there are no boundaries such as fences.

Hmmm... Thanks MT. I have the Ledgend so just wondering if I am using the paper map that I can print from the software if I really need to have the map background? I guess it boils down to user preference. But I can see where it would come in handy to have. decisions decisions :confused:

Tough call, I am spoiled since I have all the 1:100K maps for MT in the office. In my opinion, the background on the etrex is not too valuable to me unless I have a hard map with land status to go with it.

I feel I'm pretty covered for UT having the Nat. Geo. topo softwar in conjuction with the land status maps. Would anyone be willing to let me borrow their NG software for another state for a few days???? :D

That's one of the things with the NG.It is limited to the state but the map detail is awesome I here. Any takers on the Delorme USA? you get the 2d and 3 d with sattelite photos that you can can split screen for laying out your waypoints and tracks. This one looks pretty cool. :cool: Thanks for the site WH.

I have the Delorme Topo program and it's pretty awesome. The 3D option is cool, I also like to lay out a route on the screen and view the elevation profile so I can see elevation gain/loss for different paths I may take.

my favorite feature is the map maker. It allows me to make customized maps (1 sheet up to 3x3 sheets). I load the waypoints, add a UTM grid overlay, set my print area and send it to the printer. Once that's done I trim the printouts and sandwich them between layers of clear contact paper. It makes a durable waterproof topo map. I usually do the 3x3 option which is 9 pages (Top 6 pages on the front side and bottom 3 pages on the back side of the map keeps it at a reasonable size.

*Ink saving tip- If you don't turn off the vegetation layer (forested areas have a green background) the minor contour lines will be drowned out and hard to see when printed out. I learned this after printing a 9 page map. As the area was mostly forested it ended up as a pretty poor excuse for a topo.

I got a new Garmin Oregon GPS for my birthday, it's a cool unit but I can't upload maps to it from the Delorme software. I'll have to buy the Garmin version in order to upload 1:24k maps. I wish they got me the Delorme PN60 instead but beggars can't be choosers.

1:24k topo maps on my GPS unit may be a cool feature, but my printed maps don't rely on batteries.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back