PEAX Equipment

Top 5 westerns

Outlaw Josey Wales
Jeremiah Johnson
Shane
Magnificent Seven (the first one)
Unforgiven

Not near the top as movies go, but special to me.
The Hanging Tree, Book was written by Dorthy Johnson in the house I grew up in.
The Plainsman, Filmed in part on the ranch.

Josey
Quigley
Lonesome Dove
Jeremiah Johnson
Legends of the fall
Tombstone

But, I could watch every one listed in this thread with no problem. ( except the Revenant, that might be the worst movie in the history of Hollywood).

And, Gunsmoke.....I could watch Gunsmoke all day.

Lonesome Dove
Jeremiah Johnson
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Mountain Men
True Grit the OG

I can’t do just 5

Open Range
Good Bad & The Ugly
Dances With Wolves
Rooster Cogburn and the Lady
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
The Man From Snowy River

Honorable Mention

3:10 Yuma remake
BreakHeart Pass
The Cowboys
The Quick and the Dead
The Long Riders
Silverado

Last edited:
1. Jeremiah Johnson (favorite movie all time.)
2. Unforgiven
3. Open Range
4. True Grit (Jeff Bridges remake)
5. Magnificent Seven

Sorry folks, no offense intended, but most of your choices are crap. To be on any listing of "BEST" a movie has to be somewhat historically accurate not only in actual happenings, location, dress, language, and a number of facets as well as have some outstanding acting. Just being entertaining or funny or having a cast of your favorite characters doesn't take it out of the "also showing" category. Silverado, really? Love to watch Clint and the Duke but not much of theirs could be called best.

Off the top of my head I couldn't even come up with five and I'm sure there are some I've forgotten about that might make the list. These are listed in no special order:

Monte Walsh (The original with Lee Marvin).
All the Pretty Horses
Wind River
Open Range

Maybe Jeremiah Johnson.

And, if you think my choices are crap, that's okay.

Some decent guesses, but here they are in no particular order…

True Grit with John Wayne in his Oscar winning performance. Maxim Magazine rates the scene with “Lucky” Ned Pepper as best male scene in a movie. Glenn Campbell’s performance tarnished the movie a bit, But Wayne was stellar. The second “True Grit” with Jeff bridges was excellent, but Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne. Hailee Steinfeld got screwed out of an Oscar for some other person that didn’t deserve it like she did.

Unforgiven; the opening scene alone is better than most other entire movies

Monte Walsh; the original with Lee Marvin. Few movies capture the emergence of the settling of the west in the accuracy and depiction of the last of the open range. “As long as there is one cowboy taking care of one cow, it ain’t dead!” Riding down the grey could be the best unscripted scene in any movie.

Tombstone; this has to be one of the most quoted movies of all time. Val Kilmer was a great Doc Holiday, but Kurt Russell nailed his part as Wyatt Earp. Powers Booth was a perfect Bill Brocius and few even know who Michael Biehn is as he was a great Johnny Ringo.

Jerimiah Johnson; although Jerimiah Johnson doesn’t really fit the most common “Western” genre, it has to be considered one of the best. It is one of the few movies that isn’t ruined by putting a leading lady role into a film that doesn’t need one. No disclaimers about animals harmed in the filming, that elk didn’t drop like it did without being shot.

Liberty Valance could easily make it, both John Wayne and Lee Marvin were exceptional, as much as people like Jimmy Stewart, I find him kind of weak and why he always talked like he had a mouthful is spit, I just don’t get.

Last edited:
1- Pretty much all of John Wayne’s
2- Pretty much all of Clint Eastwood’s
3- Sam Elliot - Conagher and the Sackett’s
4 - Lonesome Dove
5 - tie -Jimmy Stewart’s / Open Range
HM - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- Wyatt Earp and Tombstone
- Magnificent Seven

Lonesome Dove
Jeremiah Johnson
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Mountain Men
True Grit the OG

I can’t do just 5

Open Range
Good Bad & The Ugly
Dances With Wolves
Rooster Cogburn and the Lady
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
The Man From Snowy River

Honorable Mention

3:10 Yuma remake
BreakHeart Pass
The Cowboys
The Quick and the Dead
The Long Riders
Silverado
Totally spaced adding Long Riders.

Just to give it a little more run in this thread, Godless was really damn good. Jeff Daniels as the “bad guy” was marvelous.

Gotta give Red Headed Stranger a little love, too. But the album was better than the movie

1. Jeremiah Johnson (favorite movie all time.)
2. Unforgiven
3. Open Range
4. True Grit (Jeff Bridges remake)
5. Magnificent Seven
Hard to take Bridges True Grit seriously. Couldn’t get past the fact his eye patch was on his right eye and continued to shoot right handed.

Hard to take Bridges True Grit seriously. Couldn’t get past the fact his eye patch was on his right eye and continued to shoot right handed.
Yes, but the dialog and acting was better in the Cohen brothers version

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back