Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Too Much??

Gunner46

I need some advice from the rest of you parents out there.

About a year ago I made a deal with my son( 4th grade), about his grades. If he got an 'A' I'd fork over $5, a 'B' $3, zilch for a 'C', and he had to start paying ME if he got anything lower. Honor Roll would fetch a $30 bouns and satright 'A's" $45.

So, far the little joker has set me back about $ 250 !!!!

Am I paying too much?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-13-2004 17:47: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

NOPE... It's important Early on that if they do a good job, they get money. thats what it's like the Rest of thier life
smile.gif

Although, You only need to make it "LOOK" like you're doing good I guess ... Look at me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

A job that is well done as a child, should be rewarded(It cost me an Idaho deer and elk hunt when Quick Draw graduated from high school, and a trip th Wyomung for passing her E.M.T. course)..

So lets see,,$250 so far,,your getting off easy
hump.gif
biggrin.gif

Hunterman(Tony)

mine is simple....

you do good in school you get to keep your things.

you do bad in school you find some other place to live. cause your not getting

no phone to use
no girlscout camp
no church camp
no friends to talk to afterschool
and your grounded for life(or untill your report card is better)
you forget to turn in your home work and I forget you live here
wink.gif

Dani does great in school and she loves school as well.she also is taking an early math class and goes to school one hour early.

I dont believe in paying off kids at all,

Delw

DELw..... Uhhhh I sure hope your Kids do well !!!! Becasue even at Age 8 or 9 it's still a Bit early to make a Living on the Street !!! ESPECIALLY if they can't get good grades in school !!!!

Thats harsh man
smile.gif

I'm with Delw on this one. We don't pay our kids we feed them and keep a roof over there heads they have nice clothes and don't want for very much. As soon as there grades go south life gets tough for them. On the other hand if it is working for you keep it up. Anything that keeps the kids learning in school is a plus.

Oscar I am really not that harsh,
rolleyes.gif

But I sure am not going to pay them for something that they should be doing in the first place.
got to remember they are kids and we are the parents, we all take care of our kids not buy them off(I dont mean it like that)

Like school work
cleaning there room and normal chores around the house.

like gar said we give them a place to live feed them and clothe them, and buy them pretty much anything they want.

Now that Dani is 13 going on 14 she wants things that we dont want to buy her, so we probally should start giving her an allowance, that way she could get things like cd's and other stuff.

Granted she will still have to do her normal things or she will loose it.

Maybe I am wrong in this day and age, But I dont feel I am.

I am not saying that someone is wrong for giving there kids money for report cards, I am just saying I wont do it cause I dont feel its right.

Delw

I'm with Delw, too. My wife & I give our kids an allowance, not a paycheck. We expect them to do well in school, keep their rooms clean, feed their pets, etc. and when they don't live up to our expectations, we dock their allowance. Works for us so far.

AnglerAZ

Delw... You wouldn't throw them out .... OHHh good, I thought you were serious
wink.gif

AnglerAZ, Welcome aboard (First off), then, re-read what ya wrote, You said you don't give them a Paycheck.. yet if they do their chores they get paid. If they don't do them they don't.

thats no different then giving them something if they do good at school, and don't give them anything if they don't.

confused.gif

I do have a Question. Is this a 1/4ly thing or a bi-anual thing ?

GAR-man, I didn't understand what you do either, I'm slow sorry. You said you provide food and shelter for your kids. And if they don't do good " life gets tough for them" ...

What does that mean ? Are you going to take Food or Shelter away ? At first I thought that was an AZ thing, but I see you're from Missouri. Here in Idaho we have to feed our kids and Give then shelter.. Go figure
wink.gif

The incentive thing is great in theory, but you have to be careful that your kids don't start taking what we called "bunny classes" just so they can get good grades and cash in. In other words, you need to balance good grades with good challenges--if your kid is skating by with straight A's that's good, but is it because they're really studying & learning or is it because they're taking remedial English and Cross-stitching 101?
wink.gif

Both of my sons missed hunting trips because of their report cards. Broke my heart, but they had to learn. We never gave allowances or paid for chores. If they wanted something, and it was within our grasp, and they needed it and weren't being punished they got it. To a certain extent.

Oscar your telling me up in Idaho if you take your kids food and shelter away you can get in trouble? say it isnt so.....

your state is going the way of Ca. I feel sorry for you
tongue.gif

AZangler

welcome to hunttalk dont let moosie get under your skin, he's just funnin with ya,

Well I have to get to the shop later boys and moosie.

Delw

Moosie,

I GIVE the kids an allowance every week so they can learn to budget, spend wisely, etc. but it is not a paycheck for doing their chores. They have to get their chores done whether they get an allowance or not.

I want my kids to learn that helping out around the house and doing good in school is their responsibility, not something they earn money for doing. If they fail to live up to their responsibility, one of the ways I punish them is to dock their allowance.
smile.gif

AnglerAZ

Yes, Moosie, but are you going to pay them through grade school and then take away their money when they get to high school? Where do you think THAT would lead?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

I say.. If a Kid can't make enough Money selling Meth or pot now a days by high school age.. then...., WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO !!!

Maybe I should update the situation. Then get some updated input.

I'm divorced. Not MY personal desired course of action, but it's done. He lives with his mom, Thank You NC courts (650 miles away). She got re-married 16 monthes after the devorce, to her boss. Ya think I shoulda saw that one coming????
confused.gif

She gives him $0.00 allowance. I give her 1/4 of my annual income as 'Child Suppoert'. He gets $1 for an 'A'. You can't even buy a big Hershey Bar for that now a days! Some motivation.
eek.gif
He has gone from counseling to Honor Roll in 18 monthes.

Maybe I'm just trying to compensate for a long distance Dad relationship, but a kid does need a couple bucks in his pocket every now and then. I just wanted to get a grasp of what the kids need now a'days for legitimate pocket money.

I know People that Give their Kids alot more... For ALOT less.. You give your Kid what the Fetch ya want
smile.gif

If nothing else, I think it;s a Good Idea, And I know thats all you were looking for anyways
wink.gif
grouphug.gif

I usually will take priviledges away for poor grades and bad behaviour.

errr LittleNut is suspended for 3 days for fighting and TE was put on the Principal's list for great grades. Maybe I should have LN pay TE?
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back