Tok Dall Sheep

bigskyguy

My wife is on a lucky streak. She drew a Tok sheep tag this year and closed on a nice bull caribou last year in a Draw only area. Pretty stoked for our first sheep hunt to be in such a great area. Booked our flight with 40 mile and getting geared up. Upping the weekly vertical to 4k a week until hunt time. Any advice is always encouraged and appreciated. It will be our first sheep hunt but not our first time in the backcountry.

Gotta love a woman that will get out there and hunt with you (I guess...mine won't hardly step out of the house unless she's going to work or shopping so I wouldn't know. LOL) Don't take this the wrong way but looks like yours is pretty is on the eyes which is a big bonus!!

Good luck. I'm always more excited for my wife's tags than she is about it.

Great for ya'll!! Dall is the only sheep that really trips my trigger, between their beauty and the locations I would love a shot at that!!

Wish us NR could hunt without a guide.i'd love to do the hunt but cant afford the price tag.my son wants to join coast guard when he graduates.I told him to get stationed in Kodiak so he can take Dad hunting brown bear and sheep.After that, he can go get stationed anywhere he wants
Nice picture of a tough Alaskan chic.Sorry, had too, its on half the bumper stickers out there.I'm glad my wife never went with me though

Dang, that's some good luck.

Can't help much. Never had that tag. Don't overlook the areas you can access off the road either, a lot of the "fly-in" stuff gets hit harder than the walk in stuff.

Is the tag early or late?

Buddy took a 41" out of a small valley in Tok in 2012 and saw another 15 legals, 2 more they figured over 40". Another friend went in last fall to the same valley and saw 2 legals, biggest maybe 37". Big die off last spring in the Tok/Delta area. You will find rams, but be prepared to hike. I was in Delta with a friend last fall and saw a couple maybe full curls, that was across the Johnson river from Tok. It was the first year I didn't put in for Tok and Delta tags, went with the Chugach area. Didn't draw anyway.
Don't want to be a buzz killer, just want you to know that the legal ram numbers are down so be prepared to hike. It only takes one anyway. Good Luck!!!

TB

Thanks for the advice and tips guys. Bambistew I'm pretty sure we've chatted before if you're the same Bambistew from AKoutdoorforum. If so I really appreciate the info and advice you sent me. I'm hoping the mild winter will have bolstered the full curl numbers. My wife loved elk hunting while in Montana and has really taken to hunting up here. She was not really on board with antlers in the house when we lived in Montana (she was cool with them outside on the barn though). However she's singing a different tune now and I have a feeling that if she scores on a ram we'll be making room on the wall for another mount. I just picked up a new Zeiss conquest 3-9x50 for her Tikka. She was pretty stoked on the difference in clarity over her old Bushnell. It's always a good thing when the ladies support good quality optics. :D

Sorry cant help you out I hunted near the Tok area in 2006 and took a real good ram but I had to do it with a guide. I am glad your wife is rethinking the mount situation. Not much prettier than a white ram in the house.

Congrats to your wife on a great trophy and the tag. I'm headed up from PA in August after my first white sheep also. Best of luck to her and good huntin'

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back