Caribou Gear

To the frame!

I have seen those online. Do they work pretty good?
They really do if the conditions are right. It needs to be soft enough for it to plow into the ground then it will catch and anchor. I used it once in pretty bottomless mud on a friends ranch and it pulled my old jeep right out. I also tried to unsuccessfully use it on some shallow hard pan while by myself. I wasn't able to hold the anchor upright and control the winch remote at the same time it was a complete failure and a good argument for a wireless remote. A great alternative is carrying a picket anchor system like we use to use.
(5) 4' long heavy duty concrete stakes. Using two in the front and 3 behind in a line like this.

Last edited:
my father carried a little 550 pound boat winch with 50 ft of 1/4" inch cable and some concrete stakes in his suburban thinking some day he might have to do that. Even I as a young teenager KNEW I didn't want to test that. My father has a habit of under sizing everything...(gates, beams, post. culverts, depth of pipes in the ground, etc.)

However I was impressed with the three stakes in a row... Dad never carried any webbing though.

Grew up in TN, living on the banks of a lake in the eastern part of the state. Family ran a marina. In the fall, TVA would draw down the level for winter storm storage, so the expanse of mud around the edges was impressive. One afternoon, a fella came up to us asking for help - he'd flagged down a boat and got a ride to our marina, needing help getting his Jeep CJ out of the mud. My dad sent me in his Blazer, since I knew how to get to the spot where the stuck jeep was through the woods. On the way, one of the stupid wide road tires got pushed off the rim by a stump, so I had to change the tire when we got on the lake bank. Got the tire changed, and everything set for pulling that little jeep out of the mud.

Little did my dad know that I was pretty expert at this, having gotten this rig or that (all his) stuck many times, so at the tender age of 17 I was being careful in how we set up the pull, and how we hooked up. Just as I was getting ready to get to work, my dad arrived in a boat, beached it, and strode up to the scene. He informed me he'd take care of it, and he shouldered into the rig past me, and promptly floored it. He buried that Blazer so fast you could hear the rig's belly hit the ground.

Was kinda glad that if he was going to bring his drunken butt to "help" that he at least had a boat big enough to take us all home. Two rigs buried in the mud, and he got to pay for the wrecker to pull them out - and then pull out the wrecker after it got stuck.

Of course, I high-centered my Trooper in the snow some years back. Funny, just how detailed the memories of my wife and sons are when it comes to that episode. Really, really lucky we didn't spend a couple of nights in the Cascades on that one - THAT is one time I won't complain about SxS rigs, they got word to the wrecker to come pull me out.

"Well,don't do that!" was mom's sage advice....lol
I have found it sound advice these days.
I have a bunch of stuff in my trucks at all times for emergencies. Stakes,hatchets,shovels,come a long.Never had a full winch on any truck. Every time I think I can thin it or remove some of it,I remember mom's advice and the fact I have not used any of them in years.

3 years ago I drove across the bottom here where it had dried out for a week with a roll of poly pipe. I dropped right to the axles....found the Tacoma will not pull a F-150 out of that, but my neighbors F-250 will ,ez. I had to pull out a chain I had rattling around in the truck.

It’s almost like you go out with the intention to get stuck. You have enough material to keep this thread going on your own. 😂
I prefer to say that I have first hand experience in multiple vehicle recovery techniques.
A few oops and a lot of winter mountain travel.
I always take a picture so I can laugh at myself later 😂

Last edited:
A Danforth style fluke anchor is much cheaper than a pull pal. They work pretty good in mud or sand.

Well I hate to brag….. but….

Pulled a real doosie last spring shed hunting in Wyoming. It was about 6 miles into the spot I wanted to get to and since I had my kids (8 and 5) with me I found a road to shave a couple miles off. (60% of the time my shortcuts work 20% of the time.) The classic, I know better…….. and then it’s too late. Pro tip, don’t try to drive a ram 3500 diesel with an aluminum flatbed across a bog while snow is still melting above said bog.……. Thank goodness some kind strangers got me pulled out. I will always owe them for my bout of stupidity. These wheel hooks come in handy though.

Attachments

• B1BCEAE1-64E6-4654-8EBF-D32E0274ED54.jpeg
    B1BCEAE1-64E6-4654-8EBF-D32E0274ED54.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 25
  • 77C558C1-767D-4399-95FD-ED7AD0D4BACD.jpeg
    77C558C1-767D-4399-95FD-ED7AD0D4BACD.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 25
Back