Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

To howl or not to howl

Slydog

34 years of coyote hunting and still the question pops into my mind at every stand, should I howl or just bark first. By this I mean, do I bark,bark howl or just bark,bark,,,,bark and wait to see if there is a reply. Belive this or not, I have gotten more responces with just the bark than with the howl but after they respond, the howl gets them to come in to investigate the scorce of the bark.

This question has been asked many times in my mind. For me its never easy but I have learned over the years to use my gut feeling at every stand. More times than not it pays off with fur.

After all when we call coyotes we are just trying to shock them into presenting us with a shot. Some shock easyer than others and some come in easyer than others. Changing up your calling will put more coyotes on strechers than the quest for the perfict rifle....I know that (comming from me) thats rich,,,LOL

slydog

The only time that I positively know when to bark is I come home and the door is locked.

Other than that I try different things. Try to figure these things out.
redface.gif

First and foremost,where I'm at there is an abundance of grey fox and bobcat,some redfox,many coon [ mostly nocturnal though occasionally shot and killed in daylight] and now the clever trickster has been added to the mix in ever increasing numbers.

So for me, howling would be a matter of not expecting anything else to come in,or not being able to do anything about it if it does. It would be useful for me, in that I could howl to locate,on the way to where I already plan to set up stand.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-23-2003 12:59: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

I asked a question like this one time, and was just about crucified. lol....

I normally howl before each set, I normally do not bark unless during the right time of year, or the coyotes start it.

I have had bobcats come to sets, after howling and foxes. I would agree that the howl doesn't increase your chances for these two , but it doesn't necesarily mean that they won't come in.

later pup

That's good to hear pup,almost everything I've read indicated otherwise,and I've got 2 howlers I'd like to use, a sly dog and a Rich Higgins,hehehehe!

Here at Moosies you won't be crucified,unless you're in the sportsmans issues section,hahahaha!!

This is a great place,just like Jim Saubier's small caliber site,full of good people ready to help and friendly as can be.

For me, no matter where I have hunted, it has ALWAYS been a bark first anywhere from one to three. That is my locator.

During the end of January on through February when they are starting to get horny for mating, I'll use the howlers after I bark.

smile.gif

O.K. I'm curious,I've been calling coyotes for a long time, this howling and barking is new to me!
Its always been my experience out west that you come in quiet,sit for a little while, and start calling, if a coyote barks then I get up and leave, as it means...they've been called before, they saw you...somehow they know your there!
Now if they howl I'll continue to call.
So you are using a bark as a locater?
and your calling them in with a howl?
I'm interested....very much so tell me more!

If I'm after coyotes only, I start my set with a lonesome howl....howwwwlllll and no barks and then give them a few minutes before going into the rabbit call. I use the barks and the howl...bark bark howl as a locator, before I am set up on a stand.
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-23-2003 15:08: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

As I've said many times, I use my gut feeling about each stand.

When I see the coyote first I like a lone howl right off the bat, just to get his attention and get him comming my way.

If I don't see anything then I like to bark 2 to 5 times softly and then do a lone howl.

sly

I have been toying with the idea of barking some. Like Doug I hooowwwwwll at every stand. I hate messing with what works. Other than changing pitch and cadence, it's a hard choice to step away from what works and try something new.

It seems that every stand is going to make me do something diffrent but that soft bark gets the attention of the close ones and will get a bark howl in responce.

As I have said many times if you do this and miss you will have to change what you do the next time you hunt that area. THEY DO LEARN.

slydog

Back