Caribou Gear Tarp

To Grip and Grin or not....lessons learned

F

fwagner

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260270&highlight=grip+grin

This fall I started a forum thread (see above) on the topic of taking pictures, specifically "grip and grin" style photos. I made this thread with the intention of hopefully getting a elk last fall and experimenting with different style of photos/presentations and showing them to non hunters or posting them on social media and gauging reactions of the people who viewed them.

Attached is a picture from this past Septembers Colorado muzzleloader season....it's a picture of my first elk ever, took my six years to finally get.

What I found was that showing people a picture they weren't used to seeing, a style of picture other than the traditional "grip and grin" almost always enticed the person to ask questions that I don't think they otherwise would ask. Almost always they asked me, "why aren't you smiling?", "Are you unhappy about killing an animal?", "Tell me more about why you took that photo that way".

Some of those responses may seem negative but those questions allowed me to get into a great discussion about how we hunters are conservationists and have great respect and admiration for the animals we hunt and ultimately kill. How we care greatly about them not only in numbers but also their habitats. In fact one person started hunting because he saw that picture and was so interested he wanted to take up the sport.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with grip and grin type pictures and we should all be proud but I found that thinking outside the box has allowed me more opportunities to spread our passion. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Attachments

• YHF_q4ezWORFUKhAeE%2CqMsXFlkJgJVZGNYsRdeoIlPFaaI_B7etD6OWW2EtyRo%2CgYQ09LCEM5Y0A5GDQtv9n14PZpPx-.jpg
    YHF_q4ezWORFUKhAeE%2CqMsXFlkJgJVZGNYsRdeoIlPFaaI_B7etD6OWW2EtyRo%2CgYQ09LCEM5Y0A5GDQtv9n14PZpPx-.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 613
Fwagner, I've never thought go the pose that you took above. I like it. Folks who don't take the time to clean up the animal first these days aren't doing us justice. Now don't get me wrong grip & grin poses are nice, but you have enlightened me to think outside the box. Thanks!

That is a great picture, it sure does invoke questions and too me more emotion.
Intense stare, animal in focus and your face in focus but all is out of focus.

Dinkshooter would jump on it's back with a cigarette in his mouth.

Nice pic BTW.

I like the picture.

I bet I'm not the only one though, that looks at the look on your face and thinks the thought going through your mind is "how the *&^% am I going to get this out of here?"

I like the picture.

I bet I'm not the only one though, that looks at the look on your face and thinks the thought going through your mind is "how the *&^% am I going to get this out of here?"

hahaha, that was exactly my thought. I have this same expression and look every single time.

"Why do I do this to myself"

That's an interesting photo. The way you had the focus on the Elk and your face while the rest is somewhat blurred, nice touch. But the other is the intense meaning in taking an animal and how much time and effort was involved. I guess the journey is what makes hunting so special to many of us. Plus the respect for the animal is so important. I fear many of the TV shows have no respect for the animals. That's one of the reasons I enjoy Randy's show so much, It's real and very respectful. Class Act comes to mind!!!!
Dan

I really like your picture. It is very tasteful, shows respect for the animal and portrays the seriousness of taking an animal's life for your benefit. Very nicely done and I applaud you for your creativity and the way you set this up!

And Dan O, I agree with you on Randy's show. I can't stand to watch some/most of the shows on "outdoor TV" anymore. Too much "production" and not enough "hunt" and I think they lack respect for the animal as well. Just interested in the kill.....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back