To fill the freezer...

WillieIV

If you had 4-5 days to hunt for a cow elk with an OTC rifle tag, which state and season would you go? I had some time free up vacation wise and wouldn't mind trying to fill the freezer. Coming from Iowa so a non-resident tag required. Willing to pay a trespass fee in order to get it done and a late season hunt doesn't scare me.

Welcome to HT! You might get better responses if you let us know which states you're considering--then folks with experiences in those could weigh in.

Any state is up for consideration that has an OTC rifle tag available. They all taste the same right :)

OTC cow rifle tag? Not sure where you'd find one of those for public land tbh. Might be some landowner tags you could purchase.

OTC cow rifle tag? Not sure where you'd find one of those for public land tbh. Might be some landowner tags you could purchase.
+1
prod.jpg

If you had 4-5 days to hunt for a cow elk with an OTC rifle tag, which state and season would you go? I had some time free up vacation wise and wouldn't mind trying to fill the freezer. Coming from Iowa so a non-resident tag required. Willing to pay a trespass fee in order to get it done and a late season hunt doesn't scare me.

I'd suggest looking at the Colorado leftover / returned tag list, compare that to historical success rates, log in in early August, get a tag and go hunting

I'd suggest looking at the Colorado leftover / returned tag list, compare that to historical success rates, log in in early August, get a tag and go hunting
I did this 2 years ago. Snagged a cow elk tag off the leftover list in a group of units that had hundreds of tags on the leftover list. During that hunt I had 4 legal bulls in my scope, but not a single cow. LOL That's my luck.

Should have started a little earlier. Private ground for a fee is still available. Idaho non res tags are available though an outfitter. Deer is still doable.

Last edited:
If you dont mind late season or paying more I think a new mexico landowner tag could be good . Probably cost a little more but I'm pretty sure you'll fulfill the goal of filling the freezer.
I thought NM no cows for nonres? Maybe different with land owner tags. Think your going to CO at this point either way and welcome to HT

I thought NM no cows for nonres? Maybe different with land owner tags. Think your going to CO at this point either way and welcome to HT
Yah I I'm pretty sure you can get nonresident cow tags via landowner friend of a friend owns a ranch and they go every couple years with cow tag iirc.

How much research have you done?

Well since my vacation time just got freed up.... not much. I figured that was evident in my original post. Since then, I've been researching states and options and thought reaching out on a hunting forum might not hurt. I know better than to ask for specific units, dates etc. Not my first year around the sun... Thanks for your help.

Well since my vacation time just got freed up.... not much. I figured that was evident in my original post. Since then, I've been researching states and options and thought reaching out on a hunting forum might not hurt. I know better than to ask for specific units, dates etc. Not my first year around the sun... Thanks for your help.
Your response tells me I asked the right question. Good luck

It isn’t cheap but the Mescalero Reservation offers cow hunts. Never did it myself so can’t speak on actual cost or quality of the hunt but a guy used to bring in a truck load of cow elk every year to my uncles wild game processing shop n the cows were always in very good shape

It isn’t cheap but the Mescalero Reservation offers cow hunts. Never did it myself so can’t speak on actual cost or quality of the hunt but a guy used to bring in a truck load of cow elk every year to my uncles wild game processing shop n the cows were always in very good shape
I had forgotten all about those. Good tip!

However, it looks like every hunt requires you to hire a guide, and you must use no less than 165 grain bullets regardless of caliber. Drawing was done in March for 2020 hunts.

Last edited:
Back