Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

To break or not to Break

Rooster52

I have a browning abolt in 338 mag,havebeen considering having a muzzlebreak installed.
What the plus and minus of a break on the 338 magnum .Also if I have a break installed,I am having the barrelcut down.

Ummmm... Brake, not break. If you need a brake to shoot it, might not be the cartridge for you. mtmuley

I like the idea of having a break but guns are loud enough without them. Unless you wear constant hearing protection while hunting then there are too many situations where you dont have the time to get them on.

I have been using the Walkers Alpha 360 Ear protection. They are electronic muffs that fit over the ears. They have stereo wind-proof speakers, and with them on low, I can hear my guide even if he whispers. The sounds are amplified allowing my aged ears to hear more than I did before. The batteries have lasted the entire hunt without being replaced. Got caught in the rain, and they still worked perfectly. Of course they block the sound of gunfire, and cost about $30.00 when on sale on Camofire. I have two pair, a camo one and a black one for backup. My guide kinda chuckled when I pulled them out last year, but after the hunt was over, he thought they were a great idea. I shoot a 340 Weatherby with a brake, and the ear muffs worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Try a PAST pad first. Very inexpensive investment to make. I can't stand muzzle-brakes personally, especially when shooting at the range with one next to me. With a PAST pad, I can shoot my 338 win mag, 348 win with metal butt plate, or any other rifle in my collection in a T-Shirt!!! No issues, no bruises, nothing. Yes I got a few weird looks from some of the manly men shooting on line, but once they saw me break out the 348 with metal butt plate and start shooting tiny tiny groups at 100, one of them came over and asked what " that thing on my shoulder was". I let him try it and if I remember correctly his words were something like " Going to Sportsmans after this to get one".

Now you may ask " well what about when hunting?". In all my years of hunting I have yet to feel or notice a rifle's recoil when shot at game!

Last edited:
The Past pad works great. I've shot a lot of rounds through RUMs that didn't have a brake using it. Try it. mtmuley

Now you may ask " well what about when hunting?". In all my years of hunting I have yet to feel or notice a rifle's recoil when shot at game!

Of course, if it was a shotgun with a turkey load you'd still notice the recoil. Worst recoil of any firearm I own.

I have a PAST pad, and use it almost any time I'm at the range or practicing in the field, but don't use it hunting. I even use it with the braked rifles, which really makes them feel like smaller calibers.

Brakes can work well, especially at watching your shot at longer distances. However, if it's mainly for recoil then consider a pad for practice as already noted.
I also use a Shooterpad elbow pad under my right elbow if I'm at the bench.
http://www.shooterpads.com/products.htm

If you install a brake, I would recommend not shortening the barrel for two reasons. First, you're moving the muzzle blast closer to your ears. Second, with a 338WM a longer barrel will help you keep the performance you're after.
Otherwise you could get a 338 Federal instead.

A muzzle break destroys your hearing. I have a.338 A bolt that I love. Must wear hearing protection. Remember at the range, In the field it is hit or miss. I have hearing protection, but when excited, I forget.

Ear protection always at the range, brake or not....I know very few who use protection in the field. According to a geek I read, velocity falls around 25 fps per rifled inch....not drastic but I wouldn't cut the barrel if adding the brake.

Just keep in mind if you ever plan to use the rifle on a guided hunt, say in AK, many guides will not allow rifles with muzzle brakes. Apparently they value their hearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back