To AZ Natives

idnative1948

If you were coming to AZ from Idaho in April and you had friends who wanted to meet you around Sedona, where would you want to camp, and I am speaking of FS campgrounds.
We will be doing all of the canyon stuff and would like to get away from the big crowds if it is even possible? Will have trailer in tow as will our friends.

too bad you're not coming in May. the north rim will be open in mid May and it is much less crowded, and much more beautiful in my opinion. Check to see if the campgrounds are even open in April. I know some of them close in the "off season." I would camp around the Williams area. It's not too far from Sedona. Whitehorse Lake has a nice campground and you might be able to catch a few trout. Above all, enjoy the weather!

Many thanks!
This is kind of a last minute 3-week trip. We were wrong in figuring the *snow birds* would have started moving North. Also found out we are hitting Utah's spring breaks.
This trip is like somebody inviting you to go on a hunting trip and you only have a month to make reservations and get your .... together. Needless, a little stressed.

too bad you're not coming in May. the north rim will be open in mid May and it is much less crowded, and much more beautiful in my opinion. Check to see if the campgrounds are even open in April. I know some of them close in the "off season." I would camp around the Williams area. It's not too far from Sedona. Whitehorse Lake has a nice campground and you might be able to catch a few trout. Above all, enjoy the weather!

Stay outside Flagstaff around Lake Mary or such and go visit Sedona and GC. An hr from Sedona and not a pain in the ass. Sedona is beautiful,but a pain in the ass......anytime but winter now.
I used to stay on buddies gramps ranch just north,and we'd explore cliff dwellings and stuff on the ranch,then ride horses into town for ice cream.....but that was late 60's.
Now it's all million dollar vaca homes,greenies and buddist/artsy- fartsy retreats now, FS bought a bunch too.

It looks like the campgrounds on the Kaibab NF (Williams area) don't open until May.

Coconino NF has Clint's Well and Kehl Springs on the Mogollon Rim district that are open year round but would be about an hour drive to Flagstaff and Sedona

There are a handful in the Sedona area (Red Rock district) that are open in April. Follow the link and click the links for the different campgrounds for descriptions, rates and maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=54884&actid=29

I would look at making reservations in advance for the Sedona area campgrounds here www.recreation.gov

There are a few small trailer parks outside Flagstaff on Route 66 that usually have spots open for traveling RV'rs.

THANKS DALBO! This is good info. By the time we get to the Flagstaff area we will most likely be winging it, but perhaps should just go ahead and make a res to be safe. I tend to get real pizzy dragging a trailer around unfamiliar territory looking for campsites.

It looks like the campgrounds on the Kaibab NF (Williams area) don't open until May.

Coconino NF has Clint's Well and Kehl Springs on the Mogollon Rim district that are open year round but would be about an hour drive to Flagstaff and Sedona

There are a handful in the Sedona area (Red Rock district) that are open in April. Follow the link and click the links for the different campgrounds for descriptions, rates and maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=54884&actid=29

I would look at making reservations in advance for the Sedona area campgrounds here www.recreation.gov

There are a few small trailer parks outside Flagstaff on Route 66 that usually have spots open for traveling RV'rs.

Larry, while in the Flagstaff area try to make time to visit the Wupatki National Monument about 30 mi. North of town on 89 if you are in any way interested in Native American ancient dwellings. These are unique and very interesting.

There are some private parks that are nice just down the road some in Cottonwood I just remembered.

Thanks Ron. Type of things we want to see.[

QUOTE=tarheel;2421131]Larry, while in the Flagstaff area try to make time to visit the Wupatki National Monument about 30 mi. North of town on 89 if you are in any way interested in Native American ancient dwellings. These are unique and very interesting.[/QUOTE]

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back